F1TV Discounts out yet - 2022?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Cuky

Re: F1TV Discounts out yet - 2022?

Big Tea wrote:
07 Jan 2022, 22:21
Cuky wrote:
07 Jan 2022, 19:58
The thing is, I'm on Android TV (Sony Bravia to be exact). For now my workaround is to have my PC connected to one of HDMI ports, so I just move my browser window to that screen and watch it that way. Not perfect, but works for now
Can you not use firefox or chrome directly on the android system?
To make a honest fool of myself, I never even thought of that. I saw that there is no F1TV app for my TV and I had an extra HDMI cable laying around so I just thought "bingo" and hooked it up like that

Zynerji

Cuky wrote:
08 Jan 2022, 20:49
Big Tea wrote:
07 Jan 2022, 22:21
Cuky wrote:
The thing is, I'm on Android TV (Sony Bravia to be exact). For now my workaround is to have my PC connected to one of HDMI ports, so I just move my browser window to that screen and watch it that way. Not perfect, but works for now
Can you not use firefox or chrome directly on the android system?
To make a honest fool of myself, I never even thought of that. I saw that there is no F1TV app for my TV and I had an extra HDMI cable laying around so I just thought "bingo" and hooked it up like that
That didn't work on my Samsung. As the video only plays in "approved" browsers like EDGE and Chrome. (No Opera).

I had to sideload the app from the android app store, and it only works for the current live feed. You cannot access the archive when doing it this way.

cooken

You guys know you can use Chromecast via the app or your desktop web browser right?

Juzh

cooken wrote:
08 Jan 2022, 19:51
Juzh wrote:
08 Jan 2022, 18:37
siskue2005 wrote:
07 Jan 2022, 22:39

The UK SKY f1 is very very very expensive
What I do is I use VPN to put USA as my location and have taken a F1 TV subscription.
I have a sony android tv, so I can run VPN on it and F1 TV app on it
There is no quality loss, its exactly the same. There is a 50 sec delay, but I dial back the live timings to match the TV.

All these only costs 1/3rd of the Sky F1 Uk subscription :lol:
Yes, but sky f1 broadcast is in 4k and will work 99.99% of time, something that can not be said about f1tv, though it did work almost flawlessly this year, even with viewer numbers on considerably up compared to last year, so maybe it's now a problem of the past.

Sky also has that red button thingy where you can watch onboard streams in crisp 1080p50 @ 15 mb/s (same ones used for world feed) instead of muddy 720p50 @ 3500 mb/s on f1tv. And then there's "onboard mix" channel with integrated speedo, throttle, brake, gear and rpm (another thing missing in f1tv, most likely on purpose).

Basically if you're a die hard f1 nutcase then sky is worth it, otherwise obviously not so much. Personally I'd probably have both sky and f1tv if were in UK :mrgreen:
The loss in quality is unfortunate, but for a for die hard F1 nutcase I would argue something like F1 viewer (https://github.com/SoMuchForSubtlety/f1viewer) is the way to go. Is that possible with the sky broadcast?

It's a bit of work but well worth it to have several concurrent streams all on one display.
https://preview.redd.it/bz03ebyyin851.j ... 8acd14bd34
Personally I use race control which is more or less similar but with better GUI for my taste
https://github.com/robvdpol/RaceControl

Zynerji

Juzh wrote:
08 Jan 2022, 23:37
cooken wrote:
08 Jan 2022, 19:51
Juzh wrote:
08 Jan 2022, 18:37

Yes, but sky f1 broadcast is in 4k and will work 99.99% of time, something that can not be said about f1tv, though it did work almost flawlessly this year, even with viewer numbers on considerably up compared to last year, so maybe it's now a problem of the past.

Sky also has that red button thingy where you can watch onboard streams in crisp 1080p50 @ 15 mb/s (same ones used for world feed) instead of muddy 720p50 @ 3500 mb/s on f1tv. And then there's "onboard mix" channel with integrated speedo, throttle, brake, gear and rpm (another thing missing in f1tv, most likely on purpose).

Basically if you're a die hard f1 nutcase then sky is worth it, otherwise obviously not so much. Personally I'd probably have both sky and f1tv if were in UK :mrgreen:
The loss in quality is unfortunate, but for a for die hard F1 nutcase I would argue something like F1 viewer (https://github.com/SoMuchForSubtlety/f1viewer) is the way to go. Is that possible with the sky broadcast?

It's a bit of work but well worth it to have several concurrent streams all on one display.
https://preview.redd.it/bz03ebyyin851.j ... 8acd14bd34
Personally I use race control which is more or less similar but with better GUI for my taste
https://github.com/robvdpol/RaceControl
Ooh.... can I run this on my home media server and send to connected tvs!??! This could be super!

zeph

Here in the US I can confirm the Roku app has been working flawlessly since I resubscribed in August last year.

Cuky

cooken wrote:
08 Jan 2022, 22:14
You guys know you can use Chromecast via the app or your desktop web browser right?
Chromecast isn't available in my region. And even if it was, I don't feel like I would actually have a lot of use for it.

cooken

Cuky wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 16:58
cooken wrote:
Chromecast isn't available in my region. And even if it was, I don't feel like I would actually have a lot of use for it.
Huh? Maybe I'm just ignorant, but I don't get why or how Chromecast would not work for casting from the F1TV app (or browser) as long as the streaming service itself is available in your region. One of the reasons I mentioned it was many TVs these days have it built-in.

flynfrog

Racer Magazine had a pretty good discount last year. I was hoping that was coming back and the magazine is pretty good too.

Cuky

cooken wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 21:21
Cuky wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 16:58
cooken wrote:
Huh? Maybe I'm just ignorant, but I don't get why or how Chromecast would not work for casting from the F1TV app (or browser) as long as the streaming service itself is available in your region. One of the reasons I mentioned it was many TVs these days have it built-in.
It almost certainly would work. But watching F1 would probably be my only use for it and I don't think it warrants the costs. Plus, it is not available here where I live (like many good things sadly) so I have to get by what I can with.

langedweil

Cuky wrote:
I'm running an unofficial app on my nVidia Shield (AndroidTV) made by a fan which works perfectly fine.
Dunno the name, but is available in the appstore.
Casting does work, but it somehow lags .. and therefor suxx.

Weirdest thing is the browser version on my Win11 notebook just doesnt want to play the videos, and their techdesk (bit of a joke) have no clue. I guess it's a codec issue, but haven't figured it out.
HuggaWugga !

Starscreamer

Still waiting for my SPA compesation free version
#33 2 THE MAX 3RSTAPP3N
***WORLD CHAMPION 2021, 2022 & 2023

AeroDynamic

I tried watching some of last season and the quality is very poor. I was hoping for netflix/amazon prime quality streaming but its literally chok-a-blok of macro blocking and compression noise. a lot of detail is muddied up. is there a quality setting somewhere?

the sky broadcast stream, in comparison seemed quite good. interestingly, sky seem to brightened their image and boost the saturation/brightness/contrast.

edit.

the comparison I was described was specifically the onboard streams. the main feed seems to have the same brightness/saturation etc.

it also seems like the onboard streams are particularly worse? maybe because there's less static image with the onboard stream, and the compression is more heavy.

Juzh

Yeah, onboard feeds are a washout on f1tv, no way around it. Back in 2018 they used to be same quality as what you're describing you're getting on sky, but it was unstable and feeds suffered from stutters and breakups, so they lowered bitrate and quality down to ground. At least now it's sort of working fine.

angel_gabe

hei guys pleasure to meet :D
I was looking for a discount code as well for the F1 TV Pro; but couldn't find any. in any case, there is a workaround this, by registering and paying in Turkey. it's around 22€ / year.
if you don't have a turkish payment, than you can pay via Apple Itunes card ( I already did that and it's working )

for the onboard cameras; yes the quality is poor, and it's meant to do that from a phisical standpoint. the cars are simply just to fast to provide a better quality bitrate. It's a fight between Quality stream and FPS. if you increase one the other one will deacrese.

let us know if you find a discount code