2018 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, April 6-8

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
mclaren111

Re: 2018 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, April 6-8

Just_a_fan wrote:
01 Apr 2018, 22:40
Of course, the real question is: WTF does any of this have to do with the 2018 Bahrain GP? :wink: :roll: :roll:
=D> :lol: :lol: =D>

ME4ME

f1316 wrote:
02 Apr 2018, 12:43
I think it’ll be very interesting to see if Ferrari really is that good on the straights vs the Mercedes (as Lewis is talking up) - as a result of a combination between good PU and overall low drag concept - or whether it was wing level due fuel consumption. I think this race should tell us.
In my opinion this is just some internal defense mechanism from Lewis. Mercedes have the power and efficiency to be as quick as anyone on the straights, they just choose to apply that in different way; being it running with less fuel or high downforce or a combination of the two.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Is Bahrain a good test of chassis for us?

Granted it has real power sections likely to hurt Renault and Honda PU teams but equally the high speed corners might give us a good chassis comparison, unlike the streets style of Melbourne’s Albert Park?

Looking forward to seeing the RBR and McLaren at this track with a view to potential later in the season. I half fancy RBR to surprise this weekend.

Moose
Moose

No - Bahrain has very little to test the chassis. More than Monaco, but not much.

godlameroso

?! I don't think so, it really tests braking stability, traction out of corners, there's a few mid speed corners that are challenging, although the really fast stuff is easy flat. More than anything the sand really tests tire wear, due to the low grip and low speed traction sections that can encourage wheel spin, it's also easy to flat spot the tires, the sand deposits change throughout the race because it can also be quite windy at night. As the warm desert day rapidly cools, the pressure lowers and invites winds, this is doubly so due to Bahrain being close to the sea. The sand also bonds with the rubber bits flying off the tires making marbles even worse.
Saishū kōnā

Artur Craft

Phil wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 16:04

I believe Ferrari was quick on the straights and slow in the corners because they had the handicap of having to save fuel more [than Mercedes]. In order to counter high fuel usage on one of the most demanding tracks for fuel (Melbourne is top 3), they ran less downforce than optimal for Melbourne.
Ferrari was not slow on corners, not compared to MErcedes. Kimi did 246kph on the fast S while Hamilton did 249. Both lacked compared to Red Bull as Verstappen did 262kph but Ferrari can't be called slow on corners. Watch Juzh's telemetry video for more info

Interesting thing, I watched the Q3 laps of Vettel and Ricciardo and it's clear how much more track they used than Hamilton on his pole lap. The gap is even bigger than 0.7s. An Alonso pushing that Merceceds 99% of it's capability might stretch the gap to almost 1s. On the long straights of Bahrain the dominance will be even bigger but at least there will be battles and overtakings

TAG

Artur Craft wrote:
03 Apr 2018, 02:06
Interesting thing, I watched the Q3 laps of Vettel and Ricciardo and it's clear how much more track they used than Hamilton on his pole lap. The gap is even bigger than 0.7s. An Alonso pushing that Merceceds 99% of it's capability might stretch the gap to almost 1s.
Because Alonso has built such a reputation on being a top qualifier.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Artur Craft wrote:
Phil wrote:
29 Mar 2018, 16:04

I believe Ferrari was quick on the straights and slow in the corners because they had the handicap of having to save fuel more [than Mercedes]. In order to counter high fuel usage on one of the most demanding tracks for fuel (Melbourne is top 3), they ran less downforce than optimal for Melbourne.
Ferrari was not slow on corners, not compared to MErcedes. Kimi did 246kph on the fast S while Hamilton did 249. Both lacked compared to Red Bull as Verstappen did 262kph but Ferrari can't be called slow on corners. Watch Juzh's telemetry video for more info

Interesting thing, I watched the Q3 laps of Vettel and Ricciardo and it's clear how much more track they used than Hamilton on his pole lap. The gap is even bigger than 0.7s. An Alonso pushing that Merceceds 99% of it's capability might stretch the gap to almost 1s. On the long straights of Bahrain the dominance will be even bigger but at least there will be battles and overtakings
Lewis is not known for using the whole track on exit, if that's what you are refering to. That is just his driving style, and I'd say he is doing quite well with it, if you know his track record. Vettel, on the other hand loves to use the whole track, and then some.

makecry
makecry

TAG wrote:
03 Apr 2018, 02:13
Artur Craft wrote:
Interesting thing, I watched the Q3 laps of Vettel and Ricciardo and it's clear how much more track they used than Hamilton on his pole lap. The gap is even bigger than 0.7s. An Alonso pushing that Merceceds 99% of it's capability might stretch the gap to almost 1s.
Because Alonso has built such a reputation on being a top qualifier.
Eh. ALO has never had a car he can show his qualifying speed in last 10 years but he has been just as fast as anyone out there when he has had the car to show his speed. But yeah, carry on :)

TAG

makecry wrote:
03 Apr 2018, 03:38

Eh. ALO has never had a car he can show his qualifying speed in last 10 years but he has been just as fast as anyone out there when he has had the car to show his speed. But yeah, carry on :)
It's not so much about the car it's about the teammate. If you think this record speaks volumes, then so be it. I have a different opinion based on these results and the guys he's gone up against. He makes up for it with great starts though. :)

Anyway back on topic, he's sure to beat Vandoorne this weekend.
Last edited by TAG on 03 Apr 2018, 14:06, edited 1 time in total.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Juzh

Laptime predictions? I'm going conservative with a 1:27.4. Track conditions weren't optimal in australia so I'd say cars had a bit more in reserve.

Vasconia

TAG wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 15:12
Vasconia wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 14:44
Last year the Mercedes were vastly superior on qualy but Vettel managed to win the race. Could it happen again?.
I hope Vettel's luck continues to hold, otherwise I fear for Ferrari given the huge performance gap revealed in Australia.
Apart from pure luck I hope Ferrari can unlock more potential from their car.

GPR-A duplicate2

Moose wrote:
02 Apr 2018, 22:36
No - Bahrain has very little to test the chassis. More than Monaco, but not much.
In that case, Sauber should be on par with Ferrari, Williams and FI should be on par with Mercedes!

digitalrurouni
digitalrurouni

I don't understand the argument about the Bahrain track not having much to test the chassis. Seemed to me that from turn 4 on to the straight in the middle of the track is pretty technical. So you need a good chassis and a suspension setup which will help you attack the corners and also scrub off the speed for that left hander on to the straight. And you will need mechanical grip to come out of the left hander after the straight and engine grunt cause it's a bit uphill and you need good aero to keep you flat through that section too. I love driving that track in the sim :)

Moose
Moose

The argument is that while that section is highly technical, it only takes about 14 seconds to get through it (discounting the short straight in it). That's a very small fraction of the lap. The rest is a couple of high speed corners, and 4 straights.

Your argument is a little like claiming that the old Hockenheim is a technical circuit because it has the stadium complex at the end.