Ferrari F1-75

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
vorticism

Re: Ferrari F1-75

GhostF1 wrote:
23 Mar 2022, 03:07
Ferrari look to be running the most downforce and yet are still fast on the straights. It implies they have a strong PU.
Could this also imply their sidepods and airbox are lower drag? Which may allow running more RW. By the same token, their corner floor strakes/barge boards are much smaller than Merc and RB.

AR3-GP wrote:
23 Mar 2022, 02:41
Is there anything unique about the Ferrari rear suspension this season?
--->
vorticism wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 23:52
Lower arm has the diagonal member rearward. Is that noteworthy?
https://www.bignews24.it/wp-content/upl ... kXojk.jpeg
𓄀

wowgr8
wowgr8

vorticism wrote:
23 Mar 2022, 03:54
GhostF1 wrote:
23 Mar 2022, 03:07
Ferrari look to be running the most downforce and yet are still fast on the straights. It implies they have a strong PU.
this also imply their sidepods and airbox are lower drag? Which may allow running more RW. By the same token, their corner floor strakes/barge boards are much smaller than Merc and RB.
RE the first quote, I do not think they're running the most downforce, their wing looks medium downforce to me, Mercedes wing is clearly max downforce

As for the airbox, the Ferrari airbox is slender and as low down as possible, this makes it so for the same level of rear wing their wing produces more downforce, might be why they've stuck with the spoon config the entire time and haven't even touched the huge Mercedes wing

matteosc
matteosc

wowgr8 wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 22:55
matteosc wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 22:39
They should also introduce a new specification with the next engine (in race 4-5, so earlier than normal) with changes for reliability purposes that will allow for more power.
Where'd you read this?
Here is the source. Translating only the part I referred to:

In the first GP Maranello's technicians used the engine below its potential, in order not to get anywhere close to the reliability limits before precisely understand them. The power will be gradually increased in the next GPs - not in the next weekend in Saudi Arabia yet - and it is likely that the second power unit of the year will debut in four or five races already, once reliability is addressed with a specific evolution.

Vanja #66

Thats not a new specification, ICE is frozen. Article states they will turn the ICE up fully with the second unit, not that they will have a new spec eith second ICE.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

matteosc
matteosc

Vanja #66 wrote:
23 Mar 2022, 15:23
Thats not a new specification, ICE is frozen. Article states they will turn the ICE up fully with the second unit, not that they will have a new spec eith second ICE.
ICE can be modified for reliability reason. The source specifically says "evolution" for the second unit, which means a new spec. The "turning up" refers to the first unit in the following races.

Whether this will happen or not I cannot tell, but it can be done. I think we will see a lot of modification to ICE for reliability reasons that will be used to "unlock" power, from all engine manufacturers.

Edit: I checked again the article and I am confident that my translation is correct.

Vanja #66

matteosc wrote:
23 Mar 2022, 15:28
ICE can be modified for reliability reason. The source specifically says "evolution" for the second unit, which means a new spec. The "turning up" refers to the first unit in the following races.

Whether this will happen or not I cannot tell, but it can be done. I think we will see a lot of modification to ICE for reliability reasons that will be used to "unlock" power, from all engine manufacturers.

Edit: I checked again the article and I am confident that my translation is correct.
Ah, ok, missed the evolution mentioned... Somehow, for me its hard to expect the FIA will accept "reliability" improvements so easy. But who knows in the end, FOM and FIA seem to have made/forced the communication with teams be much more open, so these gray areas might have already been agreed. Still, I doubt it was as simple as "our engine can go up to 1100-1200HP, but we will have a reliability upgrade so we cold reach that" :lol:
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Stu

Vanja #66 wrote:
When they’ve committed to regulations that mean the engines should last for 7.3 races, running them as ‘easy’ as possible seems the most sensible course of action.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

Stu wrote:
23 Mar 2022, 15:38
Vanja #66 wrote:
When they’ve committed to regulations that mean the engines should last for 7.3 races, running them as ‘easy’ as possible seems the most sensible course of action.
This.

These regulations mean we’ll never see them all in except for very rare occasions, and thus looking at trap speeds will always be misleading of true potential because it only has to be turned up ‘just enough’.

Andi76
Andi76

Just read that the new engine has a new intercooler-technology but the biggest advance must be a super-fast ignition with a more turbulent intake-mixture which allows the flame to spread to the edges of the combustion camber more quickly. Greater adavantages can be taken by the 500 bar fuel pressure. And it is the word Ferrari still does not use a split turbo.

matteosc
matteosc

Vanja #66 wrote:
23 Mar 2022, 15:35
matteosc wrote:

Ah, ok, missed the evolution mentioned... Somehow, for me its hard to expect the FIA will accept "reliability" improvements so easy. But who knows in the end, FOM and FIA seem to have made/forced the communication with teams be much more open, so these gray areas might have already been agreed. Still, I doubt it was as simple as "our engine can go up to 1100-1200HP, but we will have a reliability upgrade so we cold reach that" :lol:
Yes, I agree with your point, but if I remember correctly, in the "frozen" V8 era there was a significant power increase and general improvement thanks to these "reliability" modifications. I personally expect all engine to unlock some potential with this method.

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

matteosc wrote:
23 Mar 2022, 15:42
Vanja #66 wrote:
23 Mar 2022, 15:35
matteosc wrote:

Yes, I agree with your point, but if I remember correctly, in the "frozen" V8 era there was a significant power increase and general improvement thanks to these "reliability" modifications. I personally expect all engine to unlock some potential with this method.
If I have to run say 950bhp because the piston can’t cope with cylinder pressures much beyond that, except for short bursts, but them I redesign it under the guise of reliability (fix cracking) and now I can run 1000bhp all the tike did I fox reliability or performance?

In my mind you are fixing both and reliability gains often result in higher performance because you can raise the ceiling.

matteosc
matteosc

Hoffman900 wrote:
23 Mar 2022, 15:45
If I have to run say 950bhp because the piston can’t cope with cylinder pressures much beyond that, except for short bursts, but them I redesign it under the guise of reliability (fix cracking) and now I can run 1000bhp all the tike did I fox reliability or performance?

In my mind you are fixing both and reliability gains often result in higher performance because you can raise the ceiling.
Yes, but if you can prove that the engine was always able to deliver a certain amount of power, then the fix is for reliability only. As long as you do not increase the maximum power you can always claim this, in my opinion.
The way in which FIA will take this is uncertain at the moment, but I think that as long as all engines are close in real track performance they will allow it.

matteosc
matteosc

Andi76 wrote:
23 Mar 2022, 15:40
Just read that the new engine has a new intercooler-technology but the biggest advance must be a super-fast ignition with a more turbulent intake-mixture which allows the flame to spread to the edges of the combustion camber more quickly. Greater adavantages can be taken by the 500 bar fuel pressure. And it is the word Ferrari still does not use a split turbo.
I read about the super-fast engine before. I heard it is being in development for several years. Do you have a link to the source?

mzso
mzso

matteosc wrote:
23 Mar 2022, 15:42
I only remember Renault who lagged behind everyone else...

codetower

matteosc wrote:
Vanja #66 wrote:

Yes, the translation is correct, but it's the interpretation that I'm at odds with. JUST my opinion, but I think the article is meant to imply that establish the reliability of the 2022 power unit... which is an "evolution" of the 2021 power unit. They haven't established the reliability of this specific evolution yet, so they might introduce the next PU after 3-4 races, maybe more. Thats what I get from the article.