Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Hoffman900

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

Dbl post.
Last edited by Hoffman900 on 22 Oct 2021, 19:15, edited 1 time in total.

Hoffman900

LM10 wrote:
22 Oct 2021, 19:13
dans79 wrote:
22 Oct 2021, 19:04
nzjrs wrote:
22 Oct 2021, 19:00
Another new engine for Bottas in Austin. What's the strategy here?
ICE only, 5 place drop only. most likely testing for next year.
Would they go for a 6. ICE just for testing reasons in such a tight championship, though? I’ve the feeling they’re really pushing the reliability limits. Would also explain their huge power jump lately.
Yes. Given the lack of testing outside of racing, and the 23 race calendar next year, the teams kind of have no choice but do some of this.

I’m sure they sweetened to the pot for Bottas. Maybe that’s what his new car prior to the announcement was about. :lol:

LM10

Marty_Y wrote:
22 Oct 2021, 19:14
LM10 wrote:
22 Oct 2021, 19:13
dans79 wrote:

ICE is a 10 place drop.

Would they go for a 6. ICE just for testing reasons in such a tight championship, though? I’ve the feeling they’re really pushing the reliability limits. Would also explain their huge power jump lately.
10 for the first replacement then 5 for each one after.
Yea, edited my post right after I heard that. Thanks.

atanatizante

dans79 wrote:
nzjrs wrote:
22 Oct 2021, 19:00
Another new engine for Bottas in Austin. What's the strategy here?
Yeah, I think so too ...

In the team thread, I wrote about "there are rumours saying that the 3rd spec PU was built with an eye toward the E10 biofuel that should be used in 2022. Thus BOT`s 4th PU at Monza was run with special mapping in order to see had they could compensate some 65HP that they`ll lose with the new fuel ...

The same rumours are also saying that 2021 Merc PU having to cope with more races/km than last year was wear out at a faster rate towards their end of the duty cycle than it was designed for and the reason for that is the fierce battle between them and RB/Honda, which forced them to use more and more aggressive PU mappings in races, all coming with some negative consequences: they have found some issues at the crankshaft and valve seats ..."
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

dans79

atanatizante wrote:
22 Oct 2021, 20:23
The same rumours are also saying that 2021 Merc PU having to cope with more races/km than last year was wear out at a faster rate towards their end of the duty cycle than it was designed for and the reason for that is the fierce battle between them and RB/Honda, which forced them to use more and more aggressive PU mappings in races, all coming with some negative consequences: they have found some issues at the crankshaft and valve seats ..."
This it the bit i find highly suspect, as the first PU did just fine.

It ran every free practice, qualifying session, and race for the first 5 race weekends. It was then relegated to fp1 & fp2 duty till Spa, so it did another 6 fp1 and fp2 Sessions.

The numbers just don't add up to me!
197 104 103 7

Hoffman900

dans79 wrote:
22 Oct 2021, 20:31
atanatizante wrote:

It ran every free practice, qualifying session, and race for the first 5 race weekends. It was then relegated to fp1 & fp2 duty till Spa, so it did another 6 fp1 and fp2 Sessions.

I also suspect sources that are able to specifically specify what the problem is. Anything I can find is innuendo from mysterious or non existent sources.

toraabe

Remember that from this year there is a limit on the test bench. Probably they want to test changes to the ice before 2022. So do it on the track......

jellybone

dans79 wrote:
atanatizante wrote:

or they do if you have a different perspective of it, sure they were doing fine with the first power unit but at that time while in the hunt it was clear RB was getting the better of them. Last little bit Mercedes has found much more pace and that coincides with this sudden pu unreliability. Unless we are engineers on the team nobody can really know for sure but seems a very plausible narrative

Marty_Y

'Few reliability issues' - Wolff
Toto Wolff told Sky Sports after first practice that the Mercedes-powered engines are experiencing some gremlins in the system this season.

"We have had, unfortunately since mid-year, a few reliability issues that keep coming back," the Silver Arrows boss admitted.

"I think we understand better what it is but it means there is no durability in running them."

atanatizante

dans79 wrote:
atanatizante wrote:

Both Merc and Honda had run their first spec in conservative/detuned PU engine modes in the first 7 races of the season, bearing in mind they have to do 22 races this year with just 3 PU and they also need to do some testing with the new E10 fuel for 2022 ...
Jesus

PlatinumZealot

Wolff hinting that the problem compenents are very small but critical to engine operation. You have to break the engine seals to get to them. So might as well introduce a whole new ICE.
He hinted that it is a pneumatic component.

So fortunately, it is not combustion, structural or tribology related.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

amho

write engine reliability fix, read cheating and increasing engine power.
There is no Might or Power except with Allah.

FDD
FDD

It is strange to me that Lewis's engine is not at risk

atanatizante

Is well known that this year we don`t have different spec PU, just PU no.1, 2 and 3, right?
Then, in my point of view, the only single parameter (fuel and lubes aside), that was responsible for lowering their reliability was the aggressive engine mappings they were forced to run after they introduced the 3rd PU ... and this theory was backed by Christian Horner, when he was asked on Sky by Jenson Button what was the cause of Merc`s PU failures ... he just said that Merc was forced to run such high engine mappings they didn`t run it before until this year ...
Jesus

billamend

Mercedes has been having problems since last year. Remember Perez engine in Bahrain and Abu Dhabi? And there was a rumor that they were running very conservative in Abu Dhabi because they were afraid of it blowing up.