New Jeddah circuit

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ringo

Re: New Jeddah circuit

Given it's the hot middle east, I am sure the oil would dry out quickly.
For Sure!!

AriaanGert

ringo wrote:
27 Nov 2021, 04:52
Given it's the hot middle east, I am sure the oil would dry out quickly.
I thought is oil in ground everywhere in that region. Not dried out yet.

Mogster

Surely the 35°C daytime air temperature and reliable sunshine will dry the oil off.

pb6797

Cured, or dried? I was under the impression that while asphalt will dry in a few days it takes several months to fully cure and achieve full strength. Can you water blast asphalt that is only dry and hasn't had time to cure, or will you just rip chunks of it up?

siskue2005

pb6797 wrote:
27 Nov 2021, 17:42
Cured, or dried? I was under the impression that while asphalt will dry in a few days it takes several months to fully cure and achieve full strength. Can you water blast asphalt that is only dry and hasn't had time to cure, or will you just rip chunks of it up?
Old photo from october
they had already laid the asphalt in September
so I don't think it will be a problem

Wouter

siskue2005 wrote:
27 Nov 2021, 19:07
pb6797 wrote:
Old photo from october
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FDA_qbcWQAE ... name=small
That was the first very small piece of track that was provided with the first layer.
The last part was only paved last week.

Wouter wrote:
26 Nov 2021, 17:18
GT: The latest info from AMuS:
“For Jeddah, the last layer of asphalt was laid last week !! Tilke thinks the track will be fine, :shock:
but everything else will look tentative. "

The Power of Dreams!

f1jcw

siskue2005 wrote:
27 Nov 2021, 19:07
pb6797 wrote:
Old photo from october
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FDA_qbcWQAE ... name=small
No walls there, I prefer it

ringo

The cars are very light. I do not think they will cause any major damage. Usually asphalt takes years of abuse by heavy trucks and traffic as well as rainfall snow etc.
20 super light cars driving over the track on soft tyres for a weekend should not be a problem I think.
For Sure!!

NathanOlder

ringo wrote:
27 Nov 2021, 22:42
The cars are very light. I do not think they will cause any major damage. Usually asphalt takes years of abuse by heavy trucks and traffic as well as rainfall snow etc.
20 super light cars driving over the track on soft tyres for a weekend should not be a problem I think.
Don't be so sure, year after year the MotoGP riders complain about track surfaces on tracks they share with F1 races. The F1 cars put ripples in the surface where they move the asphalt. Don't forget 200+mph with tonnes of downforce and heavy braking on surfaces that get very very hot in the summer sun.

Edit ; here are some exxamples

https://the-race.com/motogp/is-qatars-f ... or-motogp/

https://www.racefans.net/2017/09/07/mot ... cks-bumpy/
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

SiLo

The sand in the region will help in massively absorbing and carrying away any of the oils that remain on the surface of the track.
Felipe Baby!

PlatinumZealot

These places tend to have a high amount of crushed granite in the asphalt too. Very grippy.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

dans79

For all we know, they might plan on chemically cleaning the track before the weekend arrives!
197 104 103 7

dans79

I found this paper that discusses a method of curing a track faster!
http://ascpro0.ascweb.org/archives/cd/2 ... 002016.pdf
Although there is not a proper method to effectively measure the cure rate of fresh HMA pavement, it is generally
agreed hardening normally last 12 months after paving (Chen and Huang, 2000). While ordinary vehicles can be
driven at reasonable speed on a fresh HMA surface, no race cars or motorcycles should be run on the newly paved
surface. It was recommended minimum cure time of 60 day is necessary after paving, depending on temperature,
thickness, mix type and other conditions.
Note that motorcycles are as damaging as any race car due to the high
power/tire footprint ratio, which causes bike tires to cut through the surface more easily than a wider car tire. In
cold areas in Canada, it is recommend that the track surface be allowed a full winter of cure time. To reduce the
cure time, hydrated lime was spread after HMA was placed and rolled. The application rate for the hydrated lime
was 80 to 100 grams/m2 of pavement surface area.
The hydrated lime should meet the requirements in ASTM 0207:
Specifications for Hydrated Lime for Masonry Purposes. Mete-R-Matic XL top dresser, with an extra-large capacity
hopper, was used to apply hydrated lime. This equipment has been known for its uniform application of top
dressing and its simple, easy-to-use design. Other similar equipment can also be used. Application rate can be set
and go with confidence that each pass will be the same as the last. The hydrated lime should be brushed into the
surface with hard brushes so that the lime gets into the open pores of the mix where it will react with liquid asphalt
cement to help dry it out.
Rubber tired rollers were used to draw excess asphalt cement from the surface. This
rolling took place for several days after paving was complete. The applied hydrated lime was consistently rolled
into the asphalt pavement surface with multiple passes of light, unballasted, rubber-tired rollers. The hydrated lime
application and rolling process was repeated, as necessary, to achieve a uniform “off-white” surface color condition.

The pavement stiffness was significantly improved by this operation. As a result, the race car track was opened
approximately one week after the completion of paving, approximately six months earlier than originally scheduled.

Figures 10 and 11 show the hydrated lime was uniformly spread onto the surface of the asphalt pavement and the
tire mark made to test the strength and stiffness of the fresh pavement. The circle in the middle of the picture shows the tire mark left by the strength test, turning the front wheel of a fully loaded 18 thousand pounds truck several
times on the newly paved surface. The lime-modified pavement successfully passed the strength test.
197 104 103 7

pb6797

Wow, thank you for that. Sounds like they may have to get out there to finish off the surface. Could be pretty tight, one week is mentioned in that paper and they will have had just a week after finishing the last bit of the circuit.

If the track has wild variations in grip, texture, smoothness etc. as it settles down that could make this weekend even more unpredictable. All good fun,

_cerber1