2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Dec 10 - 12

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
dans79

Re: 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Dec 10 - 12

Bill_Kar wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 19:21
Surely it will happen. Maybe not next year, maybe the year after, or possibly 3 years away from now, it's inevitable. FIA has opened the Pandora's Box and they don't seem particularly keen on closing it, since it's all part of the "drama" needed for the American F1.
As an American I find this comment insulting!
197 104 103 7

TNTHead

Well, because the clear pace advantage I think they had quite some options to overtake. If they had pitted under the VSC the tyre delta in the end wouldn't be that big and VER probably didnt dare to pit again.

ringo

djones wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 18:08
Some people seem to have the opinion that "what's done is done" and to just leave the protests. But the rules are rules and multiple ones have been broken.

They are not rules where there is scope for interpretation or intent. They are quite literally black and white rules that have been broken.

The result of this race simply has to be changed. The sport is in more disrepute now than if they just change it to ensure rules were complied with.
Agreed. Mercedes and Lewis should not let things slide. The worked just as hard as redbull, and worked even harder to be leading that race up to the safety car. It should not be taken away from them because of corruption.
Hamilton is the rightful World Champion. Max did well all season, but he should not be world champion today.
The race should be called at lap 57. There is no "deserves to be", there are only the rules and regulations that must be followed at all times. Anything else is corruption, as it prevents fair competition. lap 58 should be invalid.
Max should return the trophy. He is not FIA F-1 WDC; not under the pillars of the sport at least.

As much as it pains him, he should not be allowed to be champion. If this goes to court, Mercedes will surely win on both counts of protest.
For Sure!!

DChemTech
DChemTech

TNTHead wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 19:29
Well, because the clear pace advantage I think they had quite some options to overtake. If they had pitted under the VSC the tyre delta in the end wouldn't be that big and VER probably didnt dare to pit again.
Yeah, if it were not for all the FIA controversy, it was MBs pit strategy and mainly the VSC that hit here.

BrunoH
BrunoH

again this year, Silverstone , with one in the hospital and hamilton given a non penalty in essence since he went on to celebrate like they won the championship.. in sky its a no go topic.... But last race Verstappen had to give 2 times the place plus a third penaly after the race!!! Here, lap 1, nothing happens, 2. wolf cry on the radio, shouts, demands no safety car etc ( Horner got a penalty for much less ) again no safety car was depolyed, and now this at the end. Merceded coulg go to the pits if they wanted. Max WON ON TRACK more than fair! crying for this front wing was for second ahead 5 corners before the safety car restart line is the biggest and most shamefull thing i have ever seen in F1!!!! shame on Mercedes!

Jolle
Jolle

FIA before the race: we will come down on everyone with great force.
FIA after the race: what, rules, nah…

e30ernest
e30ernest

TNTHead wrote:
That's a big gamble though, especially if you consider that would involve relinquishing track position. Merc's strategy was correct because after the VSC, it was apparent that even when Max pitted, his degradation meant he wouldn't be able to close the gap to Lewis anyway.

And on the SC, they couldn't pit because it was likely the race would have ended in a SC. That's Rosberg's argument too, Mercedes' decision not to pit at the end was based on how the rules used to be applied for SCs. If they followed normal SC procedure, the Merc strategy would have been fine here too.
Last edited by e30ernest on 12 Dec 2021, 19:35, edited 1 time in total.

Roo
Roo

littlebigcat wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 19:27
This won't be going to CAS, the Mercedes board won't allow further appeal beyond today. But Toto will threaten it for politics
If Merc don't they're allowing MV the same type of driving next season, That isn't in Mercs interests, a comprimise where LH is allowed to be WDC next seasone might fit Mercs interests.

BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

Bill_Kar wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 19:25
TNTHead wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 19:17
You can discuss for pages and pages about the SC and unlapping cars, but strategy wise Merc was too cautious to loose track position. Rb outsmarted them with an aggressive strategy that - with some luck, definitely- payed out heavily. Seeing the course of the season, most of the time they were unlucky (blown tyre in Baku comes in mind for instance).

I can feel for the Merc fans: it feels like with soccer you dominate heavily, but loose a match because of a debatable penalty. But this also belongs to the sport.
To me, strategy was fine. He couldn't pit under VSC or SC because the gap was not enough to find himself ahead of Max.

