Escalation in race and team threads

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
ClarkBT11

Re: Escalation in race and team threads

I agree with all your comments. Why can't people look at both sides of an argument and come to a fare and logical reality.

I think though this year all we have is the drama to discuss.. No new updates or innovations to dissect and discuss hopefully things will get back to normal next year with the new regulations. The car threads and technical discussion will be back where they belong.

diffuser

Re: 2021 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, Sep 10 - 12

PlatinumZealot wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 17:28
LM10 wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 16:30
SiLo wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 16:17

It's sad isn't it.
I wonder though, what's the reason for that shift to childish behaviour lately?
More casual fans due to Netflix.

F1tech used to be like a university. You cam here to learn about cars. You can still do so, but those technical threads are placed away from "eye level" if you know what I mean. And this brings me to some complaints I have in this regard. Moderators please hear me out.

I think it was a wrong move to name the car threads "hardware and development" because the name doesn't attract the attention it deserves. It should be renamed "Formula 1 cars." The F1 car development discussions were the heart of the website IMO. Once the General chat and race threads were placed top of page then you notice the diversions away from the technicalness for new fans.

There are still deeply technical areas of the website that arw thriving. There are highly skilled experts still here and deeply fascinating threads, but they are tucked away around the back where the casual new commer just never gets to see on a normal browse of the site.

I have learned a lot and shared alot just through technical discussion here. And it is sorta sad that we have strayed into fan boy ying ying yang each race. There are reasons for that obviously outside of the powers of the website. But I think we can go back to that era of learning and sharing with new-commers by a little bit of reorganizing the message boards.

I welcome the new fans and the Orange army, but unfortunately we met in the wrong circusmstances where we cannot greet each other without being seen as "the other side". (age of Mercedes dominance and Netflix i feel has a lot to do with this). We can heal the wounds if we redirect the focus on what made the site great: the cars, the engineering, the photos, the analysis.

Each of us has a responsibility.

Tell me about it. I have the hardest time finding the Alpine Car thread....

Gettingonabit

SiLo wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 15:55
RIP F1 Technical. How childish.
It's sad isn't it.
So glad someone has brought this up.

Have been a forum member since 2013 - came here to try and get some understanding of what to me at the time was not understandable, i.e. the complexity of the power unit. I have to admit after 8 years I'm not much wiser, but that is my fault not the source of information - hence my lack of posts.

It is sad that of late the forum is generating far more traffic involving playschool rhetoric rather than genuine discussion, but how that can be dealt with is beyond me.

SiLo

Gettingonabit wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 16:28
SiLo wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 15:55
RIP F1 Technical. How childish.
It's sad isn't it.
So glad someone has brought this up.

Have been a forum member since 2013 - came here to try and get some understanding of what to me at the time was not understandable, i.e. the complexity of the power unit. I have to admit after 8 years I'm not much wiser, but that is my fault not the source of information - hence my lack of posts.

It is sad that of late the forum is generating far more traffic involving playschool rhetoric rather than genuine discussion, but how that can be dealt with is beyond me.
Either a separate section for users of X time or with Y rating, but I don't think it's viable, or separate race threads with specific rules in them and mods being hard on it.

Personally, I think it's very difficult to manage for the mods, and any solution is going to seem heavy handed.
Felipe Baby!

WaikeCU

How this exists more and more?

Easy: Cancel Culture

dans79

SiLo wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 16:34
Personally, I think it's very difficult to manage for the mods, and any solution is going to seem heavy handed.
Imo, at some point you need to be heavy handed. Some people will never follow the carrot so the stick is needed!
197 104 103 7

DChemTech

Yes, there is escalation in the race threads, that's for sure. And more worrying, non-race threads as well; if the situation was confined to very specific topics with no carry-over into more technical subjects, that would be better.

However, I disagree with the thesis of some that it's all to blame on the 'orange army'. Sure, there are several frequent contributors that praise every of Max's actions any lay the blame of any negative outcome on LH or the FIA. But there are equally frequent contributors that attempt to put the 100% of the blame of 100% of the LH-MV incidents on Max. This is just as 'toxic', for lack of a better word, and quite often the same people try to put 100% of the blame on 'thread escalation' on the 'orange army', while presenting themselves as beacons of reason. Just like with the favourite drivers of both camps on track, a bit of self reflection would be in order on both sides of the argument.

the EDGE

ClarkBT11 wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 15:10
Why can't people look at both sides of an argument and come to a fare and logical reality
😂😂😂

People have been asking that question since the dawn of time, the problem is who’s fair and logical reality is the correct one…?

And thus, the arguments continue
Last edited by the EDGE on 15 Sep 2021, 19:41, edited 1 time in total.

nzjrs

I think it's less than 10 new members, and a small handful of older members that now seem to get dragged down into the mud.

But it's symmetric and placing the blame on one side or the other is part of the problem.

Wouter

DChemTech wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 16:46
Yes, there is escalation in the race threads, that's for sure. And more worrying, non-race threads as well; if the situation was confined to very specific topics with no carry-over into more technical subjects, that would be better.

However, I disagree with the thesis of some that it's all to blame on the 'orange army'. Sure, there are several frequent contributors that praise every of Max's actions any lay the blame of any negative outcome on LH or the FIA.

But there are equally frequent contributors that attempt to put the 100% of the blame of 100% of the LH-MV incidents on Max. This is just as 'toxic', for lack of a better word, and quite often the same people try to put 100% of the blame on 'thread escalation' on the 'orange army', while presenting themselves as beacons of reason.

Just like with the favourite drivers of both camps on track, a bit of self reflection would be in order on both sides of the argument.
Exactly, nothing to add at all.
The Power of Dreams!

Big Tea

It seems to be the way the world is today. Everyone has to be right or wrong, good or bad, the best by far or crap.

There seems to be very little 'both are good but one had the rub of the green' it is 'My guy is always the best by far your guy is a cheating dog if he beats him'

There also seems to be no option of voicing your opinion and someone voicing theirs and that is how things are, its my opinion is the right and only one or I will shout you down no matter how many posts it takes.

It is not a GPtechincal thing, or even a F1 thing, and not even a sport thing, it is a people thing
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

diffuser

Big Tea wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 17:18
It seems to be the way the world is today. Everyone has to be right or wrong, good or bad, the best by far or crap.

There seems to be very little 'both are good but one had the rub of the green' it is 'My guy is always the best by far your guy is a cheating dog if he beats him'

There also seems to be no option of voicing your opinion and someone voicing theirs and that is how things are, its my opinion is the right and only one or I will shout you down no matter how many posts it takes.

It is not a GPtechincal thing, or even a F1 thing, and not even a sport thing, it is a people thing
I'd like to add to that they don't seem to care what the rules are either.

Just_a_fan

Enough said. :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

SiLo

Just_a_fan wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 17:38
https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/duty_calls.png

Enough said. :lol:
The best bit? It's all subjective. It does make me chuckle.
Felipe Baby!

Jolle

Feels like there are a lot of (new) hardcore fans of drivers and less and less fans of F1.