Red Bull RB18 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bucker

Re: Red Bull RB18 Speculation Thread

f1316 wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 02:03
If what’s shown is indeed a t-wing - and tbh, I think it might be - it’ll only be as important as the old t-wings were (ie a little bit but far from essential and often not even run depending on the circuit). Maybe with these rear wings it has a bit more value but not a game changer.

It’s also highly copyable, so I suppose - if RB are the only ones who spotted the loophole - it makes sense that they don’t want others to see it until absolutely necessary (even if it is only a small advantage, they’ll take that wherever they can).
I don't think so. Because we have very powerful floors this years it might be, that this device works with upper surface of diffuser or with beam wing, which helps with dlownof under floor.

FittingMechanics

f1316 wrote:
If what’s shown is indeed a t-wing - and tbh, I think it might be - it’ll only be as important as the old t-wings were (ie a little bit but far from essential and often not even run depending on the circuit). Maybe with these rear wings it has a bit more value but not a game changer.

It’s also highly copyable, so I suppose - if RB are the only ones who spotted the loophole - it makes sense that they don’t want others to see it until absolutely necessary (even if it is only a small advantage, they’ll take that wherever they can).
Where is this t-wing? What color is it? If the pictures are to be trusted, this t-wing changes colors and shapes depending on which low quality image you look at. I'm sure that this is just an artifact of the low quality images we used - if you look at this image which is relatively clear, you can see no such wing but there is a slight sharkfin which is what confuses people.

marcel171281

There won't be a T-wing. Why would RB have a controversial piece on the car for a shakedown, which is super simple to bold on and off. Wouldn't they keep that hidden till the last moment?

It is all just blurriness on the pictures IMHO.

The most intriguing parts are the front suspension geometry and the sidepods.
The latter still guess work, but the impression is that it is a piece of art. The front suspension is mostly visible on the pictures and is something special.

Just_a_fan

Looks like Red Bull have done the same as Mercedes and made the outer turning vane in to a bargeboard. Both designs have a tall panel where others just have a small vane.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

tmoneyr007

marcel171281 wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 11:15
There won't be a T-wing. Why would RB have a controversial piece on the car for a shakedown, which is super simple to bold on and off. Wouldn't they keep that hidden till the last moment?

The latter still guess work, but the impression is that it is a piece of art. The front suspension is mostly visible on the pictures and is something special.
https://flic.kr/p/2n4EjRS

the EDGE

tmoneyr007 wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 18:10
marcel171281 wrote:

that could quite easily be a shark fin with a camera attached

f1316

FittingMechanics wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 09:22
f1316 wrote:

Where is this t-wing? What color is it? If the pictures are to be trusted, this t-wing changes colors and shapes depending on which low quality image you look at. I'm sure that this is just an artifact of the low quality images we used - if you look at this image which is relatively clear, you can see no such wing but there is a slight sharkfin which is what confuses people.

https://i.imgur.com/jQAJK09.jpg
If it does exist - and by no means am I saying it does, just that from the (very bad) images we have, I think there might well be something there - then it appears to be a small piece of black bodywork.

So the image you have chosen is not a great one for that given there’s a likelihood that any black would be obscured by the black of the rear wing.

RZS10

Aren't almost all of those '''high quality''' images/videos just upscaled versions of the potato quality ones? The algorithms could easily introduce elements which aren't really there ...

PlatinumZealot

They really have gone too far with that floor interpretation have they? Fashioning a barge board and a massive one at that might attract the attention if Ross Brawn and his scissors...
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ojir19

tmoneyr007 wrote:
marcel171281 wrote:

there was something like this
okhörosinc bandhi-bandhi, mœnoghujlu sil ɥmhpleöng, kêmphád chømu kwærthwono

Roostfactor

PlatinumZealot wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 06:09
They really have gone too far with that floor interpretation have they? Fashioning a barge board and a massive one at that might attract the attention if Ross Brawn and his scissors...
Well I'm sure whatever they have done fits in the new legality box so?

We don't even know what the car actually looks like yet to come to that conclusion unless there are new images I haven't seen.

You trying to stir the pot here?

Curbstone

tmoneyr007 wrote:
marcel171281 wrote:

Still the quality is so poor, you cannot even see the rear wing pillar. That is, if RB has a conventional pillar, it's not visible.
Is it Wednesday already..?

PlatinumZealot

PlatinumZealot wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 06:09
Somebody down-voted me, and this was there explanation

All cars have been approved by FIA. You know this, was posted in multiple threads.
You make an interesting argument. When you say all cars approved? Please be specific. Crash structures, the engine? Every single part? And ask yourself why have scrutineering then?

Obviously this ideal approval that you speak does not exist. Parts don't have to be approved for a team to use them. It is in their best interest to follow the rules, of course, because they will be penalized, but teams have brought parts to races that were caught by scrutineering or by other teams. Cars have thousands of parts. Look at Ferrari's ill fated fuel system. That was a tip from another team to the FIA. Sauber brought wings whose surface were to small in curvature, caught in scrutineering. Racing Point had a hole in the up-right for aerodynamic purposes that had to be covered up. etc. etc. So many recent examples.

And another thing too, cars aero don't have to be legal for testing reasons. We may see quite a number of protests during the testing period and especially in the first race.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

dren

Notable design features on the RB18:

Car has a front wing
Car has a rear wing
Car appears to have 4 wheels and tires
Car has side pods shaped in such a manner that they ingest air
Honda!

cooken

dren wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 19:18
Notable design features on the RB18:

Car has a front wing
Car has a rear wing
Car appears to have 4 wheels and tires
Car has side pods shaped in such a manner that they ingest air
This is the only reasonable post made in here recently. A healthy dose of perspective.