Red Bull RB18

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
AR3-GP

Re: Red Bull RB18

I suspect that from next season, they will require 1kg of fluids onboard for the driver. That way everyone carries it.

aleks_ader

AR3-GP wrote:
12 May 2022, 19:40
I suspect that from next season, they will require 1kg of fluids onboard for the driver. That way everyone carries it.
Yeah. But how you prove it that driver will use it anyway? They could just "dump it overboard" like teams in 80s with "watercooling" brakes.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

chrisc90

aleks_ader wrote:
12 May 2022, 20:57
AR3-GP wrote:
Yeah. But how you prove it that driver will use it anyway? They could just "dump it overboard" like teams in 80s with "watercooling" brakes.
Easy. Just weigh the car when the drinks bottle is empty. That way they cant exploit the 'im not going to drink it, so I can have 1kg less weight in the car'

aleks_ader

chrisc90 wrote:
12 May 2022, 21:09
aleks_ader wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:
Easy. Just weigh the car when the drinks bottle is empty. That way they cant exploit the 'im not going to drink it, so I can have 1kg less weight in the car'
Again you dont solve innitial problem of driver hydration and risk assesment. Unless piping and biometrics are the thing. Team and driver will throw 1 litre overboard if necessary. Team are even bothered to strip paint in 1mm^2 for just couple of grams-
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

chrisc90

aleks_ader wrote:
12 May 2022, 22:13
chrisc90 wrote:
aleks_ader wrote:

Again you dont solve innitial problem of driver hydration and risk assesment. Unless piping and biometrics are the thing. Team and driver will throw 1 litre overboard if necessary. Team are even bothered to strip paint in 1mm^2 for just couple of grams-
Baseline car weight, then mandatory for 3Litres (example) to be added to the car for drinking. That must be 'full' at the start of the race to ensure proper hydration opportunities for the driver. Obviously very easy to ban any systems that throw the water away. Once the race is over, FIA empties any bottles and weighs the car.

aleks_ader

chrisc90 wrote:
12 May 2022, 23:08
aleks_ader wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

Baseline car weight, then mandatory for 3Litres (example) to be added to the car for drinking. That must be 'full' at the start of the race to ensure proper hydration opportunities for the driver. Obviously very easy to ban any systems that throw the water away. Once the race is over, FIA empties any bottles and weighs the car.
You dont get me. I dont talk about rule satisfaction. That's easy. But team and driver could empy that bottle trought hole in monococ onto track to shed of weight.

warpomex

aleks_ader wrote:
13 May 2022, 07:42
chrisc90 wrote:
12 May 2022, 23:08
aleks_ader wrote:

You dont get me. I dont talk about rule satisfaction. That's easy. But team and driver could empy that bottle trought hole in monococ onto track to shed of weight.
Too fancy but same way they police fuel. Verify or rule levels or min/max quantities pre and post race and telemetry to FIA of when the drink button is pushed by the driver.

Too convoluted but there are ways to enforce it should they want.

gandharva

This is not related directly to the car and has already been posted in the team thread. The off topic stuff in here is getting annoying.

hollus

I left the post above stay to remark that, no, Red Bull's development budget spending rhythm is not a par of the car, hence it does not belong in the car thread, there is a team thread for that (I assume that was the main pint of complaint). I moved a few posts there, but consider posting it there in the first place next time.

Also, a lot of posts in the Ferrari car thread seem, lately, to focus on what a blue car is doing in track XY.
And a lot of posts in the RedBull car thread seem, lately, to focus on what a red car is doing in track XY.
While I understand that this is a WC between said red and blue cars this year, please, is a post is about car X being faster than car Y in track Z, do post those in the team threads instead of in the car threads. Thank you.

Thunder wrote:
05 Feb 2022, 12:39
https://i.imgur.com/7Gig5it.png

This is the official Red Bull RB18 car thread. The thread has been created to facilitate discussion specifically about the RB18 car.

Please, ONLY discuss technical items of this car. Refrain from speculation.

General discussion about the team, its drivers and performance can be posted in the team thread.

Livery discussion also belongs in the 2022 Red Bull Racing F1 Team thread.
Rivals, not enemies.

ringo

I notice the floor also has a fat leading edge radius; unlike the other cars. This contributes to stability under braking. The bigger nose radius of the floor makes it less sensitive to pitch.
For Sure!!

Henk_v

A fat leading edge can indicatie a beter management of different angles of attack, however, the pitch angle is some order of magnitude lower than the angle of attack tolerance of most aerodynamics.

I prefer to look at it as more displacement volume, making pressure fields and air speed changes more pronounced.

jagunx51

............!!!!

organic

Looks like a substantial system if this article is true; could be hurting their weight

Stu

It certainly does look substantial.
But as for weight, if you simply must have it, low down and ‘fairly central’ is a great place to have that penalty!!
I don’t think that there is anything in the regs about floor thickness (or regulating it to a maximum/minimum thickness), so no reason why other teams that seem to have issues with their floor couldn’t incorporate something similar - without going off-concept.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

henry

Is that stay structure in line with the skate? Might not that be a suspension system with a similar purpose to the system on the bib? I may be imagining a pivot at the outer extremity of the metal beam and the cylinder in the stay as more than an adjuster. But maybe not.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus