2021 Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
F1NAC

Re: 2021 Ferrari F1 Team

JPower wrote:
06 Nov 2021, 23:34
Sainz brought it home in Q3. Good job beating Ricciardo even without the benefit of a tow.

Don't know what happened to Charles' last run. I'll have to check the tape.

P6/P8 wasn't as good as expected but they can still gain a good jump in the constructors' from there.
Got caught up in that AT/RB mess.

JPower

F1NAC wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 00:01

Got caught up in that AT/RB mess.
Ah, makes sense. That'll do it. Hopefully he can run Ricciardo hard at the start. Otherwise he'll most likely have undercut him during the race. Without the tow the Ferraris were clearly stronger than McLaren.

JPower

I’ll have my thoughts later but if Ferrari is going to compete for a championship next year, they are going to need to handle the “faster” teammate situation or it will blow up in their faces.

Gillian

Great result, both Sainz and Leclerc had a good race. Not sure about the driver swap... Sainz was a bit faster, but it didn't seem like it was going to matter. And in the end it did not. Felt a bit unnecessary imo. But nonetheless well earned 3rd place in WCC. =D>

codetower

Both drivers are very close in my opinion. Charles might be quicker more consistently, Carlos obviously has more experience. One thing I’m curious about is the big differences in strategies on some of these races. I don’t think Charles’ lap times were dropping that much to have pitted him 12 laps earlier than Carlos.

JPower

codetower wrote:
08 Nov 2021, 00:44
Both drivers are very close in my opinion. Charles might be quicker more consistently, Carlos obviously has more experience. One thing I’m curious about is the big differences in strategies on some of these races. I don’t think Charles’ lap times were dropping that much to have pitted him 12 laps earlier than Carlos.
They were looking to pressure Gasly with an undercut. Wasn't a tire wear issue.

JPower

Anyway, 18 points is a great haul considering McLaren only grabbed 1. Worked out perfectly for the WCC.

That's 5 top-5 finishes for Charles out of the last 6 races and 11 straight races in the points for Carlos.

Just need to keep it up. I'm sure McLaren will be much better suited to Interlagos than Mexico.
Last edited by JPower on 08 Nov 2021, 01:48, edited 1 time in total.

AeroDynamic

Very interesting to see Sainz doing so well, it’s going to upset someone if he upstages Charles. He is the marketable one, and the Ferrari golden child. But not to worry yet from his perspective, Ferrari know Charles lost some big points that came down to fortune not being on his side. So it’s not like Sainz, despite maybe finishing ahead come Abu Dhabi, looks like the right horse to back to lead a championship.

But Carlos could cause Mattia some big head aches. Ones McLaren have been known to having, when it cost them their shots at championships (07, 2010).

Unfortunate thing for them is, Sainz is not there to be a compliant number 2, and give them a car that is dominant or can fight for the championship very well, I suspect some on track resentment and wheel to wheel bust ups.

I really do think Ferrari is the dark horse for next year. They have a great opportunity given they have had the last couple of years to invest more into 2022 than the two protagonists have.

It would also be really great to see Ferrari fighting for championships again.

codetower

AeroDynamic wrote:
08 Nov 2021, 01:04
Very interesting to see Sainz doing so well, it’s going to upset someone if he upstages Charles. He is the marketable one, and the Ferrari golden child. But not to worry yet from his perspective, Ferrari know Charles lost some big points that came down to fortune not being on his side. So it’s not like Sainz, despite maybe finishing ahead come Abu Dhabi, looks like the right horse to back to lead a championship.

But Carlos could cause Mattia some big head aches. Ones McLaren have been known to having, when it cost them their shots at championships (07, 2010).

Unfortunate thing for them is, Sainz is not there to be a compliant number 2, and give them a car that is dominant or can fight for the championship very well, I suspect some on track resentment and wheel to wheel bust ups.

I really do think Ferrari is the dark horse for next year. They have a great opportunity given they have had the last couple of years to invest more into 2022 than the two protagonists have.

