Post rating system changes

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Wouter

Re: Post rating system changes

Steven wrote:
08 Jan 2022, 10:48
Also, the Honda General topic... the only person who could really come complain about vote removal there is ispano, who shared and translated some very valuable Japanese articles. The rest pretty much falls into the back tapping and agreement category (just like what was happening in the team threads btw).

Stunning how some people find the need to make this an argument here again...
I was just trying to speak up for some Japanese speaking members (including Ispano) and especially @Wazari, a Honda employee.
That way I can give/do something back for all the valuable messages they have posted here and from which I have been able to learn a lot.
Fine if you find that stunning, I think that's quite normal.
The Power of Dreams!

nzjrs

FWIW I upvote all the posts that Japanese forum members translate to English, even if what they translate is less than technical.

I think that is a fair way to compensate those users for their work.

Steven
Owner

I understand the votes, but there really is no reason to make a fuss about their removal. The posts stay there, and it's not like the Honda topic contained the only valuable contributions across the General Chat forum. It is just part of the way towards a system where we base member ratings on their technical contributions. And if you want to know, I never had a high value, and it still dropped in the process :mrgreen:

Anyway, all votes removed, and rating disabled there.

Stu

Used correctly, that is exactly what upvoting is for (it is to recommend the post for other users). However, a great deal of upvoting in the non-technical sections is used to ‘like’ a post, which is incorrect use of upvoting.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Wouter

nzjrs wrote:
08 Jan 2022, 12:18
FWIW I upvote all the posts that Japanese forum members translate to English, even if what they translate is less than technical.

Yes, I did that too. But now all those upvotes will disappear, because it isn't a technical topic
and I feel sorry for them because they put a lot of time in it to share those information with us.
The Power of Dreams!

AeroDynamic

Wouter wrote:
08 Jan 2022, 12:32
nzjrs wrote:
08 Jan 2022, 12:18

Yes, I did that too. But now all those upvotes will disappear, because it isn't a technical topic
and I feel sorry for them because they put a lot of time in it to share those information with us.
why? they did it to help you guys.. hopefully not for upvotes. if its for upvotes, sure, I feel sorry for them if they cared a lot about that. but the work and appreciate is still there.
Steven wrote:
08 Jan 2022, 12:25
I understand the votes, but there really is no reason to make a fuss about their removal. The posts stay there, and it's not like the Honda topic contained the only valuable contributions across the General Chat forum. It is just part of the way towards a system where we base member ratings on their technical contributions. And if you want to know, I never had a high value, and it still dropped in the process :mrgreen:

simply, lovely. :-({|=

Ryar

Steven wrote:
08 Jan 2022, 12:25

I guess this is done for this year's "non-technical threads" and not retrofit to the previous years' threads. If one of the objectives is to ensure poster's vote validity (although as a sub plot), then there should be consistency to remove votes from previous years' teams' threads too. If this has been done and I don't understand, then my bad.

I must say, this is a good step as Upvoting and Downvoting in non technical threads reached toxic levels.

Also, I assume if any poster now creates a thread under "Formula One Teams" category, by default voting is disabled?

Can there be daily limits on number of posts an individual can post in a race thread, to limit the escalations? Every time there is a situation, suddenly there is flurry of posts, usually repetitive in nature and adds no further value than what was stated once or twice.
Hakuna Matata!

Zynerji

Steven wrote:
Zynerji wrote:
08 Jan 2022, 01:15
Nah. I still get downvoted for being "hostile and primitive" for promoting a superfuel in F1... 🙄
Nothing here changed...😪
So you're complaining you got a downvote for this:??
Zynerji wrote:
07 Jan 2022, 04:45
Meh. It's car racing.
Nitromethane and stfu.
Ok, nothing to see here. Moving on :roll:

Also, the Honda General topic... the only person who could really come complain about vote removal there is ispano, who shared and translated some very valuable Japanese articles. The rest pretty much falls into the back tapping and agreement category (just like what was happening in the team threads btw).
Clean is clean. Sir.

