Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Blackout

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

It's great to see the Ferrari turbo for the first time.
So from 2016 onwards, Ferrari took their intercooler out of the V and opted to insert the compressor and its entry air ducts there instead. Few people know that or want to believe it : )
(they didnt put it at the front of the V obviously, they pushed it in the back of the V).
So their general packaging philosophy remained the same since 2014.

Stu

ryaan2904 wrote:
23 Sep 2021, 18:58
So officially, F1 has recognised in their articles that ferrari's new upgrade includes a new mgu-h. The Amus theory of "shifting to 800Vs" is losing creditibility in my mind..
Unless somebody with the Ferrari technical team reveal the operating voltage of the system, I would imagine that they are already using in excess of 800volts, in WEC Porsche were already using a 900volt system before they stopped at the end of 2018.

I’m surprised that the FIA haven’t mandated a specific operating voltage, as that seems to be how they manage ‘progress’ ….
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Skippon

All teams in F1 use high voltage DC links at around 800V (depending on the energy store State of Charge) - as does FE (and other derivatives) as higher voltages are more efficient; they must be under 1000V by FIA regulation; and they use 1200V Silicon Carbide switches. 400V based systems are either legacy or carry over in current road vehicles due to cost or design cycle.

ryaan2904

It's a first, but Amus was clearly bullshitting then. On a brighter note, even that 8 hp release has shown visible progress on track as well as data. I'd love to see what the double of that would do.
CFD Eyes of Sauron

mzso

Skippon wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 10:24
All teams in F1 use high voltage DC links at around 800V (depending on the energy store State of Charge) - as does FE (and other derivatives) as higher voltages are more efficient; they must be under 1000V by FIA regulation; and they use 1200V Silicon Carbide switches. 400V based systems are either legacy or carry over in current road vehicles due to cost or design cycle.
Do you have any more details or references to this?

codetower

ryaan2904 wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 17:02
It's a first, but Amus was clearly bullshitting then. On a brighter note, even that 8 hp release has shown visible progress on track as well as data. I'd love to see what the double of that would do.
I’m really looking forward to next year’s power unit. But as far as this current upgrade that they just put in Lecs car goes, I think the gains we’ll see are not going to be much over a single lap. 8 to 10 hp is not going to do much there. I think on a single qualifying lap where you have your battery charged up anyway, I think you’ll see maybe .1 sec. Where I think will see the biggest gains are over the course of the race. They should be able to use the energy for longer periods during a lap, and also recover much quicker. So hopefully if they qualify fifth, they won’t get passed by three or four other cars during the course of the race and end ninth.

noname

Skippon wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 10:24
With 800V system can be smaller and thus lighter. Lower current means smaller diameter cables, that's additional weight reduction but also helps with packaging.

BTW, even in commercial applications everyone wants SiC. Whenever any project is being discussed SiC is a must.

f1316

codetower wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 23:14
ryaan2904 wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 17:02
I also think that what sounds like a relatively small (~1%) horsepower increase has compound effect on setup. Ie if you’re 25 horsepower down, you have to take off a reasonable amount of wing vs optimal to avoid being a sitting duck on the straight and this is likely part of the cause of Ferrari’s graining issues. 15 horsepower deficit (and these are made up numbers, I have no idea what the deficit is) is possibly more manageable, allowing you to run more downforce.

This doesn’t just help lap time but also helps time over an entire stint. It may be that the difference is not as significant as all that - we need more races and starting nearer the front may give a clearer picture - but it seemed encouraging from Russia.

I’m really looking forward to next year’s power unit. But as far as this current upgrade that they just put in Lecs car goes, I think the gains we’ll see are not going to be much over a single lap. 8 to 10 hp is not going to do much there. I think on a single qualifying lap where you have your battery charged up anyway, I think you’ll see maybe .1 sec. Where I think will see the biggest gains are over the course of the race. They should be able to use the energy for longer periods during a lap, and also recover much quicker. So hopefully if they qualify fifth, they won’t get passed by three or four other cars during the course of the race and end ninth.

ryaan2904

CFD Eyes of Sauron

ryaan2904

Third pic there is the 2020 Ferrari PU.
Has this been posted here before?

I swear with all the split turbo engine images, the normal ones look weird
CFD Eyes of Sauron

PlatinumZealot

We see much of the 2020 power unit this year before the upgrade. I would say Ferrari has gained maybe 10 to 15KW. From the ICE. Binotto has indicated ICE is where they were lacking as they feel their ERS has always been competitive.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

codetower

I was just reading over on Scuderiafans that Ferrari will be further testing some 2022 components in Austin. Apparently they will be testing a new, lighter Fuel Pump. According to the article (which I believe was quoting a Motorsport.com article/interview), some components are not Frozen like the PU and can be freely replaced.
It is true that the power unit is frozen in the development of the parts clearly defined by the FIA, but, just to give an example, there are accessories that are not part of the blocked components such as fuel pumps and can be freely replaced.

In Austin, solutions will be used that foreshadow the endothermic unit of 2022: lighter pumps will be used that will have to pass the reliability screen, in order to ensure from now to the end of the season of the duration tests in the car that will allow to homologate a “Superfast” power unit with fewer unknowns on duration, given that Wolf Zimmermann’s project promises to be with some innovative concepts.

Ced
Ced

codetower wrote:
21 Oct 2021, 19:58
I was just reading over on Scuderiafans that Ferrari will be further testing some 2022 components in Austin. Apparently they will be testing a new, lighter Fuel Pump. According to the article (which I believe was quoting a Motorsport.com article/interview), some components are not Frozen like the PU and can be freely replaced.
It is true that the power unit is frozen in the development of the parts clearly defined by the FIA, but, just to give an example, there are accessories that are not part of the blocked components such as fuel pumps and can be freely replaced.

In Austin, solutions will be used that foreshadow the endothermic unit of 2022: lighter pumps will be used that will have to pass the reliability screen, in order to ensure from now to the end of the season of the duration tests in the car that will allow to homologate a “Superfast” power unit with fewer unknowns on duration, given that Wolf Zimmermann’s project promises to be with some innovative concepts.
That superfast stuff again. Motorsport Italy has often dubious theories.

Ced
Ced

It seems they will test some new components on the ice this we. 👇🏽
https://www.funoanalisitecnica.com/2021 ... stinn.html

godlameroso

With a lighter system you are afforded some interesting options. Buffering the ERS with super caps is possible if you shave a few kilos from the ES.
Saishū kōnā