Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
ryaan2904

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

DarthPlagueisTheVise wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 12:11
Goddamn it looks hott :shock:

Seriously confused if it's split or conventional. That intake above & behind the plenums could be either for the turbo or for a small radiator. Looks like turbo to me, which means it's a conventional engine. This engine looks the real deal man
CFD Eyes of Sauron

ryaan2904

I also could be quite wrong :wtf:

CFD Eyes of Sauron

AR3-GP

timoth wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 12:08
AR3-GP wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 02:45
Ferrari split turbo rumours are officially dead. Mark Hughes reports that it is a normal turbo. Mark is a paddock insider so his remarks will have come directly from Ferrari in my estimation.

Nice article about the Ferrari PU here: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... LatoL.html
Most of the things he wrote in this article are from an article on formu1a.uno which was written 8 or 9 months ago. So many things may have changed in the last 9 months and for sure it's not official just because it's in f1 website.
Of course I'm not saying it's not split turbo, all I'm saying is that we don't know. It's just speculation based on an article written 9 months ago.
:lol: Well the rumor is not dead then!!!

Why so secretive Ferrari!

Hoffman900

AR3-GP wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 15:59
timoth wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 12:08
AR3-GP wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 02:45
Ferrari split turbo rumours are officially dead. Mark Hughes reports that it is a normal turbo. Mark is a paddock insider so his remarks will have come directly from Ferrari in my estimation.

Nice article about the Ferrari PU here: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... LatoL.html
Most of the things he wrote in this article are from an article on formu1a.uno which was written 8 or 9 months ago. So many things may have changed in the last 9 months and for sure it's not official just because it's in f1 website.
Of course I'm not saying it's not split turbo, all I'm saying is that we don't know. It's just speculation based on an article written 9 months ago.
:lol: Well the rumor is not dead then!!!

Why so secretive Ferrari!
If I was a team guy and there was an "insider" walking around, I'd probably misdirect him / give him half truths, and that probably happens to Mark a lot more than he lets on or he realizes.

I'd be curious to see how the flex coupling of the inlet ducts look. That's usually an Achilles heal, but I can't think of the F1 teams having much issues with them

AR3-GP

ryaan2904 wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 14:50

Scarbs explanation does not explain the tubes connected to the plenum at the back of the engine.

Hoffman900

AR3-GP wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 16:05
ryaan2904 wrote:

Scarbs explanation does not explain the tubes connected to the plenum at the back of the engine.
Those are the inlet port runners.

Dr. Acula

AR3-GP wrote:
ryaan2904 wrote:

Well, there's something strange with Scarbs drawing anyway. The way he connected the compressor, it would actually blow air out of the airbox. The airbox needs to be connected to the "front" of the compressor, not to its radial exit.

AR3-GP

Dr. Acula wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 16:44
AR3-GP wrote:
ryaan2904 wrote:

Well, there's something strange with Scarbs drawing anyway. The way he connected the compressor, it would actually blow air out of the airbox. The airbox needs to be connected to the "front" of the compressor, not to its radial exit.
That's a great observation! It's likely Scarbs just has it backwards. Intake connects to the axial port of the compressor. Intercooler is connected to the tangential exit. Quite frankly the image looks similar to the Mercedes/Renault/Honda. I can't imagine why it wouldn't be a split turbo.

So why can't someone just confront Mattia lol? They give thousands of interviews with useless questions. Ask him. Split turbo or no?

ryaan2904

AR3-GP wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 16:52
Dr. Acula wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

That's a great observation! It's likely Scarbs just has it backwards. Intake connects to the axial port of the compressor. Intercooler is connected to the tangential exit. Quite frankly the image looks similar to the Mercedes/Renault/Honda. I can't imagine why it wouldn't be a split turbo.

So why can't someone just confront Mattia lol? They give thousands of interviews with useless questions. Ask him. Split turbo or no?
Scarbs said he isn't saying
CFD Eyes of Sauron

basti313

ryaan2904 wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 17:07
AR3-GP wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 16:52
Dr. Acula wrote:

Scarbs said he isn't saying
Well, I mentioned this already several times last season: From the concept the split turbo is 15% more efficient than the normal turbo.
So either I am right with everyone now on split or I am still very puzzled how they can find this power.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Dr. Acula

AR3-GP wrote:
Yes, that's actually very weird. Why would the plenum need an addional pipe at the back if scarbs is right? Unless what we're looking at in the middle of the picture is actually not the plenum, but an intercooler.

mzso

AR3-GP wrote:
Well, tweet him about it. He seems eager to respond to such questions.

mzso

Dr. Acula wrote:
The way he connected the compressor, it would actually blow air out of the airbox. The airbox needs to be connected to the "front" of the compressor, not to its radial exit.
Maybe it works the opposite way to expectations? :)

mzso

basti313 wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 18:05
From the concept the split turbo is 15% more efficient than the normal turbo.
And how would you know that without actually working on the design on one of the F1 engines?

basti313

mzso wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 18:34
basti313 wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 18:05
From the concept the split turbo is 15% more efficient than the normal turbo.
And how would you know that without actually working on the design on one of the F1 engines?
How do you know that I do not work on the design of F1 engines?
Don`t russel the hamster!