2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Hoffman900
Hoffman900
208
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:02 am

Re: 2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Post

So far:

Merc / Mclaren / Williams using a tight, centerline cooling concept. Aston Martin in a totally different direction, but if the rumor of Dan Fallows (I give 5% credibility to rumors) isn't happy, that provide some clues.

Ferrari / Haas / Alfa Romeo, not nearly as tight as packaging. Big side pods with varying degrees of undercut. Maybe Ferrari trusts how much their PU is making now and can go with what I am imaging is a much draggier concept. Or maybe they are struggling some with cooling.

AT and RBR, based on the spy photos, look to be using a concept like Merc / Mclaren / Williams. That would suggest like Merc, Honda has been able to shrink the packaging and work on cooling efficiency.

Renault is the real wild card.

User avatar
AeroDynamic
349
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:25 am
Location: La règle du jeu

Re: 2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Post

Hoffman900 wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:07 pm
So far:

Merc / Mclaren / Williams using a tight, centerline cooling concept. Aston Martin in a totally different direction, but if the rumor of Dan Fallows (I give 5% credibility to rumors) isn't happy, that provide some clues.

Ferrari / Haas / Alfa Romeo, not nearly as tight as packaging. Big side pods with varying degrees of undercut. Maybe Ferrari trusts how much their PU is making now and can go with what I am imaging is a much draggier concept. Or maybe they are struggling some with cooling.

AT and RBR, based on the spy photos, look to be using a concept like Merc / Mclaren / Williams. That would suggest like Merc, Honda has been able to shrink the packaging and work on cooling efficiency.

Renault is the real wild card.
Mercedes dropped some video footage which shows the wake in motion.


Is it just me, or is the vapour diffusing relatively quickly to what we've seen before?
Last edited by AeroDynamic on Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hoffman900
Hoffman900
208
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:02 am

Re: 2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Post

AeroDynamic wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:55 pm
Hoffman900 wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:07 pm
So far:

Merc / Mclaren / Williams using a tight, centerline cooling concept. Aston Martin in a totally different direction, but if the rumor of Dan Fallows (I give 5% credibility to rumors) isn't happy, that provide some clues.

Ferrari / Haas / Alfa Romeo, not nearly as tight as packaging. Big side pods with varying degrees of undercut. Maybe Ferrari trusts how much their PU is making now and can go with what I am imaging is a much draggier concept. Or maybe they are struggling some with cooling.

AT and RBR, based on the spy photos, look to be using a concept like Merc / Mclaren / Williams. That would suggest like Merc, Honda has been able to shrink the packaging and work on cooling efficiency.

Renault is the real wild card.
Mercedes dropped some video footage which shows the wake in motion.

It shows some things, but the weight of water makes it hard to see anything useful.

User avatar
dans79
267
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:33 pm
Location: USA

Re: 2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Post

Hoffman900 wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:01 pm
AeroDynamic wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:55 pm
Hoffman900 wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:07 pm
So far:

Merc / Mclaren / Williams using a tight, centerline cooling concept. Aston Martin in a totally different direction, but if the rumor of Dan Fallows (I give 5% credibility to rumors) isn't happy, that provide some clues.

Ferrari / Haas / Alfa Romeo, not nearly as tight as packaging. Big side pods with varying degrees of undercut. Maybe Ferrari trusts how much their PU is making now and can go with what I am imaging is a much draggier concept. Or maybe they are struggling some with cooling.

AT and RBR, based on the spy photos, look to be using a concept like Merc / Mclaren / Williams. That would suggest like Merc, Honda has been able to shrink the packaging and work on cooling efficiency.

Renault is the real wild card.
Mercedes dropped some video footage which shows the wake in motion.

It shows some things, but the weight of water makes it hard to see anything useful.
Not to mention that it was smartphone footage that was then butchered even more by twitter!
200 104 104 9 9 7

User avatar
jjn9128
778
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 10:53 pm

Re: 2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Post

AeroDynamic wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:55 pm
Mercedes dropped some video footage which shows the wake in motion.


