2019 Canadian Grand Prix - Montreal June 7-9

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
dans79
194
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:33 pm
Location: USA

Re: 2019 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal June 7-9

Post by dans79 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:49 pm

Phil wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:30 pm
It's like someone locking up and wiping out other cars. Yes, it was unintentional, but a mistake was made and there was a consequence of that mistake. Making a mistake should not make you immune to penalties.
yep, mistakes have consequences, the problem with modern society is that far too many think the consequences don't apply to them or should be circumstantial.

Ringleheim
3
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:02 am

Re: 2019 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal June 7-9

Post by Ringleheim » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:02 pm

So today Autosport reports that Ferrari "Forgot" to inform Leclerc about Vettel's penalty, so he didn't have extra incentive to try and close down the gap to Vettel/Hamilton and maybe move up into second place ahead of Vettel.

I highly doubt Ferrari "Forgot" but rather wanted to protect Vettel's position and favor Vettel over Leclerc.

This season is already lost so it really doesn't matter, but I don't like the way Ferrari continues to screw over their own up and coming driver (Leclerc) in favor of a guy who has shown a lot of roughness around the edges and is closer to the end of his career than the beginning.

As a giant Ferrari fan, I'll be glad when our No. 1 is not Vettel; we can do better.

Freddy, are you ready to come back to F1?!

DutchDopey
0
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:54 pm

Re: 2019 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal June 7-9

Post by DutchDopey » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:06 pm

mzso wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:26 pm
Do you have a link to this video? (Or can you upload it somewhere if it's a local file.)
You can see some of it behind the spinning car; https://youtu.be/kIdFuozTKrQ?t=53

izzy
13
User avatar
Joined: Sun May 26, 2019 9:28 pm

Re: 2019 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal June 7-9

Post by izzy » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:17 pm

Ringleheim wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:02 pm
So today Autosport reports that Ferrari "Forgot" to inform Leclerc about Vettel's penalty, so he didn't have extra incentive to try and close down the gap to Vettel/Hamilton and maybe move up into second place ahead of Vettel.

I highly doubt Ferrari "Forgot" but rather wanted to protect Vettel's position and favor Vettel over Leclerc.

This season is already lost so it really doesn't matter, but I don't like the way Ferrari continues to screw over their own up and coming driver (Leclerc) in favor of a guy who has shown a lot of roughness around the edges and is closer to the end of his career than the beginning.

As a giant Ferrari fan, I'll be glad when our No. 1 is not Vettel; we can do better.

Freddy, are you ready to come back to F1?!
I suppose the thinking is they have to back Seb to the hilt, to get the best out of him, and Charles is only 21 still and making 21-year-old type mistakes. It'd destroy their 4xwdc driver not to have him as the No1. Teams are always like this, they sense the top alpha and gather round him, and when they don't, like McLaren in 2010-12, they suffer

Charles' time will come, it's just a bit too soon. And yes Fernando would be amazing, but he's 38 this year. So you guys have to hang in with Seb, hope Lewis can't resist, and wait for Charles to come of F1 age in a couple of years

marvin78
13
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:33 am

Re: 2019 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal June 7-9

Post by marvin78 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:47 pm

The Black Knight wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:38 pm
marvin78 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:37 am
The Black Knight wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:09 am
I remember a couple of years ago, a young Valentino Rossi in MotoGP got a ten second timed penalty while leading the race (I cannot remember year or track).

Instead of complaining over the radio about it, he drove an amazing final section of the race and built a gap of ten seconds to win anyway.

This is what Vettel should have at least tried to do on Sunday.
He did not have the car to Do that. That Was clearly visible. Vettel usually does that with the i
right car.
He didn’t even try though, just cried over the radio instead.
I did not know, that you were in the car.

Seriously, how Do you know that? It's ridiculous how many assumptions you guys state as facts.

zeph
57
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:54 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: 2019 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal June 7-9

Post by zeph » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:20 pm

I read Vettel had to save fuel, so he couldn't really turn it up and drive away. I think it was Mark Hughes GP review. Ferrari supposedly underfueled him because they thought there would be a safety car.

