Red Bull RB18

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
NicoS

Re: Red Bull RB18

This beam wing is like a secondary diffuser. It would be interesting if someone can run CFD simulation to see how it helps extract air from main diffuser

ojir19

west52keep64 wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 10:50
The undercut of the sidepods looks more extreme than it is because of the "scoop" structure and also because they've applied a reflective coating on the underside of the sidepods which is reflecting the track.

The "icecream sandwich" arrangement of the tunnel strakes is an interesting interpretation, you can kind of see how that could be generating a vortex that runs down the side of the car.

Hiding the car this long seems to have back fired, it's now the car every photographer is trying to get pictures of!
other teams engineers are bookmarking this thread :lol:
okhörosinc bandhi-bandhi, mœnoghujlu sil ɥmhpleöng, kêmphád chømu kwærthwono

AeroDynamic

before posting images, check if its already posted. Some images are being reposting more than once guys

west52keep64

Peter Ian Staker wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 10:51
Is that sidepod scoop even legal? Does it fit inside the legality box?
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FMRETa0WUAE ... name=large
We need an overhead shot to try and confirm, but it does appear to be in roughly the right place.

DAMNINice

Can anyone enlighten me where in their packaging (and non existant bodywork) the seide Crash structure pylons sit?
Them must be very high up but their sidepod is also very narrow.

I'm a bit puzzled.
REal men play with twins!

Quantum

The undercut seems false economy to me when the midsection goes out so wide.
The sloping top section of the side pod is the focus, as the angle of the lower portion of the pod below the intake is angled much like a second barge board.

Severe undercuts in previous years was for getting a cleaner flow on the floor top section. This appears to be a secondary outwash manipulation flow from front of the floor.
The midsection is very bulky, as it goes wide at the hips. Which makes the "Side pod undercut" not the charged coke bottle flow that teams like Merc are attempting.
"Interplay of triads"

ojir19

DAMNINice wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 10:56
Can anyone enlighten me where in their packaging (and non existant bodywork) the seide Crash structure pylons sit?
Them must be very high up but their sidepod is also very narrow.

I'm a bit puzzled.
my guess
okhörosinc bandhi-bandhi, mœnoghujlu sil ɥmhpleöng, kêmphád chømu kwærthwono

west52keep64

ojir19 wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 11:00
my guess
You can also see those sharp corners on the trailing edge of the floor strakes, clearly using those to generate vortices, and with the way the strakes are arranged they could be quite powerful vortices.

CEPAT

Looks awesome

Just_a_fan

Quantum wrote:
The sloping top section of the side pod is the focus, as the angle of the lower portion of the pod below the intake is angled much like a second barge board.

Severe undercuts in previous years was for getting a cleaner flow on the floor top section. This appears to be a secondary outwash manipulation flow from front of the floor.
The midsection is very bulky, as it goes wide at the hips. Which makes the "Side pod undercut" not the charged coke bottle flow that teams like Merc are attempting.
They are using the undercut and wide sidepod to push air outwards and so push the front tyre wake outwards. They're attempting to undo what the new rules are in place to do.
Last edited by Just_a_fan on 23 Feb 2022, 11:05, edited 1 time in total.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

AeroDynamic

has any other car done this? twin-layer not-a-bargeboard??
I noticed from some of the overhead angles, these bargeboards appear to be very big and long, in really close proximity to the Front Wheels.

carisi2k

Mercedes have the exact same philosophy and so they will be protesting themselves.

NicoS

Quantum wrote:

They have beam wing now, so maybe flow over floor and diffuser is not so important now.
better to manage flow slightly higher up in line with beam wing, gradual sloping sidepod used to manage flow better to beam wing?
maybe some CFD analysis van be done?

Bernie's Mistress

By arranging the undercut this way isn't RB attempting to move the centre of effort of the outwash from the sidepods rearward (ie where the tunnel venturi's are doing most of their work). The outwash from the side pod, lowers pressure and energises the floor in the same way the diffuser does as the rear (but to a lesser extent).

All the teams seem to be focusing on this to varying degrees.

AeroDynamic

Last edited by AeroDynamic on 23 Feb 2022, 11:07, edited 1 time in total.