2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Hoffman900

Re: 2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

So far:

Merc / Mclaren / Williams using a tight, centerline cooling concept. Aston Martin in a totally different direction, but if the rumor of Dan Fallows (I give 5% credibility to rumors) isn't happy, that provide some clues.

Ferrari / Haas / Alfa Romeo, not nearly as tight as packaging. Big side pods with varying degrees of undercut. Maybe Ferrari trusts how much their PU is making now and can go with what I am imaging is a much draggier concept. Or maybe they are struggling some with cooling.

AT and RBR, based on the spy photos, look to be using a concept like Merc / Mclaren / Williams. That would suggest like Merc, Honda has been able to shrink the packaging and work on cooling efficiency.

Renault is the real wild card.

AeroDynamic

Hoffman900 wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 17:07
So far:

Merc / Mclaren / Williams using a tight, centerline cooling concept. Aston Martin in a totally different direction, but if the rumor of Dan Fallows (I give 5% credibility to rumors) isn't happy, that provide some clues.

Ferrari / Haas / Alfa Romeo, not nearly as tight as packaging. Big side pods with varying degrees of undercut. Maybe Ferrari trusts how much their PU is making now and can go with what I am imaging is a much draggier concept. Or maybe they are struggling some with cooling.

AT and RBR, based on the spy photos, look to be using a concept like Merc / Mclaren / Williams. That would suggest like Merc, Honda has been able to shrink the packaging and work on cooling efficiency.

Mercedes dropped some video footage which shows the wake in motion.

Is it just me, or is the vapour diffusing relatively quickly to what we've seen before?
Last edited by AeroDynamic on 18 Feb 2022, 18:03, edited 1 time in total.

Hoffman900

AeroDynamic wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 17:55
Hoffman900 wrote:
So far:

It shows some things, but the weight of water makes it hard to see anything useful.

dans79

Hoffman900 wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 18:01
AeroDynamic wrote:
Hoffman900 wrote:
So far:

It shows some things, but the weight of water makes it hard to see anything useful.
Not to mention that it was smartphone footage that was then butchered even more by twitter!
197 104 103 7

jjn9128

AeroDynamic wrote:

Is it just me, or is the vapour diffusing relatively quickly to what we've seen before?
Difficult to tell how comparatively wet it is - the high wind will also probably disperse the water in the air faster
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Henri

jjn9128 wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 18:53
AeroDynamic wrote:

Difficult to tell how comparatively wet it is - the high wind will also probably disperse the water in the air faster
Do you have an idea how much more powerful is the ground effect compared to last years cars in cfd ?

jjn9128

Henri wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 20:31
Do you have an idea how much more powerful is the ground effect compared to last years cars in cfd ?
There is not more ground effect - just utilized differently.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

AeroDynamic

dans79 wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 18:03
Hoffman900 wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 18:01
AeroDynamic wrote:

Not to mention that it was smartphone footage that was then butchered even more by twitter!
how about goPro 1080p? :mrgreen:

These are onboard and off board, in the wet an dry with Hamilton and Russell in the W13

Russell (Check 1:35+)

Hamilton – In more dried conditions of Silverstone (1:01+)

PlatinumZealot

Here is are some vortices you can see clearer..
The rear wing has a more stronger vortex generation because of its size and pressure difference across its sharp edges.
At the core of the vortex also is a higher sheer rate so it can move those finer water droplets now...

Go to 1:55 in the video.

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Hoffman900

PlatinumZealot wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 17:37
The rear wing has a more stronger vortex generation because of its size and pressure difference across its sharp edges.
At the core of the vortex also is a higher sheer rate so it can move those finer water droplets now...

https://streamable.com/g8mypx
I think 2:44 shows more.

Tvetovnato

PlatinumZealot wrote:

Look at the thumbnail picture there. It’s like the sidepods have just been completely removed. Amazing packaging.

Mchamilton

PlatinumZealot wrote:

Dont think you're really seeing vortices there, well i certainly cant anyway, just a general wake

PlatinumZealot

Mchamilton wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 18:58
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Dont think you're really seeing vortices there, well i certainly cant anyway, just a general wake
This is as good as it's gonna get with water spray...

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

dxpetrov

Probably it has been discussed before, apologies for that, but do we know what happens to rear wings during the season? Do they stay the same specs irrespective of downforce level requirements of different tracks?

jjn9128

dxpetrov wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 11:58
Probably it has been discussed before, apologies for that, but do we know what happens to rear wings during the season? Do they stay the same specs irrespective of downforce level requirements of different tracks?
No you can change wings - but what is presented for scrutineering has to be carried through a race - so no DF level changes after Friday AM.
#aerogandalf