2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
El Scorchio

Re: 2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

SiLo wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 15:41
Jambier wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 07:58
Will an engine change « cancel » the penalty?
I'm not sure, personally I don't think it should, because they what's the point of giving penalties to people who are already at the back of the grid?
It was said that a penalty of that nature would be carried over to the following race if a driver took engine penalties in the next one when the penalty from the race would usually be applied. Not sure if that's accurate or not.

SiLo

El Scorchio wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 15:48
SiLo wrote:
Jambier wrote:
I'm not sure, personally I don't think it should, because they what's the point of giving penalties to people who are already at the back of the grid?
It was said that a penalty of that nature would be carried over to the following race if a driver took engine penalties in the next one when the penalty from the race would usually be applied. Not sure if that's accurate or not.
Well if he only drops 10 places, then he can serve the 3 place one on top, I guess we might find out depending on what it is they change, if at all.
Felipe Baby!

El Scorchio

SiLo wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 16:08
El Scorchio wrote:
SiLo wrote:

Well if he only drops 10 places, then he can serve the 3 place one on top, I guess we might find out depending on what it is they change, if at all.
Exactly! Complex though, and as usual, there's probably not a proper rule or allowance for it!

basti313

SiLo wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 16:08
El Scorchio wrote:
SiLo wrote:

Yes, I think that would have been reasonable for Monza with a worse Sprint result. Go back 10 places and try to go to the podium. VER is lacking only an ICE.
For Sochi...with 10+3 you anyways are close to the end...the big question is if it really worth not to swap everything. Furthermore starting at the end will just end up with approaching turn 1 in front of the Haas. While starting from P13-15 leaves you in the middle of Astons and Alpines for turn 1....bodywork damage guaranteed...

If the tire allocation is similar to last year the strategy is anyways not easy. Ham lost strongly with taking the C3 too long. So I fear you are locked out with going very long due to tire life.

I fear this does depend agian strongly on Q: If RB is strong, I expect a 1-2 as this is one of Per strongest tracks. Then Ver will start behind the Mercs. Not a bad situation given the tow, he can maybe even jump one at the start, switch with Per and do the rest via strategy.
If they are weak and start behind the Mercs, the 10 place drop is the most sensitive thing to do. They anyways start behind McLarens or Ferraris. Means the Mercs are gone.
Don`t russel the hamster!

matt_b

No way are Red Bull taking an engine penalty in Sochi if Max qualifies P1/P2 and starts P4/P5 because he can still win from that position with a good start, I would expect the penalty to be taken as late as possible probably Brazil then they can go full power for final 4 races.

adrianjordan

SiLo wrote:
Jambier wrote:
Just playing Devil's Advocate here, but what would happen if a Haas were given a grid drop penalty? Would they never actually serve it? 🤔
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

RZS10

It's not even a hypothetical since it happened in Spain, Mazepin got a +3 for holding up Norris, was last in quali and nothing happened - So it'll be interesting to see what would happen should they really swap out the engine.
Last edited by RZS10 on 16 Sep 2021, 16:17, edited 1 time in total.

El Scorchio

RZS10 wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 18:14
It's not even a hypothetical since it happened in Spain, Mazepin got a +3 for holding up Norris, was last in quali and nothing happened - it wasn't changed to an in race time penalty like Max' grid drop in Canada 2015. So it'll be interesting to see what would happen should they really swap out the engine.
Then again, even an in race time penalty isn't a punishment or deterrent for anyone who is likely to qualify and finish 19th or 20th every race as they have literally nothing to lose from any of those things. (Sorry, going mildly off topic)

RZS10

True, ultimately it's just the license points that add up.

NL_Fer

I doubt Verstappen can do with just an ICE, probably the TC and MGU-K were hampered to by the sudden loss of cooling.

etusch

LaplacesDemon wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 14:58
etusch wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 20:29
dxpetrov wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 05:03
Don't be surprised if Hamilton had to change the engine next race. His engineer told told him the engine was cooked when he tried to reverse and continue.
I also expect that he lost his engine if plenum broke and if it didn't broke I will be surprized veeery much.

Verstappen also should take penalty if they will change it eventually. If they both do it in same race then both start back of pack and if we can watch a race like 2005 suzuka it would be great
Plenums, hydraulics and looms in that area are one of the few remaining PU components that can be replaced without penalty provided they are of identical specification.
I thought Redbull car hit merc's engine cover. But I think there is not damage at engine cover. But if it were damaged it would cause many broken parts went in the cylinder. at least I thought in this way.

Alexf1

NL_Fer wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 18:39
I doubt Verstappen can do with just an ICE, probably the TC and MGU-K were hampered to by the sudden loss of cooling.
Hope so, I fear they will change the ES too to the new spec and therefore have to start from the pitlane

Jolle

Alexf1 wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 00:09
NL_Fer wrote:
Hope so, I fear they will change the ES too to the new spec and therefore have to start from the pitlane
I think the PU components are all locked this year, so no new spec allowed. A start from the pitlane is the rule when you change something in parc ferme for another spec (between start from qualifying till after the race start).

Jolle

etusch wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 19:05
LaplacesDemon wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 14:58
etusch wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 20:29

I also expect that he lost his engine if plenum broke and if it didn't broke I will be surprized veeery much.

Verstappen also should take penalty if they will change it eventually. If they both do it in same race then both start back of pack and if we can watch a race like 2005 suzuka it would be great
Plenums, hydraulics and looms in that area are one of the few remaining PU components that can be replaced without penalty provided they are of identical specification.
I thought Redbull car hit merc's engine cover. But I think there is not damage at engine cover. But if it were damaged it would cause many broken parts went in the cylinder. at least I thought in this way.
These PU’s have an air filter, debris wouldn’t reach the cylinders.

Jolle

NL_Fer wrote:
They tested the PU in Hungary. It was only retired because of cracks in the casing, nothing wrong with the other components are communicated