Post rating system changes

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
west52keep64

Re: Post rating system changes

Yup, it's massively better already, definitely the correct thing to do.

djos

While I agree with the changes, it is frustrating to lose more than half of my positive points. 😫
"In downforce we trust"

Greg Locock

Cheer up, they are (more than) twice as valuable now!

djos

Good point. 👍
"In downforce we trust"

Greg Locock

So where's my upvote then? oh....

Ryar

djos wrote:
09 Jan 2022, 00:03
While I agree with the changes, it is frustrating to lose more than half of my positive points. 😫
To be honest, the upvote points count for nothing. Active Posters here know each other well as far as the content they post. So if someone has -ve points or over 500 points means really nothing. Upvotes are more often agreements votes than representing quality of posts. So from that perspective, even if someone lost all of their upvotes, it still really means nothing.
Hakuna Matata!

J.A.W.

Greg Locock wrote:
09 Jan 2022, 05:27
So where's my upvote then? oh....

Cruel but funny Greg, you wily ol' bastard..

Some of us appear not to have lost much in the way of 'rep',
as it happens, with the trash deleted, which does rather
tend to demonstrate the effectiveness of Steven el al's efforts...
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

djos

Ryar wrote:
09 Jan 2022, 06:24
djos wrote:
09 Jan 2022, 00:03
To be honest, the upvote points count for nothing. Active Posters here know each other well as far as the content they post. So if someone has -ve points or over 500 points means really nothing. Upvotes are more often agreements votes than representing quality of posts. So from that perspective, even if someone lost all of their upvotes, it still really means nothing.
That Is true, positive votes can be a bit of a circle jerk sometimes. However if you look at some of those with mostly negative points, you know they are FoS and to be ignored.

Imo it was a good karma gauge. 🤣
"In downforce we trust"

jjn9128

Ryar wrote:
So if someone has -ve points or over 500 points means really nothing.
😢
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

AeroDynamic

So, more often than not might mean 60% of the time, maybe more, maybe less, depending on which thread. That would still be alot of valuable upvotes on posts. It depends on the user as well. Some users predominantly shared opinion pieces over contentious subjects so most of their upvotes will have vanished and yes in that case, all mean nothing about their contribution.

Other users, such as those in the Honda topic that Wouter mentioned, will not predominantly be made up of such pieces, but perhaps some new insights of information, some technical leaning, and in the case of that user and others like them, their up votes actually did hold meaning. Maybe not as much as other users who offered in-depth technical knowledge / answers in the tech sections, but certainly not what you’d call meaningless either.

So, sometimes those upvotes had some value to what kind of user they were. And more users, maybe too many, had jumped up voting scores from accumulating them in their agreement pieces, and hence meant nothing much in terms of contribution.

If we look at my score,

I had 14. I lost 10 from team threads - what much else was there to discuss at this phase of the season ? :lol: - but maintained 4 for technical related content in the tech forum.

I guess I’ve used some of my time more meaningfully than many would dare give me credit for :mrgreen:

west52keep64

jjn9128 wrote:
09 Jan 2022, 11:16
Ryar wrote:
😢
Evidence that Ryar is quite wrong on this. The ratings are now a lot more representative of the technical quality a user contributes to the forum. Yourself being probably one of the best examples of that.

Ryar

west52keep64 wrote:
09 Jan 2022, 13:51
jjn9128 wrote:
09 Jan 2022, 11:16
Ryar wrote:
😢
Evidence that Ryar is quite wrong on this. The ratings are now a lot more representative of the technical quality a user contributes to the forum. Yourself being probably one of the best examples of that.
That's precisely the point. People already know whose who!
Hakuna Matata!

SiLo

Going back and looking through some of my older posts that got a negative vote, it's quite funny. Whilst they were in technical threads, the reasons for downvoting were nothing to do with being technical, it was just to disagree, or because a fan of a team didn't like my post.
Felipe Baby!

nzjrs

Let's not forget the point of the rating changes was to elicit better behaviour from users on the forum. Until the season starts we won't really know if that worked or not.

But by all means, until then, let's argue about votes and their speculative value.

Big Tea

SiLo wrote:
09 Jan 2022, 21:59
Going back and looking through some of my older posts that got a negative vote, it's quite funny. Whilst they were in technical threads, the reasons for downvoting were nothing to do with being technical, it was just to disagree, or because a fan of a team didn't like my post.
Its strange, but I looked at my reduced 'count' and realised I did not know what it was before. Even if you look back on old posts it has changed.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.