The arbitrary nature of what is enforced and what is not, as well as a lack of consistency of rules across forums is not a problem of the members.

It's a failure of management due to lack of vision and grip.

Hoffman900

Zynerji wrote:
08 Jan 2022, 16:22
Steven wrote:
Zynerji wrote:
08 Jan 2022, 01:15
Nah. I still get downvoted for being "hostile and primitive" for promoting a superfuel in F1... 🙄
Nothing here changed...😪
Zynerji wrote:
07 Jan 2022, 04:45
Meh. It's car racing.
Nitromethane and stfu.

Clean is clean. Sir.

The arbitrary nature of what is enforced and what is not, as well as a lack of consistency of rules across forums is not a problem of the members.

Maybe just focus on posting good technical content or asking good technical questions, and not paying attention to whether it results in upvotes or downvotes is probably the best way forward.

I feel like this is arguing about losing "likes" on social media.

Zynerji

Hoffman900 wrote:
08 Jan 2022, 17:14
Zynerji wrote:
Steven wrote:

Clean is clean. Sir.

Maybe just focus on posting good technical content or asking good technical questions, and not paying attention to whether it results in upvotes or downvotes is probably the best way forward.

Nah. To me its about how opinion bias shapes the technical forum and it's moderation. Humans are colorful. It would be super dull if it was just walls of math here instead of the passion, speculation and humor from educated members. I'm on mobile 99% of the time, and dont even see the vote count unless I go into my profile, so that part effects me not.

But to say back patting is not allowed, but back biting is fine as long as a moderator agrees with it is a bit juvenile for the average education level of our forum members.

turbof1

Nah. To me its about how opinion bias shapes the technical forum and it's moderation.
We are extremely biased towards being unbiased :wink: . Love you too, Zynderji. Can we please move away from whatever point you are trying to make and get back ontopic?
#AeroFrodo

Zynerji

So. Commenting on moderating in a moderation change thread isn't welcome?

It's cool. Ima head out now. 🤣

PS. Can I get the downvotes removed from when I said Claire Williams was the reason Williams was so terrible? I mean, a current fact-check proves that I was correct at the time of writing... But, you know...🙄

diffuser

Zynerji wrote:
08 Jan 2022, 17:46
Hoffman900 wrote:
08 Jan 2022, 17:14
Zynerji wrote:

Clean is clean. Sir.

Nah. To me its about how opinion bias shapes the technical forum and it's moderation. Humans are colorful. It would be super dull if it was just walls of math here instead of the passion, speculation and humor from educated members. I'm on mobile 99% of the time, and dont even see the vote count unless I go into my profile, so that part effects me not.

But to say back patting is not allowed, but back biting is fine as long as a moderator agrees with it is a bit juvenile for the average education level of our forum members.

Don't think they're stopping you from quoting someone and writing something positive or disagreeing and stating why. You just can't pervert the intended use of votes to do it anonymously. Well and nobody is keeping score.
Last edited by diffuser on 08 Jan 2022, 19:52, edited 1 time in total.

diffuser

Zynerji wrote:
08 Jan 2022, 19:09
So. Commenting on moderating in a moderation change thread isn't welcome?

It's cool. Ima head out now. 🤣

PS. Can I get the downvotes removed from when I said Claire Williams was the reason Williams was so terrible? I mean, a current fact-check proves that I was correct at the time of writing... But, you know...🙄
Try reading responses to your questions BEFORE reposting..

Steven wrote:
07 Jan 2022, 10:29
In "General Chat" and "Formula One Teams", all votes, positive and negative, will be erased, and no future voting will be possible.

This has already happened to "Formula One Teams" so some drop in reps will be noticeable. Most ratings are however done in the car threads, so people contributing there a lot will see less impact than those focusing on the team threads so far.

"General Chat" still needs some cleanup, which in some cases means moving threads to a technical section as well. When all this is done, voting will be disabled there too.

Thanks for welcoming these changes!

PlatinumZealot

A step in the right direction. =D>
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