Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Mitch2.0

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

The way the split turbo was oversold by the media in 2014, as this absolute must have for a thermally efficient and powerful engine, has warped some people’s opinion hugely.

If they’d just said back then, “This is primarily for packaging purposes, and there are other small pros, and a few cons too.” Not only would it have been an more accurate statement, but the world wouldn’t have gone so barmy for it.

SSScoffee

Binotto says the new PU has not shown its true potential yet: "Last year we were 25hp down on the competition, we've tried calculating now based on inconclusive data: we're at the same level, maybe a little more. We are satisfied with what we have achieved."

saviour stivala

Mitch2.0 wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 03:07
The way the split turbo was oversold by the media in 2014, as this absolute must have for a thermally efficient and powerful engine, has warped some people’s opinion hugely.

If they’d just said back then, “This is primarily for packaging purposes, and there are other small pros, and a few cons too.” Not only would it have been an more accurate statement, but the world wouldn’t have gone so barmy for it.
Yes. The split turbo was oversold but to the media and not by the media. This by one of about three individuals fiercely competing with each other for pole position in the British F1 press. The one that sold this also sold the TGI combustion system with all of its contradictions as regards the rules stating ‘’direct injection’’. The problem is that all hell will get lose for any others that will not agree with what these F1 experts try to sell-out.

LM10

Do we know with certainty by now, if it's a split turbo or not?

mzso

LM10 wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 01:09
I saw no evidence of it.

LM10

mzso wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 10:28
LM10 wrote:
I saw no evidence of it.
Me neither yet. So that would put Ferrari into the position of being the only PU manufacturer with a traditional turbo-compressor placement. But let's wait for some more evidence.

ferkan

LM10 wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 10:38
mzso wrote:
LM10 wrote:
I saw no evidence of it.
Me neither yet. So that would put Ferrari into the position of being the only PU manufacturer with a traditional turbo-compressor placement. But let's wait for some more evidence.

Scarbs seem to think its split. Think they wouldnt say it officially either way, as it is admission of being wrong for 8 years ;)

NL_Fer

The top air-air intercooler, seems gone. That would suggest a split, with the front compressor using side or air-water intercoolers only.

mzso

ferkan wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 11:09
LM10 wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 10:38
mzso wrote:

I saw no evidence of it.

Scarbs seem to think its split. Think they wouldnt say it officially either way, as it is admission of being wrong for 8 years ;)
He also said there is no decisive photo in a later video. He just suspects it's a split turbo, from circumstantial evidence.

ryaan2904

NL_Fer wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 11:42
The top air-air intercooler, seems gone. That would suggest a split, with the front compressor using side or air-water intercoolers only.
Ferrari never had air-air intercooler??
CFD Eyes of Sauron

hurril

ryaan2904 wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 06:38
NL_Fer wrote:
They did have an extra one that was fed immediately after the compressor outlet. It was a triangularly shaped thing situated right above it [the turbo.]

ryaan2904

hurril wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 12:31
ryaan2904 wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 06:38
NL_Fer wrote:
They did have an extra one that was fed immediately after the compressor outlet. It was a triangularly shaped thing situated right above it [the turbo.]
That was the radiator, the only centerline piece of cooling they had.
CFD Eyes of Sauron

pantherxxx

Today’s edition of the Italian daily newspaper Corriere dello Sport highlighted that the Ferrari power unit has not yet shown its entire potential at the Bahrain Grand Prix last weekend: “In the first Grand Prix of the new season, the technicians from Maranello used the engine below its potential, so as not to approach in any way the limits of reliability before having well identified them. The power will be increased gradually in the following races, but not yet in the next weekend in Saudi Arabia – and it is likely that the second power unit of the year will be able to debut in four or five races, once reliability has been secured with a specific evolution of the engine” – Corriere dello Sport informs.

mzso

pantherxxx wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 17:18
and it is likely that the second power unit of the year will be able to debut in four or five races, once reliability has been secured with a specific evolution of the engine”
That's a tad outlandish because of the engine freeze. It would require them planning on submitting data to the FIA and the other teams on a reliability update, which might ultimately be denied as far as I know.

LM10

mzso wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 18:56
pantherxxx wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 17:18
and it is likely that the second power unit of the year will be able to debut in four or five races, once reliability has been secured with a specific evolution of the engine”
That's a tad outlandish because of the engine freeze. It would require them planning on submitting data to the FIA and the other teams on a reliability update, which might ultimately be denied as far as I know.
I don't think that the idea behind asking all teams before bringing reliability upgrades is to ask for their permission. If so, of course all of them will at all times say no, in order to prevent the opponents to get more competitive.

I'd imagine it's rather to inform them and make sure that the said upgrade actually is meant for reliability reasons. If in the opinion of the teams the upgrade is more of a performance one rather than reliability, they must argue that and then say that they're not agreeing with the upgrade. At least that's how I think the process would more or less look like.