2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Marty_Y

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

_cerber1 wrote:
27 Nov 2021, 18:59
Mercedes plans to provide Bottas with the same engine as Hamilton, based on the sixth block of the internal combustion engine.

The # 77, according to rumors leaking from Brackley, will feature the sixth engine with a more powerful setup, similar to the one that allowed Hamilton to get pole and win the Brazilian GP.

https://es.motorsport.com/f1/news/merce ... 1/6819930/
However, the engine failure is not that worrisome, as only the fuel pump needs to be replaced, which is not part of the parts limited by the FIA. The German team would have no intention of using the seventh unit of the season, as Mercedes' goal is to get Bottas to the front row of the Saudi Arabian GP, ​​alongside Lewis Hamilton .

The # 77, according to rumors leaking from Brackley, will feature the sixth engine with a more powerful setup, similar to the one that allowed Hamilton to get pole and win the Brazilian GP.
Interesting, so not a new engine but just a more powerful mapping, if I'm understanding it correctly?

_cerber1

siskue2005 wrote:
27 Nov 2021, 19:12
So is he going to have an engine change or are they going to run his existing pool of engine at high rate?
This will be the motor that Bottas already has. They want the first row in qualifying and race, no penalties.

ringo

They want to put pressure on Max with a mercedes 1-2. It could put Lewis in the lead with 2 points?
It would still be a must win in Abudhabi.
What would really make things interesting is a redbull DNF. Hamilton would have a 17 point lead going into the final round if he wins.
For Sure!!

NathanOlder

ringo wrote:
27 Nov 2021, 22:46
They want to put pressure on Max with a mercedes 1-2. It could put Lewis in the lead with 2 points?
It would still be a must win in Abudhabi.
What would really make things interesting is a redbull DNF. Hamilton would have a 17 point lead going into the final round if he wins.
Lewis leading going in to Abu Dhabi could/would change Hamilton's approach hugely. Imagine if he is battling with Max at a time where Max cannot afford a DNF and Lewis can. Max wouldn't be able to try his 'Hard but fair' racing. Where as if Lewis is behind , I imagine Max will be 'harder and fairer'
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

1m0bius1

Suprised the Honda for Max has held up this well. He had one engine written off. So surely the stress on the other 3 would prevent any additional mapping?

dans79

1m0bius1 wrote:
28 Nov 2021, 06:37
Suprised the Honda for Max has held up this well. He had one engine written off. So surely the stress on the other 3 would prevent any additional mapping?
From what I have read (from numerous articles over the course of this season and last), it seems like Merc can get more out of the ICE if it's willing to sacrifice reliability. Honda seems to be pretty close to max performance regardless of how long the ICE needs to last.

It's a really interesting scenario, that I don't have a complete grasp on.
197 104 103 7

pb6797

1m0bius1 wrote:
He still got a couple of races out of the written-off engine, and has taken a extra engine over the original allocation so is within the design tolerance for longevity. In fact, the races on the written-off engine together with no race at Spa and a half-race at Monza mean he probably has more life left than they planned.

zibby43

Per AMuS, the experimental additional rear wing tests in Qatar will not be mandatory for the final 2 races.

El Scorchio

zibby43 wrote:
28 Nov 2021, 10:48
Per AMuS, the experimental additional rear wing tests in Qatar will not be mandatory for the final 2 races.

https://twitter.com/vetteleclerc/status ... 47776?s=21
Seems only fair given the window of warning time they allowed when they last changed the tests.

f1jcw

El Scorchio wrote:
28 Nov 2021, 12:30
zibby43 wrote:

Seems only fair given the window of warning time they allowed when they last changed the tests.
It is what many on here stated, there was enough time for a new test

zibby43

El Scorchio wrote:
28 Nov 2021, 12:30
zibby43 wrote:

100% agreed.

b2bL44

Marty_Y wrote:
27 Nov 2021, 19:15
_cerber1 wrote:
27 Nov 2021, 18:59
Mercedes plans to provide Bottas with the same engine as Hamilton, based on the sixth block of the internal combustion engine.

https://es.motorsport.com/f1/news/merce ... 1/6819930/
However, the engine failure is not that worrisome, as only the fuel pump needs to be replaced, which is not part of the parts limited by the FIA. The German team would have no intention of using the seventh unit of the season, as Mercedes' goal is to get Bottas to the front row of the Saudi Arabian GP, ​​alongside Lewis Hamilton .

Interesting, so not a new engine but just a more powerful mapping, if I'm understanding it correctly?
I'd take all of this with a pallet of salt, Franco Nunges writes as if he's got an inside source at Mercedes. He is not a reliable source.
I like headbuttin’ journos an´ I can not lie.
You otha brothas can´t deny.
That when a journo walks in wit´ some bait an´
A hook right in yo´ face. You get SMACKED.

AeroDynamic

Interesting article from Hamilton on the ‘22 car progress

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/hamil ... n/6831572/

Hamilton: Windtunnel gains mean no point in 2022 F1 car sim run

Lewis Hamilton says the rapid progress Mercedes is making in developing its 2022 Formula 1 car means there is no point in him trying it out in the simulator yet.

“I haven’t driven the car in the sim because I’ve literally just been focusing on this one,” said Hamilton. “It’s been a hard enough workload as it is.”

“But I’m in constant contact with the team. Even after our races, I’m always talking about, 'this is where our car is right now, and these are the things I want on next year’s car, keep an eye out for these things.”

“These are the issues I have with the engine, I don’t want to see that next year, please fix it'. I’m constantly having these conversations with heads.”

If Mercedes turn 2022 into 2014 dominance, and Russel is on par with Hamilton at minimum, it could be Prost - Senna / MP-44 88 parallels.

djones

dans79 wrote:
28 Nov 2021, 06:45
1m0bius1 wrote:
From what I have read (from numerous articles over the course of this season and last), it seems like Merc can get more out of the ICE if it's willing to sacrifice reliability. Honda seems to be pretty close to max performance regardless of how long the ICE needs to last.

It's a really interesting scenario, that I don't have a complete grasp on.
This is how I understand it too.

Although I'd go one step further and say for the majority of the season Mercedes had an inherent issue with the engine that meant it was overall having to run at lower modes. They have probably now fixed that though.

The 'Brazil spec' engine is probably a combination of an engine that's had the fixes and it also only has to do 3 races. There seems to be the figure of 15 BHP advantage going around, but I bet it more like 30+.

mstar

Marty_Y wrote:
27 Nov 2021, 19:15
I think mercedes said the engine can be cranked up to higher output as they dont need to save the engine for as much races. So theory is give bottas new engine, so he can steam-through from 6-7th place.
It all depends if Jeddah has good overtaking possibilities i think. But i be surprised if Bottas doesn't as the new power give him a boost to pass. Everyone thought Losil be bad for passing but as perez showed if you have a car advantage u can pass.