2022 Winter Testing Part 2: Bahrain International Circuit 10-12th March

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
_cerber1

Re: 2022 Winter Testing Part 2: Bahrain International Circuit 10-12th March

Oehrly wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 19:54
Hi everybody, here's all lap times of today's test:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

(Note that I have this data be generated fully automatically. I currently don't have much time and I haven't done any manual validation. So if you spot any inconsistencies, please report them.)

For reference, all lap times of last year's Bahrain test:

Edit: feel free to share these
Thank you!
=D> =D> =D>

mclaren_mircea

Re: Mercedes W13

Very interesting...

hotlapmode
@hotlapmode
Mercedes 'sandbagged' heavily in the first day of testing, losing most of the time in the straights compared to Ferrari. The two cars have similar performances in the corners, but it's still early days.
Tomorrow expect the teams to push a little more

SiLo

Oehrly wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 19:54
Hi everybody, here's all lap times of today's test:

(Note that I have this data be generated fully automatically. I currently don't have much time and I haven't done any manual validation. So if you spot any inconsistencies, please report them.)

For reference, all lap times of last year's Bahrain test:

Edit: feel free to share these
Think this deservers a technical contribution upvote but sadly we can't do that here. This is very useful.
Felipe Baby!

AR3-GP

They showed Vettel coming up behind Hamilton while Hamilton was on a lap and the AM looked like it had 100hp more.

F1Fan2018

mclaren_mircea wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 20:18
Very interesting...

hotlapmode
@hotlapmode
Mercedes 'sandbagged' heavily in the first day of testing, losing most of the time in the straights compared to Ferrari. The two cars have similar performances in the corners, but it's still early days.
I noticed when watching sky coverage that Russel wasn't using DRS at all, this was one of his first runs today as it was early on in the afternoon session, that would be some of the time they lost but not sure if they did that all day as I only watched around half an hour. I think ferrari were using DRS but again not sure if they used it on every run.

shamyakovic

mclaren_mircea wrote:
Very interesting...

hotlapmode
@hotlapmode
Are we missing the bottom part of the telemetry? Can't see anything less than 240 kph

mclaren_mircea

shamyakovic wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 21:34
mclaren_mircea wrote:
Very interesting...

hotlapmode
@hotlapmode
Are we missing the bottom part of the telemetry? Can't see anything less than 240 kph
here it is

shamyakovic

mclaren_mircea wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 21:40
shamyakovic wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 21:34
mclaren_mircea wrote:
Very interesting...

hotlapmode
@hotlapmode
here it is
Thank you

McMika98

mclaren_mircea wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 21:31
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... UOXDV.html
Is it real?? I thought that there was no race simulation.
Absolute load of cobblers, what gobbledygook nonsense is this. Ferrari almost a second slower on race pace, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Face palm. Cant wait for Gary Anderson version of this.
The only true race sims was Sergio Perez and probably Albon. No-one else did long stint without DRS.

LM10

McMika98 wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 23:19
mclaren_mircea wrote:
Absolute load of cobblers, what gobbledygook nonsense is this. Ferrari almost a second slower on race pace, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Face palm. Cant wait for Gary Anderson version of this.
The only true race sims was Sergio Perez and probably Albon. No-one else did long stint without DRS.
Typical attention-seeking, totally amateurish journalism.

JPBD1990

Not drawing any conclusions lest I be beaten to a pulp - so simply, here is a comparison of gear ratios from twitter. I didn’t create the content, so consume and derive from it what you will.

As marge Simpson would say - I just think they’re neat!

dialtone

LM10 wrote:
11 Mar 2022, 01:31
McMika98 wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 23:19
mclaren_mircea wrote:
Typical attention-seeking, totally amateurish journalism.
I think that probably it comes from the F1 data science team from AWS and uses the same type of historical data where they attempt to draw conclusions (fuel loads and so on) based on past testing history rather than making any educated guesses. Same precision as when they try to predict the life left in the tires.

silver

It is very difficult to draw clear conclusions. Doing all kinds of assumptions and math using the stint data my take is Ferrari appears to be ahead of Mercedes with around half a second and Mercedes ahead of Red Bull by around 2 or 3 tenths. I may be completely wrong in that assessment. Based on historical data I believe Ferrari were running lighter compared to Mercedes and Red Bull which is also something I have considered in above opinion. Go easy on me. :)

Hamilton struggled all morning. Mercedes had trouble pushing the car but by the end of the day was in a happier place for long runs. It was still not great when pushed for single lap. Hamilton used slightly higher engine modes or may be lesser fuel I don't know. Russell used the same mode in the stints that I have picked. For the whole day they stuck with C3 compound.

Ferrari had even performance throughout the day on both longer runs and on single lap when pushed. For the most part Ferrari used C3 but also switched to C2 in between. Their engine mode was the same across the day which seems like it was one step higher than what Mercedes and Red Bull were using for stint runs. Unless their new engine is better than the others.

Red Bull kept alternating between some higher engine modes and slightly lower ones. Except for one single stint on mediums they kept using C2 and used C1 for the last part of the long stint.

I only used the lap times from the evening session as the cars were settling down and eliminated some odd laps in the stint.

Stint Averages
-----------------
Ferrari (C2) - 1:38.4xxx
Mercedes (C3) - 1:39.6xx
Red Bull (C2) - 1:40.1xx

Lap time data from @f1debrief

JPBD1990

Fantastic work Silver! Whether or not it’s perfect doesn’t matter - this is something great to pour over in the meantime. Really appreciate the effort!

Love when we can start talking about stint averages in a test season. All the usual caveats always apply - we don’t know fuel load, engine mode, gear ratios (a new one for me), what they’re trying to do on the stint, etc - but it HAS to be said that in general, average stint times do shuffle out in the wash and always tend to give the closest indication we can hope for.