2017 Brazilian Grand Prix - Interlagos, 10-12 November

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Vasconia

Re: 2017 Brazilian Grand Prix - Interlagos, 10-12 November

ripper wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 11:54
In the same article LH says that he had a lot of fun running full power for the race, that who was in the first positions had to manage the PU as usual and they weren't able to push as hard as him. He also adds that this situation should be kept in mind when people speak about future. (I guess he's referring to FIA and 3 PU next year and/or 2021 engine)
Formula 1 wants to offer more fun to the fans, but at the same time teams will be able to use only 3 PU next season. Big contradiction here as Hamiltons seems to point out.

marvin78
marvin78

And it could be even more expensive. That's the point where this rule gets ridiculous.

F1NAC

JonoNic wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 11:12
F1NAC wrote:
Vasconia wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 10:20
I was indeed impressed by Lewis driving. He drove like a beast. Anyway I am shocked because he overtook many cars too easisly. It was a car for the race, many new parts and an aerodinamic package/set-up for the race but it was incredible.

Thats what you get when you are able to run in q mode for whole race
If Mercedes could get the PU to run in quali mode for its whole predicted lifespan then other manufacturers are doomed next season. This could be them testing that possibility for 2018.

I remember last season that Mercedes mentioned that they wanted to run something very special in the last race of the season. However, Hamilton's blowup last year put paid to those plans.

Sent from my SM-A700F using Tapatalk
I doubt that. Next year they are allowed for only 3 PU during season.And putting that much stress on them is too much IMO. This is definitely "show off" for the final 2 races.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Presumably the need to run the engines for so long will reduce wear on the tyres. We'll probably see lots of one stoppers with everyone in queues protecting their PUs.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

SiLo

I feel Hamilton might have gotten Kimi if not for getting stuck behind Stroll (twice?). I guess that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes though.
Felipe Baby!

Jolle
Jolle

Just_a_fan wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 12:58
Presumably the need to run the engines for so long will reduce wear on the tyres. We'll probably see lots of one stoppers with everyone in queues protecting their PUs.
Because of? Less braking? Less corner speed? Or the few percent less power for each extra GP the PU has to last?

With ongoing development they will probably have the same output as now but for more GP’s.

TwanV
TwanV

ripper wrote:
In the same article LH says that he had a lot of fun running full power for the race, that who was in the first positions had to manage the PU as usual and they weren't able to push as hard as him. He also adds that this situation should be kept in mind when people speak about future. (I guess he's referring to FIA and 3 PU next year and/or 2021 engine)
Yeah, it was a bit embarrassing seeing Lewis' top speed against the other competitors, the way he blazed pass the RB of VER.. Thank god he had to start from the back, otherwise it would've been the most boring race of the season. A shame, I love the track and I have so many good memories of fantastic races here.

notsofast
notsofast

marvin78 wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 12:14
And it could be even more expensive. That's the point where this rule gets ridiculous.
Exactly. Where does the money go? R&D or manufacturing?

The strategy appears to be to design an engine that can do X + 10%, and then run it at X to make it last. Perhaps it's cheaper to just design an engine that can do X and manufacture more of them.

iotar__

- That was fascinating. I enjoyed dramatic, slow motion replays of blue flag lapping.

- "Maximum possible" (success story in every after race press release) is a minimum when there's no one to lose to around.

- Can't help but share Lauda's concerns about attempts to change this sporting spectacle perfection. Top teams ruined F1 in general and two of them (including his) massacred '17 season to an unwatchable pulp.

- Nothing wrong with open secret cheating refereeing and competitive no man's land the size of Jupiter behind 2 (Ham) or 3 (Ricc) top teams either.

Jolle
Jolle

notsofast wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 14:56
marvin78 wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 12:14
Exactly. Where does the money go? R&D or manufacturing?

The strategy appears to be to design an engine that can do X + 10%, and then run it at X to make it last. Perhaps it's cheaper to just design an engine that can do X and manufacture more of them.
Top (works) teams have a set budget (by PM, Daimler or whoever funds them) and it doesn’t really matter how much liberty they have within the rules or the cut between R&D/manufacturing/drivers.

The midfield and small teams are a different story. PU R&D costs should be on the work teams account, then it’s a simple sum. 3 PU’s cost less then 4.

f1316
f1316

We’re well off topic here but people love to bemoan the gap between top teams and the rest: what if McLaren join the party next year? What if Renault do too? Is five competitive teams enough?

If not, and if people won’t be happy until all teams are capable of winning a race on merit, then you’re looking at something different to the F1 I’ve seen in my life time.

Anyway, the Sommerfield proposal here seems to strike a good middle ground on the engine side:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/tech ... ow-974447/

If they are successful in bringing costs down enough, I don’t see why we can’t ease off on the longevity and run engines at full pelt for longer. F1’s a sprint not a marathon.

aral
aral

Any chance that we could get this thread back on topic? Look at the title of the thread and then post about the topic, please. If it continues off topic, some posts may get zapped without warning.

Edax
Edax

digitalrurouni wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 00:53
Edax wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 00:01

I think the most important thing Ham showed is that he could follow the Ferrari within 1 second. That somewhat surprising because th Merc generally is highly affected by wake turbulence.
This. I noticed that this year's cars don't seem to have AS MUCH difficulty following in the dirty air. I wonder if that has to also do with the tires being more durable this year thus allowing the drivers to push that bit or hold station in the dirty air?
I’m not sure that is the case, since people were complaining in other races.

The wind was pretty strong though this race. I guess that will help to equalise the conditions for the front runner and the follower.

Vasconia

TwanV wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 14:20
ripper wrote:
Yeah, it was a bit embarrassing seeing Lewis' top speed against the other competitors, the way he blazed pass the RB of VER.. Thank god he had to start from the back, otherwise it would've been the most boring race of the season. A shame, I love the track and I have so many good memories of fantastic races here.
I am sure he could have won the race but not with the margin you imagine. It was pretty clear that both the set-up and the PU were prepared for a high performance in the race.

Sieper

The Other reason would have been that Seb would then have been pushing as well. Now the 3 front runners (especially Ferrari) clearly weren't. Only when Verstappen approached Kimi he picked up the pace (and of course later when Hamilton had came through the pack).

But For Sure (lets rephrase, highly likely) Hamilton would have won here hadn't he crashed out in Q1.