Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
johnny comelately

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

New Ferrari PU architecture:

I ask any of our Italian speaking friends:
Is there anything new in this review other than the splitting of the turbo.

In the 3D dynamic modelling why is the valve actuation shown that way?

PlatinumZealot

They graphics show a divorced compressor and turbocharger for sure. It would be great to confirm with photos of the real thing.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

saviour stivala

Chrono GP apart from what their FERRARI 066/7 rendering shows claims the following. Separation of compressor and MGU-H from TURBINE, also claiming turbo (turbine – MGU-H – compressor) has been lowered and moved forward 4 cm. also claiming smaller turbine and compressor impellors. Also claiming MGU-H – battery – control unit – inverter have been reorganized and optimized with a smaller footprint.

S E C T I O

johnny comelately wrote:
04 Mar 2022, 23:58
New Ferrari PU architecture:

I ask any of our Italian speaking friends:
Is there anything new in this review other than the splitting of the turbo.

In the 3D dynamic modelling why is the valve actuation shown that way?
They say that the turbo has been splitted and that they have managed to reduce the length of the engine by 4 cm. I don't think they would make unverified claims,but anything is possible.Nothing else.
Dimenticavo:molto bella l'animazione in cui la F1-75 sembra un cane arrapato. :P
-§- Each section is wholeness. Oo==§==oO My english suck,sorry-§-

johnny comelately

"They say that the turbo has been splitted and that they have managed to reduce the length of the engine by 4 cm. I don't think they would make unverified claims,but anything is possible.Nothing else.
Dimenticavo:molto bella l'animazione in cui la F1-75 sembra un cane arrapato. :P
I know,my english suck,sorry."

Grazie molto, my Italian sucks, sorry :wink:

saviour stivala

While for sure the Chrono GP rendering depicting the FERRARI 066/7 engine is beautiful, it is their own rendering. And they did not claim or confirmed verification by FERRARI, And neither FERRARI confirmed any system shown as verified. One more or less solid claim hinted by FERRARI themselves as regards one of the new innovations of the 066/7 was that the compressor has been placed inside the air-box, while the Chrono GP rendering shows the compressor having been moved to the front outside of the engine. The Chrono GP rendering also depict/shows one waste-gate with exhaust intake direct from turbine housing and not from any of the two exhaust collectors from before turbine intake. Such a set-up while relieving exhaust gas pressure in both turbine housing and collector pipes, it will not render colector pipes and turbine housing exhauist gas pressure at atmospheric pressure.

GhostF1

GoranF1 wrote:
28 Feb 2022, 21:42
Not involved in this topic, but is it correct that Ferrari PU is only one whit non split turbo design, and is now most powerful?
Ferrari and Renault both look to of adopted the Split-Turbo layout with their new engines for 2022 (as run by both Honda & Mercedes). Pretty clear indication that split turbo is the way to go in that discussion. All four are now going that way.

As for power. Both Marko and Wolff are suggesting Ferrari's engine is currently looking like the leader. But they also say they can't tell anything from the first test.. so. :roll: . I think there's a bit of gamesmenship going on.
We know Renault are apparently running on reduced settings and are having sealing issues (reminiscent of Honda's 2017 issues), and Horner has now said Honda have a further re-design and are choosing to utilise every bit of available time before the designs are locked and are working around the clock to have it ready before the first race. So there's that as well.

Obviously we won't know anything concrete. But it'd be a stretch to say anyone knows who has the most powerful engine after three days of sedate testing. The entirety of the 2021 season was a debate whether it was Honda or Merc. Seemed to change from race to race. So after 3 days of unknown program running with new cars, no chance we'll know.

dialtone

GhostF1 wrote:
07 Mar 2022, 06:06
GoranF1 wrote:
28 Feb 2022, 21:42
Not involved in this topic, but is it correct that Ferrari PU is only one whit non split turbo design, and is now most powerful?
Ferrari and Renault both look to of adopted the Split-Turbo layout with their new engines for 2022 (as run by both Honda & Mercedes). Pretty clear indication that split turbo is the way to go in that discussion. All four are now going that way.

As for power. Both Marko and Wolff are suggesting Ferrari's engine is currently looking like the leader. But they also say they can't tell anything from the first test.. so. :roll: . I think there's a bit of gamesmenship going on.
We know Renault are apparently running on reduced settings and are having sealing issues (reminiscent of Honda's 2017 issues), and Horner has now said Honda have a further re-design and are choosing to utilise every bit of available time before the designs are locked and are working around the clock to have it ready before the first race. So there's that as well.

Obviously we won't know anything concrete. But it'd be a stretch to say anyone knows who has the most powerful engine after three days of sedate testing. The entirety of the 2021 season was a debate whether it was Honda or Merc. Seemed to change from race to race. So after 3 days of unknown program running with new cars, no chance we'll know.
AFAIK ICE homologation was March 1st, electric part will be fixed from Sept 1st. https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/the- ... t/7761818/. So whatever Honda has in store from now on has to be on the electric part because the other parts aren't modifiable any more. All engines are in their final configuration for the season in all likelihood and all ICE are what they are until 2026 now.

saviour stivala

While Alpine/Renault have ‘officially’ as a team not confirmed, but According to Jonathan Noble of motorsports. com ‘Rossi officially’ confirmed going the split-turbo way for 2022. I could not find any official confirmation by FERRARI or anybody claiming confirmation by FERRARI about them going the split-turbo route.

DinkLv

The official CAD model of the 2015 059/4 engine posted on Ferrari's YouTube channel:

Original video: (2:23)

saviour stivala

FERRARI 2015 059/4 was a big improvement on the 2014 059/3 which suffered from lack of recovery by MGU-H (little electric motor). With a bigger turbine that replaced the oil tank in the bell housing, also new lower positioned exhaust man-folding from heads to turbine with most of the collector also following the turbine inside gearbox bell housing.

lio007

by AMuS:

ryaan2904

Anyone else notice this strong electrical noise coming from the Ferrari PU this year? Starts fairly early (unlike 2018 when it came at the end of straights) and increases steadily
CFD Eyes of Sauron

jumpingfish

ryaan2904 wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 16:52
Anyone else notice this strong electrical noise coming from the Ferrari PU this year? Starts fairly early (unlike 2018 when it came at the end of straights) and increases steadily
I've noticed that as well, quite loud

SiLo

jumpingfish wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 17:29
ryaan2904 wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 16:52
I've noticed that as well, quite loud
Might come from shifting the compressor to the front of the engine along with moving the MGU-H forwards as well?
Felipe Baby!