2022 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, March 25 - 27

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
NicoS

Re: 2022 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, March 25 - 27

ringo wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 21:33
NicoS wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 21:31
Mchamilton wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 21:24
"Just struggled with the balance of the car. And not where I want to be," he said.

"It's something in the set-up. It was looking good in FP3 and we tried to progress in a similar direction.

"Maybe we went too far and then the car was undriveable. It's so nervous."

- Lewis Hamilton
poor driver feedback?
Or desperately trying to find a silver bullet to make progress up the field in the race and took a gamble.
one should never act in desperation. Clear thought and structured approach is much more likely to yield better results.

JordanMugen

Russell:
"All our effort is going into solving the porpoising issue, so we can't focus on anything else. There's so much more to a Formula One car. It's so frustrating."

Very interesting.

lh13
lh13

nevill3 wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 21:34
PlatinumZealot wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 21:30
Sounds like a penalty. 5 positions more if he crossed the white line.
Where was it at though? I cant see how you can exceed track limits be a whole car width on this track.
Christian said he put a tyre on the pit entry line and is not too concerned as other drivers did too
They do it all the time, for example in Brazil, and in Baku as well. Not sure why it'll be a penalty, of that is what they're investigating.

LM10
LM10

JordanMugen wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 21:37
Russell:
"All our effort is going into solving the porpoising issue, so we can't focus on anything else. There's so much more to a Formula One car. It's so frustrating."

Very interesting.
Well, that's the problem Mercedes is facing right now. While others with a decent base of a car can focus on development, Mercedes first must solve their issues. That's why it's tricky to say that the only thing they need to do is to solve the porpoising and they'll immediately be fighting on the front. In the meantime others will have developed their cars.

lh13
lh13

You're judging Max based on 1 quali session while Max was clearly faster last quali, and race than Perez. He was fatser here all weekend long and struggled with tyre temps in Q3. Perez got pole fair and square but your 'opinion' of writing off Max is based on 'nothing' and wording of your post wasn't great either.

Just my opinion.

chrisc90

nevill3 wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 21:36
chrisc90 wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 21:30

Sounds like a penalty. 5 positions more if he crossed the white line.
Where was it at though? I cant see how you can exceed track limits be a whole car width on this track.
Christian said he put a tyre on the pit entry line and is not too concerned as other drivers did too
Odd. Never knew you couldnt cross the pit entry line.

Seems odd that they allow you to cross the exit line fully too which is far more dangerous if a car is coming out the pits and car overtakes like Max did last week on Charles for example. Car coming out stands no chance and the approaching car probably wont even know a car is exiting the pit at full speed

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

chrisc90 wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 21:42
nevill3 wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 21:36
chrisc90 wrote:

Odd. Never knew you couldnt cross the pit entry line.

Seems odd that they allow you to cross the exit line fully too which is far more dangerous if a car is coming out the pits and car overtakes like Max did last week on Charles for example. Car coming out stands no chance and the approaching car probably wont even know a car is exiting the pit at full speed
You cant cut the entry line if youre entering the pits, and you cant cut the exit line if youre exiting the pits.
You can cross either if youre on the race track.

silver
silver

ringo wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 21:32
Magicsenna_41 wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 21:26
This quote deleted. Mods
Maybe it is Perez year to shine. He has done his homework and can get more from the car. Redbull may need to make Checo the #1 driver now and let Max support him by fighting Charles and Sainz.

Max is too miserable. 2 races now he is complaining. He is almost like a fish out of water. 2021 had the perfect environment for him to thrive. Now everything has changed I am curious to see what happens if Checo has more points than him after 5 races in.
It's a changed day! Hamilton out in Q3, beaten handsomely by Russell and Max beaten in quali by Perez. Some changes are good for F1. It's amazing to see the two Ferrari boys being so close in qualifying battle.

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

I really didn't expect RB to be on pole. Leclerc didn't lose time in S3 due to a mistake (from the onboard, no significant mistake is revealed), so I think it is the case indeed that RB and Ferrari are approximately matched, at least on one lap pace, which is a nice surprise. I'm very curious to see what MV has to say.

Mega lap from Checo, he could play a decisive role tomorrow.

woocasz
woocasz

Leclerc did a mistake in s3, cause he didn`t improve time in s3 (yellow bar) but still 1-2 for Ferrari tomorrow.

ringo

lh13 wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 21:42
You're judging Max based on 1 quali session while Max was clearly faster last quali, and race than Perez. He was fatser here all weekend long and struggled with tyre temps in Q3. Perez got pole fair and square but your 'opinion' of writing off Max is based on 'nothing' and wording of your post wasn't great either.

Just my opinion.
You are getting emotional. They both have zero points. A driver is only as good as his last race.
It is my opinion that Checo is just as quick at the moment and can leave this weekend with more points.
For Sure!!

lh13
lh13

Bill_Kar wrote:I really didn't expect RB to be on pole. Leclerc didn't lose time in S3 due to a mistake (from the onboard, no significant mistake is revealed), so I think it is the case indeed that RB and Ferrari are approximately matched, at least on one lap pace, which is a nice surprise. I'm very curious to see what MV has to say.

Start will be crucial for Perez, obviously, and even more so for Ferraris. If Perez can hold back Ferraris, it'll help Max to get Ferraris. I bet he'll get Sainz rather quickly if this is the case.

Also I mentioned earlier, if Max was struggling to get the tyres up to temps, his tyres might hold up a bit better than they did in Bahrain. All to play for tomorrow.

Mr5in1

Bill_Kar wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 21:49
I really didn't expect RB to be on pole. Leclerc didn't lose time in S3 due to a mistake (from the onboard, no significant mistake is revealed), so I think it is the case indeed that RB and Ferrari are approximately matched, at least on one lap pace, which is a nice surprise. I'm very curious to see what MV has to say.

I thought Leclerc had a little oversteer on the last turn exit but thought his on board for S1 and S2 looked mega.

I still need to see Checo's lap but what a great time and to get his 1st pole, interesting grid for tomorrow.

Ocon was very lucky not to go off where Mick did seems the fastest way is over that kerb but need to keep the grip, some cars OK to do that others struggle.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

woocasz wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 21:53
Leclerc did a mistake in s3, cause he didn`t improve time in s3 (yellow bar) but still 1-2 for Ferrari tomorrow.
But he was a lot quicker in s1, so chances are he ran out of tyre a it in s3 relative to his first lap

NicoS

silver wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 21:48
ringo wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 21:32
Magicsenna_41 wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 21:26
This quote deleted. Mods
Maybe it is Perez year to shine. He has done his homework and can get more from the car. Redbull may need to make Checo the #1 driver now and let Max support him by fighting Charles and Sainz.

Max is too miserable. 2 races now he is complaining. He is almost like a fish out of water. 2021 had the perfect environment for him to thrive. Now everything has changed I am curious to see what happens if Checo has more points than him after 5 races in.
It's a changed day! Hamilton out in Q3, beaten handsomely by Russell and Max beaten in quali by Perez. Some changes are good for F1. It's amazing to see the two Ferrari boys being so close in qualifying battle.
Definitely looks like Jorge is starting to build the team around him.
He seems to give more precise feedback, allowing his setup to progress in the right direction. It's now up to the team to support him more. With his help they will win again!