2022 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, March 25 - 27

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Neuron
Neuron

Re: 2022 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, March 25 - 27

PlatinumZealot wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 21:03
Does anyone else notice that Max races much much cleaner this year? Champion now make him take less risks?

I assume it's fake ;)

IMO - it is just too early. When Max and Charles will be very close with points, from the middle of the season they will crash each other etc. same as Max and Lewis did past year. It's normal.

Big Tea

PinkFloydPulse wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 20:58
lh13 wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 20:50
PinkFloydPulse wrote:Can someone tell me if Max being in-line or even slightly passing the lead car while safety car is ending is legal or in spirit of the rules or in line with a gentlemens agreement between drivers? Or he just blatantly does not care… I have never seen any driver ever do what he does on SC restarts…
It is legal if you keep your nose behind. Even if your nose gets in front for a second and then back again quickly, it'll be alright.
I think they should clamp down on this… It’s just poor sportsmanship if you ask me and for sure getting an unfair advantage… (good thing no-one asks me anything)…
They can not without changing the rules, even then it would be difficult. They need to make it plain that if the car gets 1 inch of its nose in front for 1 second it is a penalty, then let the drivers decide. Just a tap or lift if you want to chance it
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

lh13
lh13

Sad for Checo. I wish they would have gone for the overcut.

Sevach
Sevach

PlatinumZealot wrote:

I saw Perez managing the gap remember Charles was never in DRS.

Does anyone else notice that Max races much much cleaner this year? Champion now make him take less risks?
Charles did manage to cut down the gap to get Red Bull spooked enough to pit Perez, he also came out behind Russell and had warm up issues, going slower than George on his outlap...
But in the end the Latifi Hammer is blind and can hit anyone.

tpe
tpe

How on earth MV managed to gain 1'' under VSC?
They are supposed to run in a delta.
So, what happen? Did CL and Ferrari didn't pay attention and lapped in a bigger delta or FIA closed the eye to MV?

proteus

Mogster wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 20:38
proteus wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 20:35
Another clean fight between Max and Charles.
There’s nothing really at stake at the moment.
How not? What driver would take it slow at the start, because there are still 20+ races to go? The fight is on when the first lights are turned off.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

dialtone
dialtone

PlatinumZealot wrote:
dialtone wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 20:59
PlatinumZealot wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 20:57

Carlos looks a to have less of an edge than Charles at the moment. I really wanted him to attack Max haaard in the second stint and he really wasn't making any inroads! Not sure maybe the Ferrari is slightly worse ar following?
Why would the Ferrari be worse at following when Leclerc stayed right on Perez tail until the stop? Perez stopped while being 1.7s ahead of Leclerc after having been 2.7s+ ahead a few laps earlier.
I saw Perez managing the gap remember Charles was never in DRS.
So you think Perez decided to lose 1 second in 2 laps right around pit stop window to manage the gap? His strategy was to have the least gap to LEC in 10 laps right when he was supposed to pit and come back right behind Russell after that?

silver
silver

That was a thrilling race! Shame that Perez lost out to an unfortunate situation. It also once again reaffirms the belief that Verstappen is so far ahead as a racer than Perez. He simply couldn't do to Sainz what Verstappen did to Leclerc. I doubt if Perez would have held on to the lead for the whole race looking at the pace Leclerc was showing.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Neuron wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 21:09
PlatinumZealot wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/4dkvXA3.jpeg

I assume it's fake ;)

IMO - it is just too early. When Max and Charles will be very close with points, from the middle of the season they will crash each other etc. same as Max and Lewis did past year. It's normal.
Way too early and tbh out of the two ? Charles seems much calmer and relaxed in the car compared to Max who should have kept his head down rather than complaining about Charles cutting the pit entry line or seeming to be too quick on near the end "That's not fair". I think if there is one criticism I would make of Max it's his expectation that other drivers will get out of his way when he makes an aggressive overtake. I expect that when Charles does get his elbows out with Max, Max won't be as full of praise for Charles as he is at the moment. Fireworks there later in the season.

chrisc90

taperoo2k wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 21:22
Neuron wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

I assume it's fake ;)

Way too early and tbh out of the two ? Charles seems much calmer and relaxed in the car compared to Max who should have kept his head down rather than complaining about Charles cutting the pit entry line or seeming to be too quick on near the end "That's not fair". I think if there is one criticism I would make of Max it's his expectation that other drivers will get out of his way when he makes an aggressive overtake. I expect that when Charles does get his elbows out with Max, Max won't be as full of praise for Charles as he is at the moment. Fireworks there later in the season.
I think its right that Max can bring up points like the ERS lights not working, or potential cutting the pit line. Its simply alerting the team to possible problems that may/may not need investigating. Perfectly fine of max to do so.

Was Carlos also the one who should have kept his head down instead of complaining about the pit exit with Perez?

Gillian
Gillian

chrisc90 wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 21:27
taperoo2k wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 21:22
Neuron wrote:

I assume it's fake ;)

I think its right that Max can bring up points like the ERS lights not working, or potential cutting the pit line. Its simply alerting the team to possible problems that may/may not need investigating. Perfectly fine of max to do so.

Was Carlos also the one who should have kept his head down instead of complaining about the pit exit with Perez?
Exactly.

And to add, Leclerc already got his elbows out far and wide... Just look at the restart for example. Verstappen putting the pressure on him and Leclerc just runs him wide. No complaining from Verstappen about that.

Mogster

proteus wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 21:19
Mogster wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 20:38
proteus wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 20:35
Another clean fight between Max and Charles.
There’s nothing really at stake at the moment.
How not? What driver would take it slow at the start, because there are still 20+ races to go? The fight is on when the first lights are turned off.
It didn’t really brew up last year till R10. It was clear to everyone then Lewis had to finish in front of Max. Both are relatively happy to take P1/P2 at this point, it’s a very very long season.

I do think it’s easier to race wheel to wheel in these 2022 cars in med/slow corners though.

falonso81

Who would have thought that Mercedes would be second in the standings at this point, ahead of RB. Alpine implosion, safety cars, rivals dropping out. What more can Merc fans ask for? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

wogx

Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

Looking again, I really believe LH was really unlucky. The team tells him to pit before T27, but it seems it is really tough to enter the pitlane at that moment without crossing the entry white line, which would lead him to a penalty.