New Jeddah circuit

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Marty_Y

Re: New Jeddah circuit

How significant is the banked corner? Watching the computer simulated laps I didn't even notice that it was there, I read a article that said it was 12 degrees.

erudite450

PlatinumZealot wrote:
24 Nov 2021, 14:00
The terms Safety car and undercut should be kept at arms length for fear of a team reviving the unscrupulous tactic used by Flavio Briatore in 2008. 🙂

I don't think Toto or Horner would stoop so low to win though.
:D :D :D

SiLo

erudite450 wrote:
25 Nov 2021, 10:06
PlatinumZealot wrote:
24 Nov 2021, 14:00
The terms Safety car and undercut should be kept at arms length for fear of a team reviving the unscrupulous tactic used by Flavio Briatore in 2008. 🙂

I don't think Toto or Horner would stoop so low to win though.
:D :D :D
Still amazed Piquet agreed to it!
Felipe Baby!

HungarianRacer

PlatinumZealot wrote:
23 Nov 2021, 00:16
Now the qeustion is... Will a Monza-like setup work here?

We have a big hair pin and a small hair-pin just like Monza.

We have, what are not exacltly chicanes, but quick lane zig-zags similar to the ascari and lesmos turns where quick steering and agility is required.

This should be a Mercedes track.
I'm sorry if you find this question nitpicky, but... What's your definition of a "hair-pin" (and where do you see them in Monza)?

SiLo

HungarianRacer wrote:
25 Nov 2021, 11:21
PlatinumZealot wrote:

We have, what are not exacltly chicanes, but quick lane zig-zags similar to the ascari and lesmos turns where quick steering and agility is required.

I'm sorry if you find this question nitpicky, but... What's your definition of a "hair-pin" (and where do you see them in Monza)?
Maybe PZ just meant slow corners.
Felipe Baby!

HungarianRacer

SiLo wrote:
25 Nov 2021, 13:06
HungarianRacer wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Maybe PZ just meant slow corners.
... But other than the two chicanes (if you accept that Ascari isn't a chicane in the classic sense), which he adresses separately, there really are no slow corners in Monza... Maybe, if you stretch the definition hard enough, you could see Parabolica as a sub-180 degrees, ultra-high speed hairpin (I suppose), while Lesmo 1 and 2 together would be your other, double-apex "hairpin" (even though the straight between those is way too long for that), he probably calls those hairpins (how are those analogous to any of Jeddah's corners then?), but yeah, I'm definitely being nitpicky now.

PlatinumZealot

HungarianRacer wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

For me, an approximate 180 degree turn that may be a single turn or a quick blend of two 90 degree turns.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

godlameroso

The most unique part of this circuit is the emphasis on entry angle, speed and platform control during corner entry. If you nail the entry the exit is easy, the difficult part becomes then judging where and how much to brake. Drivers who always brake a certain way will have trouble adapting to the circuit because late braking is slower than early gentle braking. I tried late braking and although I could nail the entry, I carried less speed through the entry and found it more difficult to position the car for the exit.

With an early braking technique I found I could control the aero platform to work harder on entry, to let me position the car for an easy exit. You need that Mo'town Philly braking technique, not too hard, not too soft.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

SiLo wrote:
24 Nov 2021, 19:29
godlameroso wrote:
24 Nov 2021, 02:20

From what I can tell, you need a Spa like setup, or something along those line, medium downforce, COTA lite maybe. It's all about hugging the walls, two traction sensitive zones, everything else is all about carrying speed through the corners. The corners are worth a lot of time much more than the straights, but you also can't ignore the straights. At least since you don't need a ton of rear wing RBR will have a more favorable balance. It's a lot tighter in real life, still don't know what the real kerbs are like. It's definitely a two stopper, it will be incredibly hard to keep the pace up and preserve the tires. This was 18 laps in and 3 laps into the second medium stint. I imagine the push strategy will be 15M 15M 20H or some variation thereof.
This isn't even close to be how fast they will drive this track.
That's how fast they'll go during the race more or less. It's not a hot lap. IDK if you could tell I had 85 liters of fuel during this lap. Not exactly what you carry when you're going for broke.
Saishū kōnā

SiLo

godlameroso wrote:
25 Nov 2021, 15:50
SiLo wrote:
24 Nov 2021, 19:29
godlameroso wrote:
24 Nov 2021, 02:20

From what I can tell, you need a Spa like setup, or something along those line, medium downforce, COTA lite maybe. It's all about hugging the walls, two traction sensitive zones, everything else is all about carrying speed through the corners. The corners are worth a lot of time much more than the straights, but you also can't ignore the straights. At least since you don't need a ton of rear wing RBR will have a more favorable balance. It's a lot tighter in real life, still don't know what the real kerbs are like. It's definitely a two stopper, it will be incredibly hard to keep the pace up and preserve the tires. This was 18 laps in and 3 laps into the second medium stint. I imagine the push strategy will be 15M 15M 20H or some variation thereof.
This isn't even close to be how fast they will drive this track.
That's how fast they'll go during the race more or less. It's not a hot lap. IDK if you could tell I had 85 liters of fuel during this lap. Not exactly what you carry when you're going for broke.
I wasn't aware thank you for clarifying.
Felipe Baby!

godlameroso

It's a good idea to focus preparations for the race, the regulations force you into doing so as parc ferme means you need a good car in both qualifying and the race. It's also a neurological thing, it's better to prepare yourself for the car at its worst, ie heaviest with least grip, so you can more fully appreciate it and extract performance when it's at its best. It's like training with weights.

Saishū kōnā

codetower

This definitely does not look like a Ferrari circuit. I think they’ll struggle a bit this track.

Definitely see an incident or two to spice up the race for everyone though.

godlameroso

codetower wrote:
25 Nov 2021, 16:08
This definitely does not look like a Ferrari circuit. I think they’ll struggle a bit this track.

Definitely see an incident or two to spice up the race for everyone though.
Absolutely, although I think it speaks to the current quality of drivers that we haven't seen too many incidents this year. Most races happen cleanly without incident except on the first lap or so, very rarely do we see mid race incidents. With how close the walls are and how fast you go, and how close you have to be to go fast, I don't know. It may be very very difficult to follow. The walls have aero effects as well, some cars could be enhanced or disadvantaged by the close proximity of the walls. We saw that in Baku, the walls themselves also provide insulation from surrounding wind, so cars that are wind sensitive may have an easier time.
Saishū kōnā

AeroDynamic

My prediction;

Qualifying will be a disaster with everyone hunting a tow

and its qualifying where some drivers are gonna drive outside their ability and lose the car and make some other drivers lose their qualifying laps, like Monaco and Baku.

I think the race could go either way, might be calm. But if something does happen, its going to be a huge mess at those speeds.

siskue2005

I expect something like the first race in Baku 2016, where everyone predicted chaos, but nothing happened not even a yellow flag... so I expect some thing si ilar to happen