2022 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, March 25 - 27

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
radosav
radosav

Re: 2022 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, March 25 - 27

Alonso on 1:11 on racing with Ocon

Magicsenna_41
Magicsenna_41

wogx wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 12:57
CL & MV laughing in Parc Ferme post Saudi Arabia GP

https://preview.redd.it/06kxzaql11q81.j ... 981c993d24
Still laughing. Lets see mid-season :mrgreen:
for F1 and the fans it would be great.

jz11
jz11

SiLo wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 13:53
I think many people might not be aware that they changed the regs around handing positions back etc. Race director won't offer teams to do this anymore or tell them, they will just let the stewards decide and then the drivers are on their own.
the way I understood it is that teams can't argue any more about it with stewards, but they can give it up on their own before the official decision is made, so if the case is more or less clear and situation allows it - teams can act without orders from above, but if they don't, then they are at full mercy of the stewards, which usually results in a harsher punishment

this is a big improvement on the previous situation where they would endlessly argue and haggle like they are on a market, which IMO was unacceptable, waiting for official ruling every time would turn this into kindergarten level of event

this situation was close, drivers couldn't really 100% see it themselves from their perspective, and that Sainz message him saying he was ahead or not was just drama build up, he literally couldn't see if he was or wasn't in front, you could only see it from the outside

Magicsenna_41
Magicsenna_41

jz11 wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 14:33
SiLo wrote:
I think many people might not be aware that they changed the regs around handing positions back etc. Race director won't offer teams to do this anymore or tell them, they will just let the stewards decide and then the drivers are on their own.
the way I understood it is that teams can't argue any more about it with stewards, but they can give it up on their own before the official decision is made, so if the case is more or less clear and situation allows it - teams can act without orders from above, but if they don't, then they are at full mercy of the stewards, which usually results in a harsher punishment

this is a big improvement on the previous situation where they would endlessly argue and haggle like they are on a market, which IMO was unacceptable, waiting for official ruling every time would turn this into kindergarten level of event

this situation was close, drivers couldn't really 100% see it themselves from their perspective, and that Sainz message him saying he was ahead or not was just drama build up, he literally couldn't see if he was or wasn't in front, you could only see it from the outside
but here again RedBull cleverness coming into play.
They wanted to protect their 2nd placed car by leaving Checo on 3rd.
This kind of games should be considered by Race Control.
Sainz had no opportunity to possibly attack 2nd place driver at restart. Here Max Verstappen
BTW like Abu Dhabi... :shock:

jz11
jz11

Magicsenna_41 wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 14:44
jz11 wrote:
SiLo wrote:

Sainz had no opportunity to possibly attack 2nd place driver at restart. Here Max Verstappen
I can't even begin to even think RB did anything "clever" like you suggest in this situation, they couldn't possibly know if Sainz was or wasn't in front as he was coming back on track over that line, once they settled on the track they couldn't do anything about it on their own

the only situation that may seem to satisfy you is Perez and RB expecting that Sainz MAYBE might be very very slightly in front of them coming out of the pits tell Perez to back off - I mean - that isn't even racing any more then, that's some sort of submission fetish then

silver
silver

jz11 wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 14:59
Magicsenna_41 wrote:
jz11 wrote:

I can't even begin to even think RB did anything "clever" like you suggest in this situation, they couldn't possibly know if Sainz was or wasn't in front as he was coming back on track over that line, once they settled on the track they couldn't do anything about it on their own

the only situation that may seem to satisfy you is Perez and RB expecting that Sainz MAYBE might be very very slightly in front of them coming out of the pits tell Perez to back off - I mean - that isn't even racing any more then, that's some sort of submission fetish then
At Alpine, team mates were fighting tooth and nail for position and how can one expect the current championship contenders to give away marginal, extremely close decision like this as if they are in a gala of some sort. "OK Sir, After you". Besides, there was not even a single overtake at the SC restart, it hasn't happened in a while. So to expect Sainz could have challenged Verstappen is stretching it. It was hard but fair contention and when red bull pit wall realized it, probably decided to let it go. Even if red bull did such clever and dynamic thinking that keeping Perez ahead would protect Verstappen, there was no way to prove such allegations. That is just searching for a needle in a haystack.
Verstappen kept complaining about Leclerc crossing pit entry line, which was probably more visible violation, however minimal it was. I am glad Stewards didn't do anything about it and let the race continue uninterrupted.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Magicsenna_41 wrote:
jz11 wrote:
SiLo wrote:

