Red Bull RB18

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PhillipM
PhillipM

Re: Red Bull RB18

warpomex wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 06:25
PhillipM wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 22:51
Why would you have any problem locking the suspension, that's exactly what's already done with snubbers :wtf:
Locking a suspension is a very bad thing and snubbers are a last resort. It's just so to minimize impact on the chassis from the suspension bottoming (badly).

A locked suspension is one that will not be ready to take the next bump and will likely bounce, lose traction and control.

Ideally, you want to use all of your suspension travel but not bottoming hard.
The plank is sat on the floor, I don't think sitting on rubber snubbers on the dampers would be worse than that.

Henri
Henri

The car looks and drives smooth.. newey and he's team did a great job

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

PhillipM wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 15:25
warpomex wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 06:25
PhillipM wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 22:51
Why would you have any problem locking the suspension, that's exactly what's already done with snubbers :wtf:
Locking a suspension is a very bad thing and snubbers are a last resort. It's just so to minimize impact on the chassis from the suspension bottoming (badly).

A locked suspension is one that will not be ready to take the next bump and will likely bounce, lose traction and control.

Ideally, you want to use all of your suspension travel but not bottoming hard.
The plank is sat on the floor, I don't think sitting on rubber snubbers on the dampers would be worse than that.
Even when the plank is sat on the ground, the wheels can accommodate additional compression due to positive gradient kerbing for example. That is not the case when sitting on the bump stop at the same ride height.

edit: bump/compression not rebound.

Track limit will be white lines this season, that means drivers will only use outside wheel on the kerbs which would be impossible if car is sitting on bump stop in fast corner.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 14 Mar 2022, 21:43, edited 2 times in total.

PhillipM
PhillipM

AR3-GP wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 20:21

Even when the plank is sat on the ground, the wheels can accommodate additional rebound due to positive gradient kerbing for example. That is not the case with a bump stop in the damper at the same ride height.

Track limit will be white lines this season, that means drivers will only use outside wheel on the kerbs which would be impossible if car is sitting on bump stop in fast corner.
Compression, not rebound. Bump snubbers would have no effect in rebound.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

PhillipM wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 21:36
AR3-GP wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 20:21

Even when the plank is sat on the ground, the wheels can accommodate additional rebound due to positive gradient kerbing for example. That is not the case with a bump stop in the damper at the same ride height.

Compression, not rebound. Bump snubbers would have no effect in rebound.
Yes that's what I meant, thank you.

Capharol
Capharol

just a dumb question.... can you put a small tunnel (gap of aprox. 2mm) to the floor so this way the air can still flow through to the back and stop the porpoising?

hope its understandable what i mean, i am bad at drawing so no other way to explain
Last edited by Capharol on 14 Mar 2022, 21:47, edited 1 time in total.

shamyakovic
shamyakovic

Capharol wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 21:44
just a dumb question.... can you put a small tunnel (gap op aprox. 2mm) to the floor so this way the air can still flow through to the back and stop the porpoising?

hope its understandable what i mean, i am bad at drawing so no other way to explain
I think mclaren has put such a hole on the rear diffuser opposite to the brake ducts

PlatinumZealot

Capharol wrote:
just a dumb question.... can you put a small tunnel (gap op aprox. 2mm) to the floor so this way the air can still flow through to the back and stop the porpoising?

A 2mm groove wont be enough.

There is already a big tunnel formed in the floor as you can see, so the floors cannot physically bottom out like a flat bottomed car. Air does still flow under them when they bottom. It's just that the teams want a certain pressure to be achieved and maintained instead of that sudden increase when it "chokes."

I think the width of the tunnel is restricted by the regulations, so teams have made those edge flaps to allow some relief when the car bottoms out. I am not sure how they work... But I suppose at a certain suction level further decrease is suction is capped, and air is allowed to escape/ more to enter? (i dont
Know yet) before/after the throat.

Think of it almost like a flywheel, expansion tank, or a band pass filter... You pay the expense of capping the maximum suction of the floor, but you now have a stable peak.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Capharol
Capharol

PlatinumZealot wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 21:55
Capharol wrote:

A 2mm groove wont be enough.

There is already a big tunnel formed in the floor as you can see, so the floors cannot physically bottom out like a flat bottomed car. Air does still flow under them when they bottom. It's just that the teams want a certain pressure to be achieved and maintained instead of that sudden increase when it "chokes."

I think the width of the tunnel is restricted by the regulations, so teams have made those edge flaps to allow some relief when the car bottoms out. I am not sure how they work... But I suppose at a certain suction level further decrease is suction is capped, and air is allowed to escape/ more to enter? (i dont
Know yet) before/after the throat.

Think of it almost like a flywheel, expansion tank, or a band pass filter... You pay the expense of capping the maximum suction of the floor, but you now have a stable peak.
thanks for the explanation

silver
silver

Image of the car from the last day of testing. As most commentators and writers have noted, Red Bull have added a bit of rake to the car.

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

I think that this was being discussed in this thread earlier.

SSScoffee
SSScoffee

"Red Bull: The team's engineers have prepared a rear suspension that changes behavior after 250 km / h to help eliminate porpoising. Verstappen will bring it to Bahrain GP, while Perez will probably have it from Saudi Arabia."

Stu

SSScoffee wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 20:31
"Red Bull: The team's engineers have prepared a rear suspension that changes behavior after 250 km / h to help eliminate porpoising. Verstappen will bring it to Bahrain GP, while Perez will probably have it from Saudi Arabia."

Genius! If only all cars had a suspension system that changed behaviour as more load is applied….
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Henk_v
Henk_v

Probably the same source as the mystery shakedowns with the remarkable front wing...fake...

NicoS

Henk_v wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 20:41
Probably the same source as the mystery shakedowns with the remarkable front wing...fake...
or the Sidepod less mercedes :?