It would also be really great to see Ferrari fighting for championships again.
It definitely could get interesting if Carlos does begin to upstage Charles. But I think it would upset fans more-so than anyone in the organization though. Sainz is very good, I think a bit underrated. He outraced Lando last year at McLaren more than a couple of times. But I still think Leclerc is a bit faster... and will only get better; he's still fairly young (in both age and experience). I think Ferrari knew exactly what they were getting. I don't see a Lec/Vet situation between those two like we had last year. They are both very competitive so we'll see some grunting like we did today from Leclerc when asked to let Sainz pass, but it seems they both respect the team a great deal.

I hope you are right about Ferrari being the dark horse. I'm excited now... and it's only a 3rd place battle!

Manfer

On the plus side both the pitstops were bang on. 2.2 & 2.3s

aleks_ader

I think these driver line-up is perfect mix between pure pace (LEC) and race craft consistency (SAI).

Also perfect mix between driver intuition (LEC) and engineering hardworking mind (SAI).

Both driver raceminds blend together and complement each other perfectly. All in best way to make each other better.

And what is best about this lineup? There will be clash sure. But i think they will sort naturally as men with healthy competitive environment.

This team (also as Mclaren IMO) is on huge up rise and has huge potential to crack its curses from 2008 onwards.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Gillian

Sainz is the most underrated driver of this generation imo. He has shown he can adapt, just look at his performance driving for different teams. He is also very consistent and doesn't make a lot of errors. I feel like Sainz is in top 5 best drivers on the grid right now, possible 3rd best.

Leclerc is/was a bit overhyped. He has made dumb mistakes. I do think Leclerc is improving, but he's just a little too error prone still. Of course he is still young and if he can cut out the errors he certainly will be among the best on the grid. I'd rate him slightly lower than Sainz at this moment.

I am very curious to see how they perform next year.

F1NAC

Gillian wrote:
08 Nov 2021, 21:36
Sainz is the most underrated driver of this generation imo. He has shown he can adapt, just look at his performance driving for different teams. He is also very consistent and doesn't make a lot of errors. I feel like Sainz is in top 5 best drivers on the grid right now, possible 3rd best.

Leclerc is/was a bit overhyped. He has made dumb mistakes. I do think Leclerc is improving, but he's just a little too error prone still. Of course he is still young and if he can cut out the errors he certainly will be among the best on the grid. I'd rate him slightly lower than Sainz at this moment.

Why is that narrative about Leclerc making dumb mistakes? Ok Monaco was one, but this year he is right on point as much as car allows him to do.

HE is in front of Sainz in standings. Sainz who has more podiums, and also all of his podiums were achieved when Charles was out of points (DNS, DNF and 15th in Sochi). We could be in front of NOrris already. Yes he did that mistake in Monaco, but I don't recall enough mistakes that would deemed he is overhyped or error prone.

Andres125sx

AeroDynamic wrote:
08 Nov 2021, 01:04
Sainz also lost some big points that came down to fortune not being on his side. Poor pitstops have been too frequent and costly in his side of the garage. Except Mexico it was 3 races in a row, plus some more previously and those are a lot of points

Also for whatever reason this season has been very very difficult for drivers with new cars, even for some with loads of experience (Perez, Alonso, Ricciardo, Sainz...). All suffered on first third/half of the season, loosing a lot of points too until they got used to their cars, and that cost Sainz a lot of points too

With both drivers with previous experience with the car, and similiar pitstop problems, Sainz would be ahead of Charles in the table for sure

Gillian

F1NAC wrote:
09 Nov 2021, 08:51
Gillian wrote:
08 Nov 2021, 21:36

Why is that narrative about Leclerc making dumb mistakes? Ok Monaco was one, but this year he is right on point as much as car allows him to do.

HE is in front of Sainz in standings. Sainz who has more podiums, and also all of his podiums were achieved when Charles was out of points (DNS, DNF and 15th in Sochi). We could be in front of NOrris already. Yes he did that mistake in Monaco, but I don't recall enough mistakes that would deemed he is overhyped or error prone.
I mean looking at both their entire careers. Leclerc has made a lot mistakes in his years, but like I say above this year is better. That's why I say at this moment he is still a little error prone.

I do not think Leclerc is better than Sainz just because he is higher up in the championship this season. My view above is based on what I have seen from both drivers including their former seasons.