2022 Winter Testing Part 2: Bahrain International Circuit 10-12th March

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
shamyakovic

Re: 2022 Winter Testing Part 2: Bahrain International Circuit 10-12th March

chrisc90 wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 22:02
shamyakovic wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 21:47
chrisc90 wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 21:43

Thing is teams self scrutineer themselves these days anyhow. So vastly 'pointless'. In a realistic world, there would be scrutineers looking over EVERY car. Not just the one they choose and never one of the others.
In testing there is no scrutineering, so teams can run various settings which are not legal. Thats why u see aero rakes on cars during testing and nothing similar on a race weekend.
So its pointless to see if a car is legal or not in testing.
Of course you can run whatever you want in testing. But my comment was based around race weekends.
My comment was based around the testing day in Bahrain when the front wing video of Merc was shown.
Hence my comment on "we may have to wait till race weekend"

chrisc90

shamyakovic wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 22:05
chrisc90 wrote:
shamyakovic wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 21:47

In testing there is no scrutineering, so teams can run various settings which are not legal. Thats why u see aero rakes on cars during testing and nothing similar on a race weekend.
So its pointless to see if a car is legal or not in testing.
Of course you can run whatever you want in testing. But my comment was based around race weekends.
My comment was based around the testing day in Bahrain when the front wing video of Merc was shown.
Most certainly we will have to see until the race weekend if the split wing is legal. But still gives a 'loophole' that the teams can self certify a car as legal - but actually isnt. This can/will have the biggest impacts on race weekends. Teams could just run an illegal part every other week or something and hope they dont get found out.

In a championship with the amount of money and things at stake - its odd that cars arent fully scrutinised - except for a few checks that get done on all cars.

shamyakovic

chrisc90 wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 22:10
shamyakovic wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

Most certainly we will have to see until the race weekend if the split wing is legal. But still gives a 'loophole' that the teams can self certify a car as legal - but actually isnt. This can/will have the biggest impacts on race weekends. Teams could just run an illegal part every other week or something and hope they dont get found out.

In a championship with the amount of money and things at stake - its odd that cars arent fully scrutinised - except for a few checks that get done on all cars.
Where does it say that the teams can self-certify their car as legal in a race weekend? and bypass scrutineering?? :wtf:

chrisc90

shamyakovic wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 22:13
chrisc90 wrote:
shamyakovic wrote:

Where does it say that the teams can self-certify their car as legal in a race weekend? and bypass scrutineering?? :wtf:
Sporting Regs Chapter 25.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... EcwsM.html

Also under Misc. at the very bottom

Self scrutiny has been around for ages....2019

Just_a_fan

Got to wonder if all this off topic nonsense would have been allowed if it was against another team...

This is the 2022 testing thread, people.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

AeroDynamic

chrisc90 wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 22:20
shamyakovic wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

Makes sense now why Horner was kicking up such a fuss about that phantom wing bend - wanted to get a random FIA check? If he’s wrong he’s wrong, not much to lose. But they didn’t find anything. Continued to whine, and even with an invented FIA special check a race later, nothing found. So we’re gonna hear more of this type of whining from teams this season.

shamyakovic

chrisc90 wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 22:20
shamyakovic wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

Ok I may have missed that but you do know that they select random cars at every race to check everything...its the same as weight checking during sessions. Hence I don't see any problem for it. Its the same for all cars.

chrisc90

Just_a_fan wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 22:26
Got to wonder if all this off topic nonsense would have been allowed if it was against another team...

This is the 2022 testing thread, people.
Fortunately...it applies to all teams on the grid, so pointless trying to twist about bias because a video of a merc wing was posted.

