2022 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, March 25 - 27

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Watto
Watto

Re: 2022 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, March 25 - 27

Mattyw wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 20:45
f1316 wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 20:40
Great race in the end - slow burn and built to a peak - and fair play to Max for pulling it out.

I think the VSC and the yellow flag played slightly into Max’s hands at the end but then the first safety car helped Charles against Checo, so it’s swings and roundabouts.

Each race just makes me excited for the next one!
Max also benefited from the first safety car, it literally all went his way - you wouldn't have thought the amount he complained on the radio
I think people read way too much into those comments by drivers Lewis is famous for it, but meh, it doesn't bother me too much. Just how they both deal with things. the first SC cost checco a lot.

But was a great race so far the new regs seem to be doing their job.

lh13
lh13

PinkFloydPulse wrote:Can someone tell me if Max being in-line or even slightly passing the lead car while safety car is ending is legal or in spirit of the rules or in line with a gentlemens agreement between drivers? Or he just blatantly does not care… I have never seen any driver ever do what he does on SC restarts…
It is legal if you keep your nose behind. Even if your nose gets in front for a second and then back again quickly, it'll be alright.

PlatinumZealot

Sevach wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 20:48
Sergio was perfect but got hit with Latifi Hammer (what an inept crash this was).
Red Bull straight line setup prevailed.
DRS was a little too powerful for my taste here, let's wait and see but number of zones and opening angle may need adjustment.
Williams should drop the guy. Cant handle a car with worn tyres.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

McL-H
McL-H

Great race. Oh my, what a season we’re gonna get this year. Red Bull and Ferrari are so evenly matched.
I do hope it will be one of the Ferrari guys that come out on top. I have great admiration for Verstappen’s driving, but he has a personality that makes it difficult to root for him. 50 laps of whining to finally cheer at the end. No thumbs up to Charles had it been the other way around, for sure. Leclerc has much more personality. Both are great racers, though.

Big Tea

PlatinumZealot wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 20:50
Sevach wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 20:48
Sergio was perfect but got hit with Latifi Hammer (what an inept crash this was).
Red Bull straight line setup prevailed.
DRS was a little too powerful for my taste here, let's wait and see but number of zones and opening angle may need adjustment.
Williams should drop the guy. Cant handle a car with worn tyres.
But he can pay like a champion
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Watto
Watto

GrizzleBoy wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 20:46
I don't know how they can investigate anyone for yellow flag infringements when they yellow flag messages were so all over the places and confusing in rapid on-off-on-off style.
Yep. Noticed that was a yellow then it went green for about a second yellow again.

PlatinumZealot

McL-H wrote:
Great race. Oh my, what a season we’re gonna get this year. Red Bull and Ferrari are so evenly matched.
I do hope it will be one of the Ferrari guys that come out on top. I have great admiration for Verstappen’s driving, but he has a personality that makes it difficult to root for him. 50 laps of whining to finally cheer at the end. No thumbs up to Charles had it been the other way around, for sure. Leclerc has much more personality. Both are great racers, though.
Carlos looks a to have less of an edge than Charles at the moment. I really wanted him to attack Max haaard in the second stint and he really wasn't making any inroads! Not sure maybe the Ferrari is slightly worse ar following?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PinkFloydPulse

lh13 wrote:
PinkFloydPulse wrote:Can someone tell me if Max being in-line or even slightly passing the lead car while safety car is ending is legal or in spirit of the rules or in line with a gentlemens agreement between drivers? Or he just blatantly does not care… I have never seen any driver ever do what he does on SC restarts…
It is legal if you keep your nose behind. Even if your nose gets in front for a second and then back again quickly, it'll be alright.
I think they should clamp down on this… It’s just poor sportsmanship if you ask me and for sure getting an unfair advantage… (good thing no-one asks me anything)…
Team Fernando!

dialtone
dialtone

PlatinumZealot wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 20:57
McL-H wrote:
Carlos looks a to have less of an edge than Charles at the moment. I really wanted him to attack Max haaard in the second stint and he really wasn't making any inroads! Not sure maybe the Ferrari is slightly worse ar following?
Why would the Ferrari be worse at following when Leclerc stayed right on Perez tail until the stop? Perez stopped while being 1.7s ahead of Leclerc after having been 2.7s+ ahead a few laps earlier.

Gillian
Gillian

PlatinumZealot wrote:
McL-H wrote:
He followed just fine when Perez was in P1. He just couldn't keep up with Leclerc and Verstappen today, no shame in that.

grubschumi13
grubschumi13

The ability to follow better was so evident here today. This was a very good and entertaining race. I think these cars will produce entertaining races on street circuits. Much better than Bahrain.

wogx

PlatinumZealot wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 20:47
PinkFloydPulse wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 20:44
Can someone tell me if Max being in-line or even slightly passing the lead car while safety car is ending is legal or in spirit of the rules or in line with a gentlemens agreement between drivers? Or he just blatantly does not care… I have never seen any driver ever do what he does on SC restarts… 🤷🏻
I think stewards need to clamp down on this. It's an unfair advantage.
PinkFloydPulse wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 20:58
I think they should clamp down on this… It’s just poor sportsmanship if you ask me and for sure getting an unfair advantage… (good thing no-one asks me anything)…
What advantage did he gained? You need to remember that Leclerc drove him off track in T27
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

Neuron
Neuron

1. Lattifi did it again... I mean - changed the race resulsts.
2. Mercedes still nowhere, 30s behind winner.
3. Very noticable respect between Max nad Charles... so far :) Past season started similar with quite a good respect between leaders until first crash.

PlatinumZealot

dialtone wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 20:59
PlatinumZealot wrote:
McL-H wrote:
Why would the Ferrari be worse at following when Leclerc stayed right on Perez tail until the stop? Perez stopped while being 1.7s ahead of Leclerc after having been 2.7s+ ahead a few laps earlier.
I saw Perez managing the gap remember Charles was never in DRS.

Does anyone else notice that Max races much much cleaner this year? Champion now make him take less risks?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

bucker
bucker

grubschumi13 wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 21:00
The ability to follow better was so evident here today. This was a very good and entertaining race. I think these cars will produce entertaining races on street circuits. Much better than Bahrain.
Exactly, Ocon Said it is like gokart racing again.