NathanOlder
115
User avatar
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:05 am
Location: Kent

Re: 2019 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal June 7-9

Post by NathanOlder » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:23 pm

DutchDopey wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:06 pm
mzso wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:26 pm
Do you have a link to this video? (Or can you upload it somewhere if it's a local file.)
You can see some of it behind the spinning car; https://youtu.be/kIdFuozTKrQ?t=53
I viewed it on F1TV that I pay for. Sorry I cant post a link
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0

Does anyone play F1 2019 on Ps4, Now setting up a league at

https://rapidpixelracing.com

TAG
106
User avatar
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:18 pm
Location: in a good place

Re: 2019 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal June 7-9

Post by TAG » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:30 pm

zeph wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:20 pm
I read Vettel had to save fuel, so he couldn't really turn it up and drive away. I think it was Mark Hughes GP review. Ferrari supposedly underfueled him because they thought there would be a safety car.
It's difficult to believe Ferrari would take a strategic gamble like that. They really must be under a lot of pressure.
Countdown to 91: 10 more victories ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Restomaniac
3
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 12:09 am
Location: Hull

Re: 2019 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal June 7-9

Post by Restomaniac » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:57 pm

Shrieker wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:29 pm
waynes wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:34 am
Shrieker wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:50 pm
They had him go long and have fresher tires for later on in case there was a SC. So they split their 2 cars to cover for both eventualities (sc vs no sc). Lec had fallen back sufficiently already before the leaders had their stops, so it was only logical to go for a different plan with him; I don't blame Ferrari here.
Wasn't he catching VET / HAM when the stops started happening? I fully understand what you say, and yes its logical to split strategies looking back.
An early pit for Lec to undercut Ham would've forced the team's hand to pit Vet to cover from a Ham undercut, causing both Lec and Vet to have a compromised race in case there was a SC later.
LeClerc couldn’t pit earlier as there wasn’t the gap. That’s was why Hamilton couldn’t come in the very next lap after Vettel either.

NathanOlder
115
User avatar
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:05 am
Location: Kent

Re: 2019 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal June 7-9

Post by NathanOlder » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:18 pm

So glad Renault did well. The PU looked fine, none of the others could breeze by on the long straight here. So looks like they could be finally going the right way.

This result should boost morale and hopefully they have sone decent updates for their home grand prix in a few weeks.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0

Does anyone play F1 2019 on Ps4, Now setting up a league at

https://rapidpixelracing.com

mzso
9
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:52 pm

Re: 2019 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal June 7-9

Post by mzso » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:47 pm

Big Tea wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:41 pm
I have let this simmer a while before adding my 2d worth, but I feel even though the letter of the law says 'penalty' it should not have bee applied in the interest of the sport.
If you don't penalize something that brakes a rule just because it's unpopular than that's not sport anymore.

mzso
9
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:52 pm

Re: 2019 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal June 7-9

Post by mzso » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:58 pm

Shrieker wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:17 pm
On the downside, I can see this getting abused by one driver for example to help his team mate etc. (obviously wasn't the case last Sunday).
How?

izzy wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:17 pm
I suppose the thinking is they have to back Seb to the hilt, to get the best out of him, and Charles is only 21 still and making 21-year-old type mistakes. It'd destroy their 4xwdc driver not to have him as the No1. Teams are always like this, they sense the top alpha and gather round him, and when they don't, like McLaren in 2010-12, they suffer

Charles' time will come, it's just a bit too soon. And yes Fernando would be amazing, but he's 38 this year. So you guys have to hang in with Seb, hope Lewis can't resist, and wait for Charles to come of F1 age in a couple of years
You mean 21 year old mistakes like driving more reliably than Vettel despite the team constantly handicapping him?
You're spewing some ridiculous ageist crap.

If they sensed an alpha they'd be supporting Leclerc absolutely.

dans79
194
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:33 pm
Location: USA

Re: 2019 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal June 7-9

Post by dans79 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:59 pm

mzso wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:47 pm
Big Tea wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:41 pm
I have let this simmer a while before adding my 2d worth, but I feel even though the letter of the law says 'penalty' it should not have bee applied in the interest of the sport.
If you don't penalize something that brakes a rule just because it's unpopular than that's not sport anymore.
Yep, it's just an automotive equivalent of WWE without real rules!

digitalrurouni
20
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:50 pm

Re: 2019 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal June 7-9

Post by digitalrurouni » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:04 pm

TAG wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:30 pm
zeph wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:20 pm
I read Vettel had to save fuel, so he couldn't really turn it up and drive away. I think it was Mark Hughes GP review. Ferrari supposedly underfueled him because they thought there would be a safety car.
It's difficult to believe Ferrari would take a strategic gamble like that. They really must be under a lot of pressure.
Or their PU is not as efficient as the Mercedes PU.

timbo
108
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:14 am

Re: 2019 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal June 7-9

Post by timbo » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:08 pm

mzso wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:47 pm
If you don't penalize something that brakes a rule just because it's unpopular than that's not sport anymore.
Uhm
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... -kanada%2F