Oddly enough, it does apply to the testing thread as its a discussion on the part that was seen in testing.
Ok I may have missed that but you do know that they select random cars at every race to check everything...its the same as weight checking during sessions. Hence I don't see any problem for it. Its the same for all cars.
It is the same, but what im saying, is all cars should be subject to checks, not just selecting a random car.
Makes sense now why Horner was kicking up such a fuss about that phantom wing bend - wanted to get a random FIA check? If he’s wrong he’s wrong, not much to lose. But they didn’t find anything. Continued to whine, and even with an invented FIA special check a race later, nothing found. So we’re gonna hear more of this type of whining from teams this season.
Toto doesnt whine then does he not? Wasnt he the first one to whine about a red bull wing bending? Short memory span or just selective memory?

Anyhow, thats deviating from the thread which was a discussion about the merc front wing flexing....Checks are in place for the rear ones now in certain areas.

AeroDynamic

I generalised ‘teams will whine this season’ but since you want to draw a comparison, yes they whined about something that was factually evident on video and the FIA policed it.

Whiner was billowing smoke where there was no 🔥

Andres125sx

Gillian wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 13:07
Andres125sx wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 09:12
silver wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 06:07
When the visor goes down, the competitive instincts takes over. Everything else is for people to dissect and discuss.
Motivation is key on any competition, and while some people keep motivation up no matter what happened in the past, some others loose motivation when the goal has been achieved (becoming WDC). Ask Nico Rosberg or Kimi Raikonnen :wink:

Not saying that´s the case with Max, but it´s a posibility, we´ll find out soon tough
It's funny you mention Rosberg and Räikkönen. They both won a title without being the faster driver. IMO achieving the goal has nothing to do with their motivation.

Let me put it this way, had Rosberg been driving against someone else than Hamilton, would he have stopped in 2016? Pure conjecture but I think not. Winning the WDC wasn't a factor, driving against a faster/better driver was. He stopped because he knew he wasn't as good as Hamilton. Being the fastest, or believing you are, is a great motivator. Take that away and what's left...

That's why the discussion was futile last year and it still is this year. They're all motivated and believe they're the best. Doesn't matter how many WDC they have. If Verstappen gets beaten by another driver this year it was because the other guy was faster/better or/and had the better car/team. Not because he lost motivation.
Disagree, if that was the case none of them would have stopped racing just after winning the title, but some years earlier when they were beaten by their teammates

But it probably is a mix of both, they knew they were not the fastest, and once they won the title motivation went down as they knew it was going to be almost impossible to repeat, so they stopped racing

Gillian

Andres125sx wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 08:46
Gillian wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 13:07
Andres125sx wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 09:12

Motivation is key on any competition, and while some people keep motivation up no matter what happened in the past, some others loose motivation when the goal has been achieved (becoming WDC). Ask Nico Rosberg or Kimi Raikonnen :wink:

Not saying that´s the case with Max, but it´s a posibility, we´ll find out soon tough
It's funny you mention Rosberg and Räikkönen. They both won a title without being the faster driver. IMO achieving the goal has nothing to do with their motivation.

Let me put it this way, had Rosberg been driving against someone else than Hamilton, would he have stopped in 2016? Pure conjecture but I think not. Winning the WDC wasn't a factor, driving against a faster/better driver was. He stopped because he knew he wasn't as good as Hamilton. Being the fastest, or believing you are, is a great motivator. Take that away and what's left...

That's why the discussion was futile last year and it still is this year. They're all motivated and believe they're the best. Doesn't matter how many WDC they have. If Verstappen gets beaten by another driver this year it was because the other guy was faster/better or/and had the better car/team. Not because he lost motivation.
Disagree, if that was the case none of them would have stopped racing just after winning the title, but some years earlier when they were beaten by their teammates

But it probably is a mix of both, they knew they were not the fastest, and once they won the title motivation went down as they knew it was going to be almost impossible to repeat, so they stopped racing
Yes I agree with that.

silver

silver wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 11:10
Looking at that image it gives an impression that Mercedes car is carrying relatively more drag than other two despite having similar speeds (max/min) through corners. Ferrari is going with slightly lower power.

Anyone help understand if porpoising can have an effect on drag increasing/decreasing?
Well, Toto admitted after the qualifying that, Mercedes indeed carrying a lot of drag!