Escalation in race and team threads

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
User avatar
ClarkBT11
16
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:53 pm
Location: Uk

Re: Escalation in race and team threads

Post

I agree with all your comments. Why can't people look at both sides of an argument and come to a fare and logical reality.

I think though this year all we have is the drama to discuss.. No new updates or innovations to dissect and discuss hopefully things will get back to normal next year with the new regulations. The car threads and technical discussion will be back where they belong.

User avatar
diffuser
237
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:55 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: 2021 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, Sep 10 - 12

Post

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:28 pm
LM10 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:30 pm
SiLo wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:17 pm


It's sad isn't it.
I wonder though, what's the reason for that shift to childish behaviour lately?
More casual fans due to Netflix.

F1tech used to be like a university. You cam here to learn about cars. You can still do so, but those technical threads are placed away from "eye level" if you know what I mean. And this brings me to some complaints I have in this regard. Moderators please hear me out.

I think it was a wrong move to name the car threads "hardware and development" because the name doesn't attract the attention it deserves. It should be renamed "Formula 1 cars." The F1 car development discussions were the heart of the website IMO. Once the General chat and race threads were placed top of page then you notice the diversions away from the technicalness for new fans.

There are still deeply technical areas of the website that arw thriving. There are highly skilled experts still here and deeply fascinating threads, but they are tucked away around the back where the casual new commer just never gets to see on a normal browse of the site.

I have learned a lot and shared alot just through technical discussion here. And it is sorta sad that we have strayed into fan boy ying ying yang each race. There are reasons for that obviously outside of the powers of the website. But I think we can go back to that era of learning and sharing with new-commers by a little bit of reorganizing the message boards.

I welcome the new fans and the Orange army, but unfortunately we met in the wrong circusmstances where we cannot greet each other without being seen as "the other side". (age of Mercedes dominance and Netflix i feel has a lot to do with this). We can heal the wounds if we redirect the focus on what made the site great: the cars, the engineering, the photos, the analysis.

Each of us has a responsibility.

Tell me about it. I have the hardest time finding the Alpine Car thread....

Gettingonabit
Gettingonabit
0
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:25 pm

Re: 2021 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, Sep 10 - 12

Post

SiLo wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:17 pm
El Scorchio wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:55 pm
RIP F1 Technical. How childish.
It's sad isn't it.
So glad someone has brought this up.

Have been a forum member since 2013 - came here to try and get some understanding of what to me at the time was not understandable, i.e. the complexity of the power unit. I have to admit after 8 years I'm not much wiser, but that is my fault not the source of information - hence my lack of posts.

It is sad that of late the forum is generating far more traffic involving playschool rhetoric rather than genuine discussion, but how that can be dealt with is beyond me.

User avatar
SiLo
128
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:09 pm

Re: 2021 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, Sep 10 - 12

Post

Gettingonabit wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:28 pm
SiLo wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:17 pm
El Scorchio wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:55 pm
RIP F1 Technical. How childish.
It's sad isn't it.
So glad someone has brought this up.

Have been a forum member since 2013 - came here to try and get some understanding of what to me at the time was not understandable, i.e. the complexity of the power unit. I have to admit after 8 years I'm not much wiser, but that is my fault not the source of information - hence my lack of posts.

It is sad that of late the forum is generating far more traffic involving playschool rhetoric rather than genuine discussion, but how that can be dealt with is beyond me.
Either a separate section for users of X time or with Y rating, but I don't think it's viable, or separate race threads with specific rules in them and mods being hard on it.

Personally, I think it's very difficult to manage for the mods, and any solution is going to seem heavy handed.
Felipe Baby!

User avatar
WaikeCU
72
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: Escalation in race and team threads

Post

How this exists more and more?

Easy: Cancel Culture

dans79
dans79
398
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:33 pm
Location: USA

Re: 2021 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, Sep 10 - 12

Post

SiLo wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:34 pm
Personally, I think it's very difficult to manage for the mods, and any solution is going to seem heavy handed.
Imo, at some point you need to be heavy handed. Some people will never follow the carrot so the stick is needed!
176 101 100 7

DChemTech
DChemTech
71
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:31 am
Location: Delft, NL

Re: Escalation in race and team threads

Post

Yes, there is escalation in the race threads, that's for sure. And more worrying, non-race threads as well; if the situation was confined to very specific topics with no carry-over into more technical subjects, that would be better.

