Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

lio007 wrote:
Singabule wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 11:14
In the past, Newey and RB is the master of Y250 vortex, but Merc has totally surpass RB in this area. Hats off to them
What's your source for the statement "Mers has totally surpassed RB in this area"?
Probably the fact that RBR isn’t close to Merc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lio007

SmallSoldier wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 18:46
lio007 wrote:
Singabule wrote:
In the past, Newey and RB is the master of Y250 vortex, but Merc has totally surpass RB in this area. Hats off to them
What's your source for the statement "Mers has totally surpassed RB in this area"?

This doesn't mean that Merc has surpassed RB with the Y250 vortex.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

F1Krof wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 16:57
SmallSoldier wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 04:53
zibby43 wrote:Technical discussion with James Allison (man he's a joy to listen to):

https://streamable.com/q8zvl
Simply brilliant! Thanks for the link!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Is he leaking too much info I wonder? :wtf:
If other teams need YouTube videos to figure out their aero, they've got big problems!
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Suvesh
Suvesh

Just_a_fan wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 21:04
F1Krof wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 16:57
SmallSoldier wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 04:53

Simply brilliant! Thanks for the link!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Is he leaking too much info I wonder? :wtf:
If other teams need YouTube videos to figure out their aero, they've got big problems!
Williams probably need it lol

NoDivergence
NoDivergence

lio007 wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 18:57
SmallSoldier wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 18:46
lio007 wrote: What's your source for the statement "Mers has totally surpassed RB in this area"?

This doesn't mean that Merc has surpassed RB with the Y250 vortex.
It's simple physics. Mercedes runs at least as much flap as Redbull at the Y250 tips and doesn't have a wide nose to interfere with it

theformula

Merc experimenting with rear steer... =D>

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/repo ... rix-report
Hamilton's blessed with an ability to make a car do pretty much anything he wants - Mark Hughes

Singabule
Singabule

lio007 wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 18:31
Singabule wrote:
Race result from similar concept, however with Merc shallower rake.

PhillipM
PhillipM

theformula wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 02:20
Merc experimenting with rear steer... =D>

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/repo ... rix-report
Not this same old recycled crap again - we see news on this 'rear steering!' every 3 months. Every. Single. Team, has passive rear wheel steering. All of them. For years. Decades, even.

JasonF1

I believe I have learnt something new today regarding the Y250. Once it is past the bargeboard area, where does it go? I have always thought it was travelling along the bottom edge of the floor and solely acting as a sealant. Ted seems to understand it is travelling over the top edge of the floor but that doesn't match what James is explaining and wouldn't do much towards downforce generation as it would actually produce some lift. From James' explanation, it looks like it is actually travelling either side of the plank of the floor, with the double function of generating a strong suction itself (High energy air = lower pressure) and acting as a sealant at the same time. Is that right?

MtthsMlw

JasonF1 wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 20:56
I believe I have learnt something new today regarding the Y250. Once it is past the bargeboard area, where does it go? I have always thought it was travelling along the bottom edge of the floor and solely acting as a sealant. Ted seems to understand it is travelling over the top edge of the floor but that doesn't match what James is explaining and wouldn't do much towards downforce generation as it would actually produce some lift. From James' explanation, it looks like it is actually travelling either side of the plank of the floor, with the double function of generating a strong suction itself (High energy air = lower pressure) and acting as a sealant at the same time. Is that right?
I think this explains it quite well. Also some really nice visuals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjsUwFHQbWo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXKQezyl2Oo

Sierra117

Thanks for those! Does anybody know what he meant by the teams using an unrealistic frontal area for calculating their drag? I mean it sounded like he was trying to say that teams want to come a false picture of their car's drag ... Why though?
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

roon
roon

Morteza wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 14:05
Here's the full video on dailymotion
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x76tvfv
He mentions the importance of the FW cascades for Merc. Important for them since the Brawn days, actually. Despite their loss with this season's regulations change, Merc remain victorious.

He also describes their nose philosophy as trying to make the nose as transparent as possible to the Y250 region. This distinctly different than Red Bull, Ferrari, and McLaren's approaches which use as wide a front nose as possible. No one team will be ignorant of the options available. Interesting to see such different development paths competing.

Speaking of differing paths, he also brings up the FW tip height. For Merc, it being their way to regain the lost effect of cascades. He said it was why they had inward pointing endplates during testing. Ferrari and others not relying on this as much with their short wingtips.

mmred
mmred

roon wrote:
30 Apr 2019, 23:33
Morteza wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 14:05
Here's the full video on dailymotion
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x76tvfv
He mentions the importance of the FW cascades for Merc. Important for them since the Brawn days, actually. Despite their loss with this season's regulations change, Merc remain victorious.

He also describes their nose philosophy as trying to make the nose as transparent as possible to the Y250 region. This distinctly different than Red Bull, Ferrari, and McLaren's approaches which use as wide a front nose as possible. No one team will be ignorant of the options available. Interesting to see such different development paths competing.

Speaking of differing paths, he also brings up the FW tip height. For Merc, it being their way to regain the lost effect of cascades. He said it was why they had inward pointing endplates during testing. Ferrari and others not relying on this as much with their short wingtips.
there are downsides as well
a broader noose improves the undernose tunnelling that brings clean flux under the chassis
mercs solve it with the "second diffuser" surface
its a battle of different things at play

zibby43
zibby43

Found an article (with plenty of great photos) analyzing the W10's hardware.

What I found particularly interesting was the analysis of the W10's front wing evolution over the course of the season. Here's an excerpt:

"In China, and then in Azerbaijan, Mercedes made another step to maximize the efficiency of the W10's front wing: the outer edge of the uppermost flap had been modified with almost zero angle of attack in the last few centimeters. And the end plate was better optimized . . .

. . . A front wing solution that, at least according to the opinion of the writer, to the present day is the best front compromise in terms of efficiency and adaptability to the various circuits."

Full article:

https://www.f1analisitecnica.com/2019/0 ... stata.html

jjn9128

Sierra117 wrote:
30 Apr 2019, 20:17
Thanks for those! Does anybody know what he meant by the teams using an unrealistic frontal area for calculating their drag? I mean it sounded like he was trying to say that teams want to come a false picture of their car's drag ... Why though?
He explains what he means. Teams use a constant frontal area in their calculations so that local area changes don't affect the force coefficient calculations. Coefficients (Cx and Cz for drag and lift/downforce respectively) are calculated thusly:

Where S is the area, so because it's a divisor bigger areas (if the absolute force were the same) results in smaller coefficients. The frontal area used will be between 1.5m^2 and 2m^2 depending on the team, at the moment 1.8m^2 or thereabouts.

What he's saying at the end is that the coefficient is essentially meaningless without also quoting the area used. Some people work around this by quoting CxS or CzS which is also called the area coefficient, or the effective frontal area, which has units of m^2.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica