2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
bonjon1979

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

mstar wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 18:53
Marty_Y wrote:
27 Nov 2021, 19:15
Interesting, so not a new engine but just a more powerful mapping, if I'm understanding it correctly?
I think mercedes said the engine can be cranked up to higher output as they dont need to save the engine for as much races. So theory is give bottas new engine, so he can steam-through from 6-7th place.
It all depends if Jeddah has good overtaking possibilities i think. But i be surprised if Bottas doesn't as the new power give him a boost to pass. Everyone thought Losil be bad for passing but as perez showed if you have a car advantage u can pass.
Crank it up. Get the 1-2, then it doesn’t matter if it blows in Abu dhabi as constructors would be secure

mstar

bonjon1979 wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 19:10
mstar wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 18:53
Marty_Y wrote:
Interesting, so not a new engine but just a more powerful mapping, if I'm understanding it correctly?
I think mercedes said the engine can be cranked up to higher output as they dont need to save the engine for as much races. So theory is give bottas new engine, so he can steam-through from 6-7th place.
It all depends if Jeddah has good overtaking possibilities i think. But i be surprised if Bottas doesn't as the new power give him a boost to pass. Everyone thought Losil be bad for passing but as perez showed if you have a car advantage u can pass.
Crank it up. Get the 1-2, then it doesn’t matter if it blows in Abu dhabi as constructors would be secure
Wouldn't it be funny if mercedes both drivers took new engines in both races and crank there engines up to MAX as they dont need to save them and get such a straight line advantage they just zoom past everyone LOL

ALl we hear then would be RB arguing that mercedes abused the 5 grid drop rule and Lewis didnt win the championship mercedes stole it with the silly FIA rule :D

I remember 2 years ago someone commenting from mercedes that YES they can crank up the engine for a race and they would have such advantage that they know nobody be able to keep up, But they cannot as the engine needs to last. if they had one engine to last a race like the old days mercedes be milesss ahead

bonjon1979

I think their big concern is keeping max away from Lewis at the first corner, so I guess they’d prefer to qualify 1&2

Marty_Y

bonjon1979 wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 20:18
I think their big concern is keeping max away from Lewis at the first corner, so I guess they’d prefer to qualify 1&2
Agree, but if you look at Mexico how much help was Bottas. In a way that hindered Lewis because he could only defend his side which left the other side free for Max to go through. But I suppose you can't second guess these things as 1-2 is the optimal strategy. As you say the main thing is keeping Max away from Lewis.

dans79

I just saw this!

197 104 103 7

pursue_one's

Marty_Y wrote:
_cerber1 wrote:
27 Nov 2021, 18:59
Mercedes plans to provide Bottas with the same engine as Hamilton, based on the sixth block of the internal combustion engine.

The # 77, according to rumors leaking from Brackley, will feature the sixth engine with a more powerful setup, similar to the one that allowed Hamilton to get pole and win the Brazilian GP.

https://es.motorsport.com/f1/news/merce ... 1/6819930/
However, the engine failure is not that worrisome, as only the fuel pump needs to be replaced, which is not part of the parts limited by the FIA. The German team would have no intention of using the seventh unit of the season, as Mercedes' goal is to get Bottas to the front row of the Saudi Arabian GP, ​​alongside Lewis Hamilton .

The # 77, according to rumors leaking from Brackley, will feature the sixth engine with a more powerful setup, similar to the one that allowed Hamilton to get pole and win the Brazilian GP.
Mercedes have given an update on the state of Valtteri Bottas' power unit after he retired from the Qatar Grand Prix, easing fears of any power unit changes and subsequent grid penalties in Saudi Arabia.

Bottas retired from the Losail race after a dramatic puncture caused significant damage to his car and all but ended his chances of scoring points.

"The car was a bit too damaged, so we didn't want to break it even more. Also, I think [there was] no chance to get points, so we could save a tiny bit of mileage on the engine," commented Bottas at the time.

Bottas' power unit to be fired up as planned
A Mercedes spokesperson has since explained to RacingNews365.com that although a cracked pipe was uncovered outside the sealed perimeter, which caused a leak, inspections indicated the power unit itself is in working order.

Mechanics will fire up the power unit as planned during the car build for this weekend's event at the all-new Jeddah Corniche Circuit.

Bottas has exceeded his season allocation with five of the seven elements that make up F1's current power units. He is running a sixth Internal Combustion Engine, fifth Turbocharger, fifth MGU-H, fourth MGU-K and third Control Electronics.

https://racingnews365.com/mercedes-prov ... arabian-gp
It looks fine.

Just_a_fan

dans79 wrote:
30 Nov 2021, 09:53
I just saw this!

I'm not sure I agree with his conclusion about who will win. Max has the upper hand and needs only to "trip up" with Lewis in each race to secure the title. With them both likely to be battling, it would be easy enough for either to tap a rear wheel with the front wing or some other racing incident. And those can go either way. Realistically, Hamilton has to win both races. Max only needs to win one race and take one FL point (or else have the point taken by anyone other than Hamilton) and he wins even if Lewis wins the other race. Count back gives it to Max if they're tied on points.

The ball is firmly in Max's court and the title is his to lose from here in my opinion. If I were a betting man - and I'm not because betting is a foolish thing to do - I'd have my fiver on Max.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

ringo

This puts into perspective the freebie win Max got at Spa. I really do not think points should have been reward that weekend.
But yes I agree Max has the upper hand. He also can choose to drive nasty with the points advantage as he can crash Hamilton out and still be champion. Even with a race penalty or DQ from the race; he will have the most points.
For Sure!!

Tvetovnato

ringo wrote:
30 Nov 2021, 19:52
This puts into perspective the freebie win Max got at Spa. I really do not think points should have been reward that weekend.
But yes I agree Max has the upper hand. He also can choose to drive nasty with the points advantage as he can crash Hamilton out and still be champion. Even with a race penalty or DQ from the race; he will have the most points.
I had almost forgotten about the shambolic Spa weekend. I don’t even want to imagine that the points awarded that race can be completely decisive for the championship in the end.

Marty_Y

AeroDynamic

Mark Hughes

The experimental new rear wing load test tried out in Qatar may be made into a technical directive here, but both cars comfortably passed the test in Qatar so the flex controversy looks to be a thing of the past.
https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/32420 ... tle-finale

AeroDynamic

Bottas on preparing for Saudi GP

AeroDynamic

dans79

AeroDynamic wrote:
01 Dec 2021, 23:49

Looks a lot more like I would expect the Lap to be driven!
197 104 103 7

AeroDynamic

dans79 wrote:
02 Dec 2021, 01:41
AeroDynamic wrote:
01 Dec 2021, 23:49

Looks a lot more like I would expect the Lap to be driven!

Terrifies me each time I watch it :lol: