Chicane Lane...

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
slinger

Chicane Lane...

Hi All

Curved questions to all you Racing enthusiasts :D .

Seeing as there is no lane changing allowed in the braking zone, would it not be interesting to put a pit lane exit type of no cross white line down the center of the road through a chicane and once you have picked you line into the braking zone you have to stick to your lane through the corner?

How would the 2 differing lines/lanes be advantaged or disadvantaged through the chicane as to the one being able to brake a bit later and the other being able to maybe get on the gas a little earlier?

Cheers... :wink:
Overtake you must, if not loose you will...

KeiKo403

Re: Chicane Lane...

I think this is a solution for a problem which doesn't exist in all honesty. Maybe others will see merit in the idea but I don't sorry.
Some thoughts I have on it though are:
  • In a simple 2 car battle with plenty of room on the track this would be easy, but it would be very Scalextric and not very sporting.
  • what if there is more than 2 cars? (also what about lap 1 with all cars?)
  • Is it safe to paint white lines in braking/turning/acceleration zones if the track is wet?
  • In narrower tracks like Monaco, I doubt this could even be implemented
  • Do cars have freedom of full track width if not in battle with another car?
  • what defines 'in battle with another car'?
  • what if Turn 1/2 Monza (For the Max/Lewis crash) both drivers choose the same part of the track, that forces single file as the track width is cut in half
  • How far back from the chicane does the 'pick your lane' start?
I'm not expecting you have answers to these, they would just be my concerns/considerations.

SiLo

I think a better rule should be to stop drivers moving late at all, moving late is what causes crashes.
Felipe Baby!

Hoffman900

I think the risk of crashing and DNF’ing is enough, but I might be a bit old school.

adrianjordan

Hoffman900 wrote: ↑
14 Sep 2021, 17:42
I think the risk of crashing and DNF’ing is enough, but I might be a bit old school.
Don't talk common sense!! 😝
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! πŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ

Stu

slinger wrote: ↑
13 Sep 2021, 16:36
Hi All

Seeing as there is no lane changing allowed in the braking zone, would it not be interesting to put a pit lane exit type of no cross white line down the center of the road through a chicane and once you have picked you line into the braking zone you have to stick to your lane through the corner?

How would the 2 differing lines/lanes be advantaged or disadvantaged through the chicane as to the one being able to brake a bit later and the other being able to maybe get on the gas a little earlier?

I was thinking of something a little different to that, what if there were no chicanes at all. Monza would be absolutely mental!
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

NL_Fer

Maybe the 2022 cars would allow for closer following and the are side by side earlier on the straight, with lesser speed difference.

Nowadays, they come together at the braking zone, with 20-30kph speed difference and sudden overtaking.

Big Tea

Stu wrote: ↑
14 Sep 2021, 19:15
Hi All

I was thinking of something a little different to that, what if there were no chicanes at all. Monza would be absolutely mental!
They would not get the battery charged would they ?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

JordanMugen

:wtf: :lol:

I see the emoticon there! Putting lanes on the track in motor racing -- be it the chicane or around the whole track -- would be bizarre in the extreme IMO.

sosic2121

Hi All

Yes!
Chicane is a lazy solution for "track being too fast and too dangerous".

PlatinumZealot

Hi All

It is a good Idea because chicanes ten to be low speed areas so feeding in from the Pits would be safer in theory.

The disadvantage to this is that chicanes are usually placed at points between alternate configurations. Meaning you have a high speed straight in configuration 1, but if it is too dangerous for one racing category you stick a chicane in the middle of it and call that configuration 2. Because of this the Pitlate exit line must be in a position to service the two configuations. If you run the pit lane exit line through the chicane in Config 1, it will add immensly to the pitstop time.

So in summary running pitlane exit through a chicane is OK for safety since its a slow speed area, but it can add much to the pitlane time loss depending on track configuations.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

flmkane

sosic2121 wrote: ↑
17 Sep 2021, 09:11
Hi All

Yes!
Chicane is a lazy solution for "track being too fast and too dangerous".

Hmm.... Monza with no chicanes
Top on my fantasy bucketlist tracks

Henne

Hi All

We just can't put everything in little rules. It just wouldn't work. Just let them race is what I would say. Too many rules or fingerpointing by race control at the moment.