2019 Canadian Grand Prix - Montreal June 7-9

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
dans79

Re: 2019 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal June 7-9

Phil wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 19:30
It's like someone locking up and wiping out other cars. Yes, it was unintentional, but a mistake was made and there was a consequence of that mistake. Making a mistake should not make you immune to penalties.
yep, mistakes have consequences, the problem with modern society is that far too many think the consequences don't apply to them or should be circumstantial.
197 104 103 7

Ringleheim

So today Autosport reports that Ferrari "Forgot" to inform Leclerc about Vettel's penalty, so he didn't have extra incentive to try and close down the gap to Vettel/Hamilton and maybe move up into second place ahead of Vettel.

I highly doubt Ferrari "Forgot" but rather wanted to protect Vettel's position and favor Vettel over Leclerc.

This season is already lost so it really doesn't matter, but I don't like the way Ferrari continues to screw over their own up and coming driver (Leclerc) in favor of a guy who has shown a lot of roughness around the edges and is closer to the end of his career than the beginning.

As a giant Ferrari fan, I'll be glad when our No. 1 is not Vettel; we can do better.

Freddy, are you ready to come back to F1?!

DutchDopey

mzso wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 16:26
Do you have a link to this video? (Or can you upload it somewhere if it's a local file.)
You can see some of it behind the spinning car; https://youtu.be/kIdFuozTKrQ?t=53

izzy

Ringleheim wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 20:02
So today Autosport reports that Ferrari "Forgot" to inform Leclerc about Vettel's penalty, so he didn't have extra incentive to try and close down the gap to Vettel/Hamilton and maybe move up into second place ahead of Vettel.

I highly doubt Ferrari "Forgot" but rather wanted to protect Vettel's position and favor Vettel over Leclerc.

This season is already lost so it really doesn't matter, but I don't like the way Ferrari continues to screw over their own up and coming driver (Leclerc) in favor of a guy who has shown a lot of roughness around the edges and is closer to the end of his career than the beginning.

As a giant Ferrari fan, I'll be glad when our No. 1 is not Vettel; we can do better.

Freddy, are you ready to come back to F1?!
I suppose the thinking is they have to back Seb to the hilt, to get the best out of him, and Charles is only 21 still and making 21-year-old type mistakes. It'd destroy their 4xwdc driver not to have him as the No1. Teams are always like this, they sense the top alpha and gather round him, and when they don't, like McLaren in 2010-12, they suffer

Charles' time will come, it's just a bit too soon. And yes Fernando would be amazing, but he's 38 this year. So you guys have to hang in with Seb, hope Lewis can't resist, and wait for Charles to come of F1 age in a couple of years

marvin78

The Black Knight wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 17:38
marvin78 wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 07:37
The Black Knight wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 07:09
I remember a couple of years ago, a young Valentino Rossi in MotoGP got a ten second timed penalty while leading the race (I cannot remember year or track).

Instead of complaining over the radio about it, he drove an amazing final section of the race and built a gap of ten seconds to win anyway.

This is what Vettel should have at least tried to do on Sunday.
He did not have the car to Do that. That Was clearly visible. Vettel usually does that with the i
right car.
He didn’t even try though, just cried over the radio instead.
I did not know, that you were in the car.

Seriously, how Do you know that? It's ridiculous how many assumptions you guys state as facts.

zeph

I read Vettel had to save fuel, so he couldn't really turn it up and drive away. I think it was Mark Hughes GP review. Ferrari supposedly underfueled him because they thought there would be a safety car.

NathanOlder

DutchDopey wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 20:06
mzso wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 16:26
Do you have a link to this video? (Or can you upload it somewhere if it's a local file.)
You can see some of it behind the spinning car; https://youtu.be/kIdFuozTKrQ?t=53
I viewed it on F1TV that I pay for. Sorry I cant post a link
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

TAG

zeph wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 21:20
I read Vettel had to save fuel, so he couldn't really turn it up and drive away. I think it was Mark Hughes GP review. Ferrari supposedly underfueled him because they thought there would be a safety car.
It's difficult to believe Ferrari would take a strategic gamble like that. They really must be under a lot of pressure.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Restomaniac

Shrieker wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 15:29
waynes wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 09:34
Shrieker wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 17:50
They had him go long and have fresher tires for later on in case there was a SC. So they split their 2 cars to cover for both eventualities (sc vs no sc). Lec had fallen back sufficiently already before the leaders had their stops, so it was only logical to go for a different plan with him; I don't blame Ferrari here.
Wasn't he catching VET / HAM when the stops started happening? I fully understand what you say, and yes its logical to split strategies looking back.
An early pit for Lec to undercut Ham would've forced the team's hand to pit Vet to cover from a Ham undercut, causing both Lec and Vet to have a compromised race in case there was a SC later.
LeClerc couldn’t pit earlier as there wasn’t the gap. That’s was why Hamilton couldn’t come in the very next lap after Vettel either.

NathanOlder

So glad Renault did well. The PU looked fine, none of the others could breeze by on the long straight here. So looks like they could be finally going the right way.

This result should boost morale and hopefully they have sone decent updates for their home grand prix in a few weeks.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

mzso

Big Tea wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 17:41
I have let this simmer a while before adding my 2d worth, but I feel even though the letter of the law says 'penalty' it should not have bee applied in the interest of the sport.
If you don't penalize something that brakes a rule just because it's unpopular than that's not sport anymore.

mzso

Shrieker wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 17:17
On the downside, I can see this getting abused by one driver for example to help his team mate etc. (obviously wasn't the case last Sunday).
How?

izzy wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 20:17
I suppose the thinking is they have to back Seb to the hilt, to get the best out of him, and Charles is only 21 still and making 21-year-old type mistakes. It'd destroy their 4xwdc driver not to have him as the No1. Teams are always like this, they sense the top alpha and gather round him, and when they don't, like McLaren in 2010-12, they suffer

Charles' time will come, it's just a bit too soon. And yes Fernando would be amazing, but he's 38 this year. So you guys have to hang in with Seb, hope Lewis can't resist, and wait for Charles to come of F1 age in a couple of years
You mean 21 year old mistakes like driving more reliably than Vettel despite the team constantly handicapping him?
You're spewing some ridiculous ageist crap.

If they sensed an alpha they'd be supporting Leclerc absolutely.

dans79

mzso wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 22:47
Big Tea wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 17:41
I have let this simmer a while before adding my 2d worth, but I feel even though the letter of the law says 'penalty' it should not have bee applied in the interest of the sport.
If you don't penalize something that brakes a rule just because it's unpopular than that's not sport anymore.
Yep, it's just an automotive equivalent of WWE without real rules!
197 104 103 7

digitalrurouni

TAG wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 21:30
zeph wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 21:20
It's difficult to believe Ferrari would take a strategic gamble like that. They really must be under a lot of pressure.
Or their PU is not as efficient as the Mercedes PU.

timbo

mzso wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 22:47
Uhm
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... -kanada%2F