However, I disagree with the thesis of some that it's all to blame on the 'orange army'. Sure, there are several frequent contributors that praise every of Max's actions any lay the blame of any negative outcome on LH or the FIA. But there are equally frequent contributors that attempt to put the 100% of the blame of 100% of the LH-MV incidents on Max. This is just as 'toxic', for lack of a better word, and quite often the same people try to put 100% of the blame on 'thread escalation' on the 'orange army', while presenting themselves as beacons of reason. Just like with the favourite drivers of both camps on track, a bit of self reflection would be in order on both sides of the argument.

the EDGE
the EDGE
136
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:31 pm
Location: Bedfordshire ENGLAND

Re: Escalation in race and team threads

Post

ClarkBT11 wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:10 pm
Why can't people look at both sides of an argument and come to a fare and logical reality
😂😂😂

People have been asking that question since the dawn of time, the problem is who’s fair and logical reality is the correct one…?

And thus, the arguments continue
Last edited by the EDGE on Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
nzjrs
126
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:21 am
Location: Austria/UK

Re: Escalation in race and team threads

Post

I think it's less than 10 new members, and a small handful of older members that now seem to get dragged down into the mud.

But it's symmetric and placing the blame on one side or the other is part of the problem.

User avatar
Wouter
646
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:02 pm

Re: Escalation in race and team threads

Post

DChemTech wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:46 pm
Yes, there is escalation in the race threads, that's for sure. And more worrying, non-race threads as well; if the situation was confined to very specific topics with no carry-over into more technical subjects, that would be better.

However, I disagree with the thesis of some that it's all to blame on the 'orange army'. Sure, there are several frequent contributors that praise every of Max's actions any lay the blame of any negative outcome on LH or the FIA.

But there are equally frequent contributors that attempt to put the 100% of the blame of 100% of the LH-MV incidents on Max. This is just as 'toxic', for lack of a better word, and quite often the same people try to put 100% of the blame on 'thread escalation' on the 'orange army', while presenting themselves as beacons of reason.

Just like with the favourite drivers of both camps on track, a bit of self reflection would be in order on both sides of the argument.
Exactly, nothing to add at all.

User avatar
Big Tea
165
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:57 pm

Re: Escalation in race and team threads

Post

It seems to be the way the world is today. Everyone has to be right or wrong, good or bad, the best by far or crap.

There seems to be very little 'both are good but one had the rub of the green' it is 'My guy is always the best by far your guy is a cheating dog if he beats him'

There also seems to be no option of voicing your opinion and someone voicing theirs and that is how things are, its my opinion is the right and only one or I will shout you down no matter how many posts it takes.

It is not a GPtechincal thing, or even a F1 thing, and not even a sport thing, it is a people thing
I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it-
Voltaire, or several other claimants.

User avatar
diffuser
237
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:55 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: Escalation in race and team threads

Post

Big Tea wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:18 pm
It seems to be the way the world is today. Everyone has to be right or wrong, good or bad, the best by far or crap.

There seems to be very little 'both are good but one had the rub of the green' it is 'My guy is always the best by far your guy is a cheating dog if he beats him'

There also seems to be no option of voicing your opinion and someone voicing theirs and that is how things are, its my opinion is the right and only one or I will shout you down no matter how many posts it takes.

It is not a GPtechincal thing, or even a F1 thing, and not even a sport thing, it is a people thing
I'd like to add to that they don't seem to care what the rules are either.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan
777
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:37 pm

Re: Escalation in race and team threads

Post

Image

Enough said. :lol:
Turbo says "Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools." oh, and "The Dutch fans are drunk. Maybe"

User avatar
SiLo
128
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:09 pm

Re: Escalation in race and team threads

Post

Just_a_fan wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:38 pm
https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/duty_calls.png

Enough said. :lol:
The best bit? It's all subjective. It does make me chuckle.
Felipe Baby!

Jolle
Jolle
255
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:58 pm
Location: Dordrecht

Re: Escalation in race and team threads

Post

Feels like there are a lot of (new) hardcore fans of drivers and less and less fans of F1.