I agree with you... RB had 3 or 4 laps under SC to let Carlos by but instead they waited after turn 1 of the restart... This was quite unfair

PlatinumZealot

SiLo wrote:
This means they will penalize you without warning the team! That's the true meaning of this rule. And it's good.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

jz11
jz11

Spoutnik wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 15:24
Magicsenna_41 wrote:
jz11 wrote:

I agree with you... RB had 3 or 4 laps under SC to let Carlos by but instead they waited after turn 1 of the restart... This was quite unfair
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
do you even understand how ridiculous your post is considering SC rules?

PlatinumZealot

The races are fun so far. But I'm not getting a "championship feeling" yet. The true feelings of rivalry will start maybe in Europe and I hope Mercedes is fighting for wins by then! If not oh well just gotta camp with Ferrari for this year.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

silver wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 15:22
jz11 wrote:
Magicsenna_41 wrote:

At Alpine, team mates were fighting tooth and nail for position and how can one expect the current championship contenders to give away marginal, extremely close decision like this as if they are in a gala of some sort. "OK Sir, After you". [Besides, there was not even a single overtake at the SC restart, it hasn't happened in a while. So to expect Sainz could have challenged Verstappen is stretching it. It was hard but fair contention and when red bull pit wall realized it, probably decided to let it go. Even if red bull did such clever and dynamic thinking that keeping Perez ahead would protect Verstappen, there was no way to prove such allegations.
Regarding a potential overtaking maneuver what does that mean the spirit of the rule can be broken if "the driver is not good so we can't expect him to overtake" ? Sainz almost overtook Verstappen at the restart in Bahreïn due to Verstappen's mind games (going alongside Leclerc)

It can be proved because everyone on TV saw Sainz ahead at the SC line. RB saw it too... They had no reasons to wait that much time, apart to screw Sainz and protect Verstappen, which was ofc smart, but not in the spirit of the rules imo.

Big Tea

Spoutnik wrote:
Magicsenna_41 wrote:
jz11 wrote:

Is there not a rule about overtaking behind S/C? They would then have fallen foul of this and probably got a penalty
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

jz11 wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 15:27
Spoutnik wrote:
Magicsenna_41 wrote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
do you even understand how ridiculous your post is considering SC rules?
I understand your stance.
I can also argue last year Verstappen gave two position back during a formation lap... Furthemore, I don't think RB would've get penalized for giving back the position

I think FIA need to clarify this one

Magicsenna_41
Magicsenna_41

silver wrote:
jz11 wrote:
Magicsenna_41 wrote:

At Alpine, team mates were fighting tooth and nail for position and how can one expect the current championship contenders to give away marginal, extremely close decision like this as if they are in a gala of some sort. "OK Sir, After you". Besides, there was not even a single overtake at the SC restart, it hasn't happened in a while. So to expect Sainz could have challenged Verstappen is stretching it. It was hard but fair contention and when red bull pit wall realized it, probably decided to let it go. Even if red bull did such clever and dynamic thinking that keeping Perez ahead would protect Verstappen, there was no way to prove such allegations. That is just searching for a needle in a haystack.
Verstappen kept complaining about Leclerc crossing pit entry line, which was probably more visible violation, however minimal it was. I am glad Stewards didn't do anything about it and let the race continue uninterrupted.
c' mon guys. we dont need to be smart to see tactics ongoing here.
Sainz behind Verstappen would be a different level pressure-wise at restarts - see Bahrain.
No overtakes at SC restarts until yet? This doesnt mean its impossible...

basti313
basti313

Magicsenna_41 wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 15:35
silver wrote:
jz11 wrote:

c' mon guys. we dont need to be smart to see tactics ongoing here.
Sainz behind Verstappen would be a different level pressure-wise at restarts - see Bahrain.
No overtakes at SC restarts until yet? This doesnt mean its impossible...
By the words in the rules it is impossible.

And as just a race director was grilled for trying to put common sense into the wording it is now impossible for the new race director to do the same. So the race management waits until the SC is over and then switches. Thank you all you rocked the words and aimed for Masi's head!

RedBull by they way also took risk. If Sainz would have lost a position, the way back for Perez would have been long.
Don`t russel the hamster!