Ferrari F1-75

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
S D

Re: Ferrari F1-75

I have heard that the F1-75 tire wear is very good. Any insights on tire wear on both the performance runs and the long runs?

dialtone
dialtone

S D wrote:I have heard that the F1-75 tire wear is very good. Any insights on tire wear on both the performance runs and the long runs?
They basically did no representative long runs today so it’s quite hard to know…

Andi76
Andi76

There were some people talking about the air getting lazy when it exits the gills of the Ferrari sidepods, causing drag. I do not think so. I think Ferrari remembered the 1994 sidepods, designed with the solution and developement work done by Supermarine on the Spitfire's trade-mark cooler in mind.They look similar and i think they work like that :

Cool air is rushing into the small "letterbox"-opening of the radiator pod. Once inside, the air is instantly energised by radiator heat, expanding rapidly as the duct widens and reducing in density as it goes through the radiator core. Even more energised, it will stream out of the gills and the back of the pod pretty much at the same speed it had entered at the front, what means there is no system drag.

Thats how the Spitfires System worked, and how the 1994 Ferraris Sidepod design was intended to work. And i think the F1-75s System exactly works like that.

When the car was presented, Mattia Binotto mentioned the huge amount of work they put into the cooling system and how different it is. I also think the similarities to the 1994 inlets are not a coincident and and Ferrari remembered the "Zero-Drag"-Concept they tried almost 3 decades ago, and made it work.

What impresses me about the F1-75 is how good it looks on track. Compared to all the other cars it looks extremely well balanced. Only the Red Bull looks like it is as well balanced, as the F1-75.

Pany
Pany

I thinks is partly true, but the way it works is not so simple. At high speed there si an expansion phase after inlet and before radiator, for example. We should consider the working gonditions are extremely variable also

GrrG

pantherxxx
pantherxxx

Hats of to the engineers in Maranello. This car was fast from the beginning.

Andi76
Andi76

pantherxxx wrote:
19 Mar 2022, 18:22
Absolutely! Great work from Maranello! But i also have to mention Rory Byrne again, who advised the Design Team on a new car for the first time since 2008. His signature is everywhere on the car in my opinion and Rory having a bigger influence again - you notice that immediately. Not a coincident that the cars which were built/influenced by the two most sucessfull F1-Designers ever are in front.
Last edited by Andi76 on 19 Mar 2022, 21:03, edited 1 time in total.

f300v10
f300v10

But those huge sidepods must be draggy and slow right????

Seriously it’s great to see Ferrari get the new rules package right from the start. The car has looked balanced and drivable in every session since the start of testing, and now we know it also has good outright pace. Even better to see Ferrari powered cars all doing well given the engine freeze.

Henri
Henri

Andi76 wrote:
19 Mar 2022, 07:51
There were some people talking about the air getting lazy when it exits the gills of the Ferrari sidepods, causing drag. I do not think so. I think Ferrari remembered the 1994 sidepods, designed with the solution and developement work done by Supermarine on the Spitfire's trade-mark cooler in mind.They look similar and i think they work like that :

Cool air is rushing into the small "letterbox"-opening of the radiator pod. Once inside, the air is instantly energised by radiator heat, expanding rapidly as the duct widens and reducing in density as it goes through the radiator core. Even more energised, it will stream out of the gills and the back of the pod pretty much at the same speed it had entered at the front, what means there is no system drag.

Thats how the Spitfires System worked, and how the 1994 Ferraris Sidepod design was intended to work. And i think the F1-75s System exactly works like that.

When the car was presented, Mattia Binotto mentioned the huge amount of work they put into the cooling system and how different it is. I also think the similarities to the 1994 inlets are not a coincident and and Ferrari remembered the "Zero-Drag"-Concept they tried almost 3 decades ago, and made it work.

What impresses me about the F1-75 is how good it looks on track. Compared to all the other cars it looks extremely well balanced. Only the Red Bull looks like it is as well balanced, as the F1-75.
The sidepods are genius.. the car looks it has insane amounts of downforce

Henri
Henri

Congratulations ferrari hope they win tomorrow.the car looks so stable and smooth

Andi76
Andi76

f300v10 wrote:
19 Mar 2022, 18:57
But those huge sidepods must be draggy and slow right????

Seriously it’s great to see Ferrari get the new rules package right from the start. The car has looked balanced and drivable in every session since the start of testing, and now we know it also has good outright pace. Even better to see Ferrari powered cars all doing well given the engine freeze.
Obviously they are not slow. And also not draggy. There are CFD Simulations here which show that they are indeed "low drag" sidepods. You can have big sidepods which are less draggy and small sidepods which are draggy. On a F1 Car its about shape, managing vortices, airflow and how all the parts work together. Ferraris sidepods for example, probably keep the front-wheel wake away from the car in a better way than small sidepods. This reduces drag. But its all explained in the CFD Simulation about the F1-75 sidepods. Also a F1 Car is about trade-offs and compromises. You can have more drag at the sidepods for example, but less around the Roll-Hoop and Airbox(because you built the cooling system in a way to make the Roll-Hoop/Airbox smaller, but because of that you had to place more components into the sidepod area). If the effect is more downforce because you can get more air to the Rear-and Beamwing that also drives the floor and probably a lower centre of gravity - you made a good "trade-off" which could give you an advantage. But anyway - the sidepods are not draggy and obviously not slow at all.

LM10
LM10

Big Mangalhit wrote:
19 Mar 2022, 19:40
Andi76 wrote:
19 Mar 2022, 18:45
pantherxxx wrote:
19 Mar 2022, 18:22
Absolutely! Great work from Maranello! But i also have to mention Rory Byrne again, who advised the Design Team on a new car for the first time since the 2008. His signature is everywhere on the car in my opinion and Rory having a bigger influence again - you notice immediately. Not a coincident that the cars which were built/influenced by the two most sucessfull F1-Designers ever are in front. Byrne and Newey - the two geniuses are still the best!
Impressive how people always find a need to develop a cult of personality and try to put all the credit into one big name instead of the generally more efficient teamwork of thousands of names. Even in the history of science we tend to remember only the big names and forget the hours of work of students and other low paygrade workers that make it possible.
Newey still has a big effect I'm sure. That guy is a portable wind tunnel. He just stands in front of the car and stares at it for minutes, visualizing how the air flows.
Also, the fact that he literally still uses a pen and a paper, might be a kind of an advantage in times of limited CFD/wind tunnel/simulation/whatever times? Just some wild thought. :lol:

Timtim99
Timtim99

We should remember guys, the F1-75 is still a launch spec. They are few upgrades in the car, but nothing major. I believe the first major upgrade will be introduced in Australia.

So there is plenty more to come.

LM10
LM10

Timtim99 wrote:
19 Mar 2022, 20:14
We should remember guys, the F1-75 is still a launch spec. They are few upgrades in the car, but nothing major. I believe the first major upgrade will be introduced in Australia.

Actually they’ve had no upgrades besides the modified floor to solve the porpoising issue. A whole new floor as an upgrade will come in 4-5 races, was what was told.

General question: Do we know now if the diffuser actually was a new diffuser? It was not, right?

GrrG

LM10 wrote:
19 Mar 2022, 20:47
Timtim99 wrote:
19 Mar 2022, 20:14

Actually they’ve had no upgrades besides the modified floor to solve the porpoising issue. A whole new floor as an upgrade will come in 4-5 races, was what was told.

General question: Do we know now if the diffuser actually was a new diffuser? It was not, right?
It was the second specification first used on March 12 in the Barhain tests