Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
djones

Re: Ferrari Power Unit

Yes, I meant the crazy start-up smoke :)

LM10

Alright then. :) I don't know, if it still was smoking at start-up. But from a technical point of view: Why would it stop smoking at start-up, but keep on smoking as usual on track? This means that only the heavy smoking after starting the engine would be related to the oil burning via turbo which Ferrari was accused of, but not the quite visible smoking on track. How so?

djones

Totally guessing. But in my head I thought maybe the turbo leaked oil slowly on purpose. And a small pool builds which then means it smokes like hell on start up.

Big Tea

LM10 wrote:
07 Jun 2018, 19:06
Alright then. :) I don't know, if it still was smoking at start-up. But from a technical point of view: Why would it stop smoking at start-up, but keep on smoking as usual on track? This means that only the heavy smoking after starting the engine would be related to the oil burning via turbo which Ferrari was accused of, but not the quite visible smoking on track. How so?
Maybe internal components have to reach a temp where a chemical change occurs or particle Sublimation?
Or the other end and particles condense while its cooler and 'burn' incorrectly?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

gruntguru

The whole point of deliberate oil-burning would be to make power. To get the maximum power benefit would require complete combustion of the oil. "Smoke" is an aerosol consisting of unburned solid or liquid particles. You can work the rest out.

Complete combustion of a heavy hydrocarbon would be more easily accomplished in a hot engine. Cold engine equals more smoke. Not to say there is/was not an issue with accumulated oil residue on startup - just saying engine temperature is another factor.
je suis charlie

RZS10

Any information about what went wrong with the spanking new engine in Grosjean's car?

amho

RZS10 wrote:
10 Jun 2018, 01:40
Any information about what went wrong with the spanking new engine in Grosjean's car?
Grosjean asked a wierd quastion: " engine failure or dumping oil" , what does he meant by "dumping oil" ? how can an engine dump oil without any engine failure?!!!
There is no Might or Power except with Allah.

amho

Ferrari and Mercedes both are accused of burning oil. Fuel and oil both are hydrocarbon, my question is that why Fia does not perform exuast gas analysis to count burn/unburn hydrocarbons at wot to find out temporary exessive oil burning?
There is no Might or Power except with Allah.

djones

I don't know why the Ferrari fans always say the oil burning issue is them and Mercedes.

At no point has anybody officially challenged Mercedes. Ferrari however were found with a second oil tank for a start.

Mercedes also highlighted things like using the turbo oil to the FIA.

djones

Was the Haas engine that blew up the new spec? If so, a bit worrying for Ferrari.

MtthsMlw

djones wrote:
10 Jun 2018, 16:39
Was the Haas engine that blew up the new spec? If so, a bit worrying for Ferrari.
Yes new spec. We don't know yet if it was an issue with the spec 2 engine in general or something Haas did 'wrong'.

Brake Horse Power

Dutch television reported a faulty assembly by Haas personnel. They also said the engine was still okay..

Sevach

Despite the big smoke show, you could see the engine still running.

Haas is creating a history of messing up procedure and installation.

PhillipM

Oil overfill, blew it out through the turbo seal.

godlameroso

Or someone forgot the restrictor on the feed line?
Saishū kōnā