2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AeroDynamic

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

adrianjordan wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 15:33
All this talk of Hamilton's age and its impact on his fitness makes me laugh.

Look at some other top sports people, in tennis, in endurance cycling and I am sure other sports, you have people still winning in their mid to late 30s.

Sports conditioning now is leaps and bounds ahead of even 10 years ago.

Hamilton can realistically expect to maintain his current level of fitness into his 40s. Yes, it might take more work and some more intense techniques, but there is absolutely no reason to think that, at 37, he is past his peak. At his peak yes, but past it? No.
Everyone is different. Is roger federer been his best the last 4 years? No. This is not a black and white issue. What was suggested is that he could well begin the trend of being past his peak any time from now. It could be next year, or the year after. He won’t be peaking any better than his level from the last 5 years that’s for sure. Nobody actually said he was past it, they suggested it’s not a given he will turn up this year and be better.

JordanFiveOh

Also see: Tom Brady

AeroDynamic

So Basically, the FIA conclusion to investigating the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, the rules, the use of the safety car etc, will be completed by early February and teams and drivers will be consulted on what the future looks like regarding the governing of the sport (any changes) but the confirmation and approval exercise by the FIA will not be sealed and signed until the eve of the first race in March.

siskue2005

wogx wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 19:18
Hamilton will be at least number 1.5, if not number 2 Mercedes driver after 2022 season. George is unbelievably quick & fast adaptive, he was faster than Bottas since his first training in a Merc! Hamilton will be struggling in that competition, unfortunately... Post-COVID LH44 is not the same GOAT :(
Really?
Then why was he slower than Bottas in qualifying 3? and started in second place behind Bottas who was in pole?
ost-COVID LH44 is not the same GOAT :(
Post covid or long covid only lasts for 8 to 9 months (I should know that as a doctor working in NHS UK)
So there is no long term effects beyond a year'

If a post covid lewis can deliver a season like 2021, then just imagine if her is fully recovered from covid in 2022 what he can do)
Last edited by siskue2005 on 13 Jan 2022, 22:06, edited 2 times in total.

dans79

AeroDynamic wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 20:20

So Basically, the FIA conclusion to investigating the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, the rules, the use of the safety car etc, will be completed by early February and teams and drivers will be consulted on what the future looks like regarding the governing of the sport (any changes) but the confirmation and approval exercise by the FIA will not be sealed and signed until the eve of the first race in March.
Honestly, I don't see what the big deal is about replacing Masi. His job isn't a highly technical one that requires a specific
and rare set of skills. Follow and apply the rules as they are written, and back that up with a dose of common sense and a backbone!

A number of members of this forum could do his job better than he has!
197 104 103 7

siskue2005

AeroDynamic wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 15:41
adrianjordan wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 15:33
All this talk of Hamilton's age and its impact on his fitness makes me laugh.

Look at some other top sports people, in tennis, in endurance cycling and I am sure other sports, you have people still winning in their mid to late 30s.

Sports conditioning now is leaps and bounds ahead of even 10 years ago.

Hamilton can realistically expect to maintain his current level of fitness into his 40s. Yes, it might take more work and some more intense techniques, but there is absolutely no reason to think that, at 37, he is past his peak. At his peak yes, but past it? No.
Everyone is different. Is roger federer been his best the last 4 years? No. This is not a black and white issue. What was suggested is that he could well begin the trend of being past his peak any time from now. It could be next year, or the year after. He won’t be peaking any better than his level from the last 5 years that’s for sure. Nobody actually said he was past it, they suggested it’s not a given he will turn up this year and be better.
Age is just a number, it all depends of how u train and maintain ur body and reflexes.
In the last decade there has been huge jump in tech and understanding, Lewis can maintain his peak for 2 to 3 years easily

pursue_one's

In a new interview with Kronen Zeitung Toto Wolff was asked if he is getting over the controversial ending of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

“That will never be forgotten, because what happened to Lewis was just wrong,” Wolff said.

“He was unbeatable that day. Until race management blown their fuses and decided to do three rule violations.

“It’s just hard to understand. It will always stay with us, even though Max Verstappen is a worthy world champion over the course of the season.

“But that day one was better than the other – and he didn’t win.”

