Red Bull RB18

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
AR3-GP

Re: Red Bull RB18

Stu wrote:
06 Apr 2022, 23:18
AR3-GP wrote:
06 Apr 2022, 22:52
ispano6 wrote:
06 Apr 2022, 17:29
Pic of the rb18/At03 gearbox and rear suspension area.
https://mobile.twitter.com/NicolasF1i/s ... gr%5Etweet
That is WILDLY complicated :wtf:
I’m trying to work out where the mechanical links would be!!
I suspect it's something like this:

Maybe there is a parallel shaft connecting the upper rocker to a secondary rocker which is submerged near the bottom. When the main rocker pivots, the secondary one pivots. Same phase motions of the left and right wheels (pure heave) may cause lengthening or compression of the device at the bottom. Opposite phase motions would just cause the entire device to translate from left to right with with no effect to the independent corner stiffness and damping. That's my guess! Looks insane.

I still can't workout what the anti-roll bar is supposed to be connected to.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 07 Apr 2022, 01:55, edited 2 times in total.

ispano6

TNTHead wrote:
06 Apr 2022, 23:01
ispano6 wrote:
06 Apr 2022, 17:29
Pic of the rb18/At03 gearbox and rear suspension area.
https://mobile.twitter.com/NicolasF1i/s ... gr%5Etweet
Whats that drive shaft material? it looks like nylon but thats not very stiff.
That's a plug/cover for transporting isn't it?

PlatinumZealot

AR3-GP wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 00:10
Stu wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

https://i.postimg.cc/0QhkPHkG/Image-1.jpg

Maybe there is a parallel shaft connecting the upper rocker to a secondary rocker which is submerged near the bottom. When the main rocker pivots, the secondary one pivots. Same phase motions of the left and right wheels (pure heave) may cause lengthening or compression of the device at the bottom. Opposite phase motions would just cause the entire device to translate from left to right with with no effect to the independent corner stiffness and damping. That's my guess! Looks insane.

The ARB appears to supported by double shear on either side, not free ends like on a street car. You see the outer things looking arms? They are really outer brackets. If you look carefully you see where the one facing us is bolted down to the gearbox. There are two little linkages going from either side on top of the roll bar that go through those reliefs under the third spring to the other end where I assume they connect to the bell-crank.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

Anyway something elese I discover about this car.

I think the thick lips to the entry of the floor may be for stiffness. Red-bull wanted to eliminate as much oscillation as possible.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Vanja #66

PlatinumZealot wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 03:13
I think the thick lips to the entry of the floor may be for stiffness. Red-bull wanted to eliminate as much oscillation as possible.
Vanes provide plenty of stiffness, thicker leading edge copes better with various angles of attack, maybe they are there also for varying yaw angles.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

gandharva

Wouter

https://www.formulapassion.it/motorspor ... 12063.html

Australian GP: new rear wing for Red Bull
In Melbourne the Milton Keynes team has already brought a new piece

Red Bull will be able to test the effectiveness or otherwise of a new rear wing ready to equip the RB18s of Max Verstappen and Sergio Perez . The Milton Keynes team is planning a sensitive slimming treatment for the Emilia Romagna and Made in Italy Grand Prix to be held in Imola in two weeks, but in the meantime the men available to Adrian Newey have already made available a new piece for the Melbourne stage.

Also Erik van Haren, Dutch sport journalist from Melbourne circuit:

Still no new rear wing for Mercedes in Melbourne, as initially planned.
Red Bull, on the other hand, is coming with a new rear wing in Australia.

The Power of Dreams!

Bandit1216

AR3-GP wrote:
Stu wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

I though I read on here torsion springs are banned for 2022. Or is that only front?
But just suppose it weren't hypothetical.

PhillipM

That was completely incorrect, some journalist posted it misinterpreting the regs and loads of people just picked it up and ran with it.

NicoS

This car is an absolute jewel!

godlameroso

PlatinumZealot wrote:

It's thick because it's shrouding the side impact structure.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

Bandit1216 wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 11:24
AR3-GP wrote:
Stu wrote:

I though I read on here torsion springs are banned for 2022. Or is that only front?
There's a lot that's allowed, you can have springs in series, the rules say that the rockers have a monotonic displacement of the suspension, not that its linear.
Saishū kōnā

Curbstone

godlameroso wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 16:10
PlatinumZealot wrote:

The side impact structure is positioned more to the back, below the "OR" you can see a small bulge on the floor, this is where side impact structure is located.

godlameroso

Curbstone wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 16:49
godlameroso wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 16:10
PlatinumZealot wrote:

The side impact structure is positioned more to the back, below the "OR" you can see a small bulge on the floor, this is where side impact structure is located.
You're right! My mistake. Then you keep it round to avoid flow separation, and exploit the coanda effect to accelerate air like the bell mouths on jet engines on a test stand.
Saishū kōnā

ringo

NicoS wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 15:42
This car is an absolute jewel!

From these pictures, I get the feeling that they are blowing the diffuser with the flank of the sidepod and the tyre squirt area.
They are basically ramming air into that tight space, almost like a nozzle effect. They should get more suction from the diffuser, but critically, they have a better pressure gradient between the front and back of the car to mitigate against choking.
For Sure!!