Ferrari F1-75

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Andi76
Andi76

Re: Ferrari F1-75

LM10 wrote:
19 Mar 2022, 20:00
Big Mangalhit wrote:
19 Mar 2022, 19:40
Andi76 wrote:
19 Mar 2022, 18:45

Absolutely! Great work from Maranello! But i also have to mention Rory Byrne again, who advised the Design Team on a new car for the first time since the 2008. His signature is everywhere on the car in my opinion and Rory having a bigger influence again - you notice immediately. Not a coincident that the cars which were built/influenced by the two most sucessfull F1-Designers ever are in front. Byrne and Newey - the two geniuses are still the best!
Impressive how people always find a need to develop a cult of personality and try to put all the credit into one big name instead of the generally more efficient teamwork of thousands of names. Even in the history of science we tend to remember only the big names and forget the hours of work of students and other low paygrade workers that make it possible.
Newey still has a big effect I'm sure. That guy is a portable wind tunnel. He just stands in front of the car and stares at it for minutes, visualizing how the air flows.
Also, the fact that he literally still uses a pen and a paper, might be a kind of an advantage in times of limited CFD/wind tunnel/simulation/whatever times? Just some wild thought. :lol:
He has! Of course F1 is about teamwork. But if someone really believes that its a conicident that Williams stopped winning championships after Newey left and the team he went to(McLaren) suddenly started winning, he is wrong. The same with Brawn/Byrne. Benetton stopped fighting for titles, but the team they went to started winning titles...i could continue with Honda, Red Bull, Mercedes, but i do not think thats necessary. Of course the hours of work of lesser paygrade workers makes it possible, but its the technical management and leadership that makes the difference. They make all the things go in the right direction. They improve the teamwork, making sure everyone works in one direction, gets heard so that a "real team" develops and they decide where to go etc. If one calls that "developing a cult of personality" - fine. I can live with that. But its a fact that people like Newey, Brawn, Byrne, Costa, Allison(to name just a few) enjoyed such a sucess for a reason. And i do not think its wrong to give credit where credit is due. And i think as its not widely known that Rory Byrne had influence on the F1-75 - its just fair to emphasise that. And also that i do not think its a coincident that Ferrari suddenly is sucessfull again after Rory Byrne was involved in the design of a car...

Andi76
Andi76

Timtim99 wrote:
19 Mar 2022, 20:14
We should remember guys, the F1-75 is still a launch spec. They are few upgrades in the car, but nothing major. I believe the first major upgrade will be introduced in Australia.

So there is plenty more to come.
I think there is the need for plenty more to come. It was said that Ferrari is much closer to the weight limit. Red Bull should be 20 kgs overweight. They will loose weight rapidly i think and gain performance just because of that.

LM10
LM10

GrrG wrote:
19 Mar 2022, 21:15
LM10 wrote:
19 Mar 2022, 20:47
Timtim99 wrote:
We should remember guys, the F1-75 is still a launch spec. They are few upgrades in the car, but nothing major. I believe the first major upgrade will be introduced in Australia.

Actually they’ve had no upgrades besides the modified floor to solve the porpoising issue. A whole new floor as an upgrade will come in 4-5 races, was what was told.

General question: Do we know now if the diffuser actually was a new diffuser? It was not, right?
It was the second specification first used on March 12 in the Barhain tests
Oh true that, thank you.

Andi76 wrote:
19 Mar 2022, 21:56
Timtim99 wrote:

I think there is the need for plenty more to come. It was said that Ferrari is much closer to the weight limit. Red Bull should be 20 kgs overweight. They will loose weight rapidly i think and gain performance just because of that.
There must be a performance reason for RedBull to have built that overweight car. I don't think it's trivial to just lose weight and automatically gain lap time.

JPower
JPower

Andi76 wrote:
19 Mar 2022, 21:56
Timtim99 wrote:

10kg overweight for Red Bull. They lost 7-10 just recently.

Jakxy
Jakxy

From onboards:

*Ferrari selected shorter gear ratios as in testings. Leclerc hits 317 km/s and stays about 1.5-2 seconds.
*That causes bottleneck to the top speed at main straight on 317 km/s ( RB uses longer gear ratios , reaches 323-324 km/s )
*But it gives massive acceleration advantage with the help of New PU.

dialtone
dialtone

Jakxy wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 00:32
From onboards:

*Ferrari selected shorter gear ratios as in testings. Leclerc hits 317 km/s and stays about 1.5-2 seconds.
*That causes bottleneck to the top speed at main straight on 317 km/s ( RB uses longer gear ratios , reaches 323-324 km/s )
*But it gives massive acceleration advantage with the help of New PU.
I don't think some of those points are accurate, as I wrote in the other W13 thread.

This is T9 and T10. Ferrari has a clear acceleration advantage in both and is able to push the throttle down much earlier, so this points to both superior mechanical grip as well as likely more wing, which is something I would gather also from how much better LEC was in T6 for FP3 and Quali, as well as how much later LEC breaks but ends up reaching the same corner speed faster.

Regarding gear ratio and acceleration, Merc has even shorter gear ratio than Ferrari and a lot shorter than RBR, and yet they're not there.

Tomorrow's race will be interesting, LEC says that RBR is 0.2 ahead on race pace I think, will be interesting to see.

vorticism

𓄀

Schippke
Schippke

Sorry for not posting anything technical, but thank you for posting those images; There something beautiful about them and the flow this car has... particularly the ones looking back at the beam wing to the 'Eau Rouge/Raidillon' sidepods and the black/white shot looking over them with Charles at the wheel. 8)

Henri
Henri

Is the chief aero guy still david sanchez ?

Henri
Henri

Pure sex.. the designer needs an award.. the car reminds me of the f2008 with speed and beauty

Stu

Very choice shots, the b/w ones in particular!
Almost looks as though you can ‘see’ the airflow !!!
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

timoth
timoth

Henri wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 08:01
Is the chief aero guy still david sanchez ?
His official title is "Head of Vehicle Concept".

mzso
mzso

JPower wrote:
19 Mar 2022, 22:09
10kg overweight for Red Bull. They lost 7-10 just recently.
Do you have a crystal ball? Or is it you Adrien?

mzso
mzso

GrrG wrote:
19 Mar 2022, 16:11
Aero pipes? What the hell is that? I only see pipes with fluid in them. How a pipe would even function as an aeronautic device?

ryaan2904
ryaan2904

Is its good? Or normal??
CFD Eyes of Sauron