Lewis Hamilton has not been heard from publicly since that race, so Wolff was asked to provide an update.

“No matter what hurdle he faced, he has known all his life that he has to speak on the racetrack,” the Austrian continued.

“But it is incredibly difficult for him until he has found a way to understand what was right and what was wrong. It just takes time.”

Toto has previously implied that Lewis’ future in Formula 1 was not certain, so when asked if we can expect to see the Briton on the track in 2022, he said:

“I really hope we’ll see him again. He is the most important part of our sport. It would be an indictment for the whole of Formula 1 if the best driver decides to quit because of outrageous decisions.”

And when will Toto see Lewis next?

“No later than February, and certainly not to drink tequila, I had enough of that in Abu Dhabi,” joked Wolff referencing the videos of him partying with the team after the race, which surfaced the next day.

Wolff: „Wäre Armutszeugnis für die ganze Formel 1“
https://www.krone.at/2601033

siskue2005

pursue_one's wrote:
14 Jan 2022, 00:15
In a new interview with Kronen Zeitung Toto Wolff was asked if he is getting over the controversial ending of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

“That will never be forgotten, because what happened to Lewis was just wrong,” Wolff said.

“He was unbeatable that day. Until race management blown their fuses and decided to do three rule violations.

“It’s just hard to understand. It will always stay with us, even though Max Verstappen is a worthy world champion over the course of the season.

Lewis Hamilton has not been heard from publicly since that race, so Wolff was asked to provide an update.

“No matter what hurdle he faced, he has known all his life that he has to speak on the racetrack,” the Austrian continued.

“But it is incredibly difficult for him until he has found a way to understand what was right and what was wrong. It just takes time.”

Toto has previously implied that Lewis’ future in Formula 1 was not certain, so when asked if we can expect to see the Briton on the track in 2022, he said:

“I really hope we’ll see him again. He is the most important part of our sport. It would be an indictment for the whole of Formula 1 if the best driver decides to quit because of outrageous decisions.”

“No later than February, and certainly not to drink tequila, I had enough of that in Abu Dhabi,” joked Wolff referencing the videos of him partying with the team after the race, which surfaced the next day.

Isnt this the transcript from the video interview Toto gave just before the prize-giving ceremony?

PlatinumZealot

Lewis should be OK fitness wise. I mean his fitness did decline noticeably in 2021 as we saw him winded and blue in the face after some races but I expect those Long Covid symptoms to clear up for 2022.

As for whether he will come back with a vengeance? Yeah! Duuuh!!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

pursue_one's

siskue2005 wrote:
14 Jan 2022, 00:20
pursue_one's wrote:
14 Jan 2022, 00:15

Isnt this the transcript from the video interview Toto gave just before the prize-giving ceremony?
No, This interview dates from his birthday.

SiLo

Bottas with a very open and honest podcast talking about racing against Lewis:

host (oskari saari): you’ve been also following from very close distance someone who i think is the – well, let’s but it this way, one of the greatest f1 drivers of all time, who has been your teammate: lewis hamilton

vb: i can say that the greatest of all time

oskari: yeah?

vb: yes!

oskari: what makes him the greatest?

valtteri: i have never before, until a few days ago when i saw lewis (my note: my understading is that this episode was filmed a little after the mercedes factory celebrations), said that to anyone, because it’s compeletly against the nature of a racing driver to say someone is better than you. so i told lewis that you’re the first and only person i’m saying this to, but you’re better than i am, and you’re the best in the world. and lewis is! he’s been through a hard childhood, he’s got the talent and natural ability towards this sport but he also works incredibly hard. when lewis is working he works so hard that he makes sure he stays in that top level. when you but together the talent, the experience and the the hard work he does, you have to say that he is in his own level compared to literally everyone else. of course i have my days when i can beat him which always feels great, but when you but together the whole season i simply can’t beat him. lewis’ stability over a season, how rarely he has bad weekends and how he can always maximize every situation - you know it’s always about very small things but the stability is where he is a step forward. maybe it’s about having better nerves or something else, but to me he is in a different level than anyone else in that paddock.