RB just did what any team would have done; throw everything at Mercedes because a) they were slower today, by quite some margin and b) the guy behind has always the opportunity to react to the guy ahead.

If Mercedes pitted and Hamilton was stuck behind MV, we would talk of an extreme blunder.
TBF I think they should have pit the lap after Max did as it was still under the VSC. The gap would have stayed the same, but then the whole kafuffle at the end might have been different with lapped cars

El Scorchio

TNTHead wrote:
Nope. You’re completely wrong. Mercedes played the situations the core t way- the only way they could. You don’t give up track position. They were just incredibly unlucky twice.

However they’d have squeaked it by one lap if Masi hadn’t thrown the FIA rule book in the bin just for the sake of a one lap sprint between two cars that should never- by rule- have been allowed to happen.

If the race is 59 laps then that’s just tough luck on Hamilton and MB, but 58 laps would have been just enough had Masi not have just made it up as he want along for drama.

Whatever happens, that clown should be fired for all the terrible decisions he’s made this season. This one is just the crowning turd atop the cake.

Stu

Macklaren wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 18:42
dans79 wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 18:26
Ryar wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 18:04
An overtake under SC, is a position gained. Did Max gain position under SC? No. Has that happened in the past where under safety car, the car ahead and behind are side by side, or nose ahead of car behind? Yes. DId the leader not start in his position when it was a go? Yes he did.

that's now what the rules say.
https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... -12-08.pdf

With the exception of the cases listed under a) to h) below, no driver may overtake another car
on the track, including the safety car, until he passes the Line (see Article 5.3) for the first time
after the safety car has returned to the pits.
The question then becomes what constitutes an "overtake"? Technically, putting your wing in front DOES constitute an overtake...but under SC conditions? esp. if you give it back after 1 second?

I think this season has made it very clear that there is far too much ambiguity in the regulations -- even blac-and-white rules, let alone sporting reg/driving behavior rules
And that has implications on Silverstone, Brazil, Qatar and Saudi Arabia decisions.
Any individual argument has to be taken to a logical (and historical) conclusion. I had no favourite in this result. Historically I have not been a fan of Red Bull or Mercedes.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Roo
Roo

BrunoH wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 19:32
again this year, Silverstone , with one in the hospital and hamilton given a non penalty in essence since he went on to celebrate like they won the championship.. in sky its a no go topic.... But last race Verstappen had to give 2 times the place plus a third penaly after the race!!! Here, lap 1, nothing happens, 2. wolf cry on the radio, shouts, demands no safety car etc ( Horner got a penalty for much less ) again no safety car was depolyed, and now this at the end. Merceded coulg go to the pits if they wanted. Max WON ON TRACK more than fair! crying for this front wing was for second ahead 5 corners before the safety car restart line is the biggest and most shamefull thing i have ever seen in F1!!!! shame on Mercedes!
Please; you're conflating issues. The first one is easily dismissed, MV was at hospital not in hospital. not because of LH because MV and lack of facilities at Silverstone.

MV didnt win on track, politics decided one lap.

nimoraca
nimoraca

Even if it somehow turns out to be under the rules, the fact that FIA has gone so far out of their way to orchestrate an overtake for Verstappen on 4 seconds faster tires so he can win the championship makes this championship disgusting. For FIA to loudly claim that they do not want to decide the champion, they surely tried very hard to put all this together.

jurinius
jurinius

Regulation is there to define the sport, or this should not be called a competition. If Max is uncrowned after this, it is all due to FIA incompetence. nothing to do with the drivers.

The lap one incident was a torpilla overtaking always with a common clear intention to destroy the opponent race. I really want to see how Max is turning his wheel at that point, you should claim the advantage you had not the advantage you re expecting to have.

I really don't know how Lewis was still racing so well with attitude like that. Even the Perez show was this entertaining because of Lewis racing class. The last thing even on fresher tires the guy still weaving on racing line... That's just pure atrocity to watch but Lewis gave them a salute.
Last edited by jurinius on 12 Dec 2021, 19:56, edited 1 time in total.
“And suddenly I realized that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension.”
― Ayrton Senna

wogx

Where are the people now who said Max was going to crash into Lewis?
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.