2018 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, April 6-8

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Morteza
1598
User avatar
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:23 pm
Location: Bushehr, Iran

2018 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, April 6-8

Post by Morteza » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:45 am

Image

Tire Choices
Image

2017 Results
Image

Image

2017 Pole Lap
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

F1NAC
154
User avatar
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:35 pm
Location: CRO

Re: 2018 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, April 6-8

Post by F1NAC » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:15 am

They should put one drs zone between 13 and 14 with another detection at the end of that zone so the guy who has been overtaken can try to regain his lost position

ThumbsUp
23
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:32 am

Re: 2018 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, April 6-8

Post by ThumbsUp » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:43 am

F1NAC wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:15 am
They should put one drs zone between 13 and 14 with another detection at the end of that zone so the guy who has been overtaken can try to regain his lost position
Also between turn 3 and 4 is it possible, detection point between turn 2 and 3.. Heck they can put drs on all straights here :D

Vasconia
39
User avatar
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:45 am
Location: Basque Country

Re: 2018 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, April 6-8

Post by Vasconia » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:44 pm

Last year the Mercedes were vastly superior on qualy but Vettel managed to win the race. Could it happen again?. High temperatures should benefit them and they were truly fast on the straights during the last race. Still, I see the Mercedes as the clear favourites.

RB should be clearly behind this time and perhaps Haas could be a threat for them.

TAG
95
User avatar
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:18 pm
Location: in a good place

Re: 2018 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, April 6-8

Post by TAG » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:12 pm

Vasconia wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:44 pm
Last year the Mercedes were vastly superior on qualy but Vettel managed to win the race. Could it happen again?.
I hope Vettel's luck continues to hold, otherwise I fear for Ferrari given the huge performance gap revealed in Australia.
Fighting for a 6th World Drivers' Championship ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ThumbsUp
23
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:32 am

Re: 2018 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, April 6-8

Post by ThumbsUp » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:12 pm

There is a 3rd DRS zone coming for the Bahrein GP, and also for Baku and Canada as an experiment and IF the FIA thinks it's it works out they are going to do this on most circuits.

Source:
https://www.f1today.net/en/news/f1/2372 ... t-circuits

Fulcrum
101
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:05 pm

Re: 2018 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, April 6-8

Post by Fulcrum » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:23 pm

Getting to the point where they may as well make it everywhere you feel comfortable using it.

ThumbsUp
23
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:32 am

Re: 2018 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, April 6-8

Post by ThumbsUp » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:37 pm

Just as they did a few years back in practice you could use it everywhere.. But the point is that if you can use it everywhere how are you going figure out who can use it. Then I would say remove DRS and get the KERS button back.

vanburin
0
User avatar
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:33 pm

Re: 2018 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, April 6-8

Post by vanburin » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:45 pm

ThumbsUp wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:37 pm
Just as they did a few years back in practice you could use it everywhere.. But the point is that if you can use it everywhere how are you going figure out who can use it. Then I would say remove DRS and get the KERS button back.
Either a near infinite amount of detective zones (not practical) or simply when you are within 1 second of a car in front, no matter where on the circuit, you have the ability to engage DRS. It would be fun to see, even if it results in a select few areas of risk/reward on a curved-like straight. I'm thinking along the full straight section of Interlagos after Turns 13/14 and the Monaco tunnel to name a couple. Not sure how realistic this would be, if grip levels can be sustained through these sections with the DRS opened up.

GPR-A
167
User avatar
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:00 am

Re: 2018 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, April 6-8

Post by GPR-A » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:46 pm

TAG wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:12 pm
Vasconia wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:44 pm
Last year the Mercedes were vastly superior on qualy but Vettel managed to win the race. Could it happen again?.
I hope Vettel's luck continues to hold, otherwise I fear for Ferrari given the huge performance gap revealed in Australia.
Will Mercedes bloat the pole sitter's tyres with excess pressure, again?

TAG
95
User avatar
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:18 pm
Location: in a good place

Re: 2018 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, April 6-8

Post by TAG » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:04 pm

GPR-A wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:46 pm
TAG wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:12 pm
Vasconia wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:44 pm
Last year the Mercedes were vastly superior on qualy but Vettel managed to win the race. Could it happen again?.
I hope Vettel's luck continues to hold, otherwise I fear for Ferrari given the huge performance gap revealed in Australia.
Will Mercedes bloat the pole sitter's tyres with excess pressure, again?
I think they're going to have to if we're going to drag this season out till Abu Dhabi.
Fighting for a 6th World Drivers' Championship ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PlatinumZealot
339
User avatar
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: 2018 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, April 6-8

Post by PlatinumZealot » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:18 pm

The bad taste of Melbourne is still in my mouth. Such a shambles by Mercedes. Bahrain was a track that suited the Ferrari last year. Fortunately for Mercedes, the car characteristics seem to have flipped: Ferrari are fast on the straights and Merc are fast in the corners.
Last edited by PlatinumZealot on Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The true champions are also great men. They are capable of making difficult decisions, of admitting their mistakes and of pushing harder than before when they get up from a fall."

- Ferrari chairman Sergio Marchionne

dans79
181
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:33 pm
Location: USA

Re: 2018 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, April 6-8

Post by dans79 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:41 pm

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:18 pm
The bad taste of Melbourne is still in my mouth. Such a shambles by Mercedes. This was a track that suited the Ferrari last year. Fortunately for Mercedes, the car characteristics seem to have flipped: Ferrari are fast on the straights and Merc are fast in the corners.
I think its was more that Merc didn't have their tire/set-up issue under control yet, than the track suiting Ferrari.

Gothrek
3
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:06 pm

Re: 2018 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, April 6-8

Post by Gothrek » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:34 am

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:18 pm
The bad taste of Melbourne is still in my mouth. Such a shambles by Mercedes. Bahrain was a track that suited the Ferrari last year. Fortunately for Mercedes, the car characteristics seem to have flipped: Ferrari are fast on the straights and Merc are fast in the corners.
No worries, all others already have a bad taste of 4 years of Mercedes dominance. You will get a good taste back later this year with another WCC/WDC

djos
111
User avatar
Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 5:09 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: 2018 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, April 6-8

Post by djos » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:55 am

vanburin wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:45 pm
ThumbsUp wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:37 pm
Just as they did a few years back in practice you could use it everywhere.. But the point is that if you can use it everywhere how are you going figure out who can use it. Then I would say remove DRS and get the KERS button back.
Either a near infinite amount of detective zones (not practical) or simply when you are within 1 second of a car in front, no matter where on the circuit, you have the ability to engage DRS. It would be fun to see, even if it results in a select few areas of risk/reward on a curved-like straight. I'm thinking along the full straight section of Interlagos after Turns 13/14 and the Monaco tunnel to name a couple. Not sure how realistic this would be, if grip levels can be sustained through these sections with the DRS opened up.
A good option would be to specify that you need to be within 1 second of the car in front for a particular duration so you have to earn it.
The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.