oskari: i don’t think anyone is in a better place than you to observe these things, so we’ll take your word for it. i think many would also become very demoralisized by that but to me it’s seems that for you it’s the opposite.

valtteri: yeah i mean it did take many years, literally it was a couple of days ago that for the first time i could really admit it to myself and also tell lewis that. the first years i was really fighting that and i strained myself a lot - thinking you know, it can’t be, i can beat everyone, but to me now i’ve just had to accept that that’s how it goes. i think in every sport there has to be someone who is the greatest of all time and it’s obviously not me, but it has not always been far off you know. lewis also told me that there has been days where he has felt that he has performed in a really good level but still didn’t beat me, and to me i can take positives from things like that. that you know, on my days no one can beat me but those days just simply aren’t everyday.

oskari: so the difference is over a very long season. do you think that in a way it’s inspiring having witnessed all of that from so closely?

valtteri: absolutely, and i have learned a lot. like i said it’s all about very small details and there is just certains things where he is a step ahead – specially with lewis on sundays he can always find some extra energy and power no matter the situation.

oskari: do you think that it has fed your hunger to be the best having witnessed how lewis does things?

valtteri: absolutely: as long as you are in this sport i think you can get better and find always something a little bit extra. i truly think that i can still get better even though i’m 32. so of course it’s still a dream to some day be the best. i also have to say that lewis did tell me that he has learned a lot from my driving as well. we have honestly quite similar driving styles, but of course still different, and many times there has been some corner where he has never managed to beat my time but gotten really close, and he said that if he wouldn’t have seen how i do places like that on the track he wouldn’t have been able to get a great time in quali, so i think our teamwork has been great in that sense also.

source: https://eleyhsa.tumblr.com/post/6731666 ... -means-new

this is a translation of a podcast.
Felipe Baby!

AeroDynamic

Thanks for the share, that was a good read.

I don’t know why Valtteri struggled so much on Sunday, but to put in perspective his one lap performance, he created an equal if not bigger gap to Massa in qualifying pace as -as team mates in the same equipment - as Fernando Alonso could when teammates with Massa, So his qualifying pace is genuinely strong.

I still think one of the reasons Hamilton wasn’t too far ahead of Valterri on Saturday or behind on sporadic occasions, was because he could afford to sacrifice set up geared towards one lap pace, more than Valterri could? It would make sense to me.

There’s a calibre of drivers, who, on their best days, can beat The top level drivers, but the top level drivers, on their best days, not only beat everyone, but do sensational drives.

diffuser

AeroDynamic wrote:
14 Jan 2022, 18:44

I don’t know why Valtteri struggled so much on Sunday, but to put in perspective his one lap performance, he created an equal if not bigger gap to Massa in qualifying pace as -as team mates in the same equipment - as Fernando Alonso could when teammates with Massa, So his qualifying pace is genuinely strong.

I still think one of the reasons Hamilton wasn’t too far ahead of Valterri on Saturday or behind on sporadic occasions, was because he could afford to sacrifice set up geared towards one lap pace, more than Valterri could? It would make sense to me.

There’s a calibre of drivers, who, on their best days, can beat The top level drivers, but the top level drivers, on their best days, not only beat everyone, but do sensational drives.
Valtteri struggles with tire management. Why he struggle with tire management, I don't know. If the tires were more durable, he would have challenged Lewis more.

Hoffman900

diffuser wrote:
17 Jan 2022, 16:17
AeroDynamic wrote:
14 Jan 2022, 18:44

Valtteri struggles with tire management. Why he struggle with tire management, I don't know. If the tires were more durable, he would have challenged Lewis more.
If the tires were more durable, Lewis would still manage them better. You can’t move the goal post for only one driver.

I like Valtteri, he’s into bikes and coffee, but I agree with what was said above. Most drivers in the right equipment can beat Lewis (and the other greats at their peak) on a good day, but over a whole season is another matter. You saw this in NASCAR with Jimmy Johnson (and it was peak NASCAR), Scott Dixon in the IRL, etc.

Stu

The ‘greats’ are so-named as they are mostly better than the ‘merely’ good; a great day for the ‘merely’ good can be better than an average day for ‘great’, an average day for a ‘great’ will be much better than an average day for the ‘merely’ good.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.