Is it just me, or is the vapour diffusing relatively quickly to what we've seen before?
Difficult to tell how comparatively wet it is - the high wind will also probably disperse the water in the air faster
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Henri
Henri
-6
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:58 am

Re: 2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Post

jjn9128 wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:53 pm
AeroDynamic wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:55 pm
Mercedes dropped some video footage which shows the wake in motion.


Is it just me, or is the vapour diffusing relatively quickly to what we've seen before?
Difficult to tell how comparatively wet it is - the high wind will also probably disperse the water in the air faster
Do you have an idea how much more powerful is the ground effect compared to last years cars in cfd ?

User avatar
jjn9128
778
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 10:53 pm

Re: 2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Post

Henri wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:31 pm
Do you have an idea how much more powerful is the ground effect compared to last years cars in cfd ?
There is not more ground effect - just utilized differently.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

User avatar
AeroDynamic
349
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:25 am
Location: La règle du jeu

Re: 2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Post

dans79 wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:03 pm
Hoffman900 wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:01 pm
AeroDynamic wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:55 pm


Mercedes dropped some video footage which shows the wake in motion.

It shows some things, but the weight of water makes it hard to see anything useful.
Not to mention that it was smartphone footage that was then butchered even more by twitter!
how about goPro 1080p? :mrgreen:

These are onboard and off board, in the wet an dry with Hamilton and Russell in the W13

Russell (Check 1:35+)


Hamilton – In more dried conditions of Silverstone (1:01+)

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
557
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: 2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Post

Here is are some vortices you can see clearer..
The rear wing has a more stronger vortex generation because of its size and pressure difference across its sharp edges.
At the core of the vortex also is a higher sheer rate so it can move those finer water droplets now...

Go to 1:55 in the video.

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Hoffman900
Hoffman900
208
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:02 am

Re: 2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Post

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:37 pm
Here is are some vortices you can see clearer..
The rear wing has a more stronger vortex generation because of its size and pressure difference across its sharp edges.
At the core of the vortex also is a higher sheer rate so it can move those finer water droplets now...

Go to 1:55 in the video.

https://streamable.com/g8mypx
I think 2:44 shows more.

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato
1
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:03 pm

Re: 2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Post

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:37 pm
Here is are some vortices you can see clearer..
The rear wing has a more stronger vortex generation because of its size and pressure difference across its sharp edges.
At the core of the vortex also is a higher sheer rate so it can move those finer water droplets now...

Go to 1:55 in the video.

https://streamable.com/g8mypx
Look at the thumbnail picture there. It’s like the sidepods have just been completely removed. Amazing packaging.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton
24
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:16 pm

Re: 2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Post

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:37 pm
Here is are some vortices you can see clearer..
The rear wing has a more stronger vortex generation because of its size and pressure difference across its sharp edges.
At the core of the vortex also is a higher sheer rate so it can move those finer water droplets now...

Go to 1:55 in the video.

https://streamable.com/g8mypx
Dont think you're really seeing vortices there, well i certainly cant anyway, just a general wake

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
557
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: 2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Post

Mchamilton wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:58 pm
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:37 pm
Here is are some vortices you can see clearer..
The rear wing has a more stronger vortex generation because of its size and pressure difference across its sharp edges.
At the core of the vortex also is a higher sheer rate so it can move those finer water droplets now...

Go to 1:55 in the video.

https://streamable.com/g8mypx
Dont think you're really seeing vortices there, well i certainly cant anyway, just a general wake
This is as good as it's gonna get with water spray...

Image
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

dxpetrov
dxpetrov
-7
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 2:39 pm

Re: 2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Post

Probably it has been discussed before, apologies for that, but do we know what happens to rear wings during the season? Do they stay the same specs irrespective of downforce level requirements of different tracks?

User avatar
jjn9128
778
Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 10:53 pm

Re: 2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Post

dxpetrov wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:58 am
Probably it has been discussed before, apologies for that, but do we know what happens to rear wings during the season? Do they stay the same specs irrespective of downforce level requirements of different tracks?
No you can change wings - but what is presented for scrutineering has to be carried through a race - so no DF level changes after Friday AM.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica