2022 Miami Grand Prix - Miami Gardens, May 06 - 08

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
johnny comelately

Re: 2022 Miami Grand Prix - Miami Gardens, May 06 - 08

A rhetorical question, not directed at anyone, but how is Sir Lewis Hamilton not coping with pressure? The car is a heap of junk.

hollus

Let 2021 lay in 2021, thank you.
Rivals, not enemies.

lh13

dialtone wrote:
12 May 2022, 19:36
organic wrote:
12 May 2022, 18:26
dialtone wrote:
12 May 2022, 14:01

What a load of nonsense…
I mean it's evidently true. Max had an easy pass into T1 which Charles didn't/couldn't defend because of the mistake Charles made at T17 which lost him a few tenths. The mistake was made on the first lap max was in DRS; how is that not immediately cracking?

Yes it's obvious RB had better pace, especially on the medium tyre, but Charles made it easy for his title rival
I completely disagree. RB didn't just have better pace, it was on a different world on the medium tyre. It's like saying that Verstappen made mistakes in Australia to lose 20 seconds in 20 laps, it's ridiculous. Leclerc lost about 1 second per lap for 4-5 laps when he got passed by Verstappen.

https://i.imgur.com/gY6mbuj.png

Gap diagram, passing happened on start of lap 9, by the time lap 14 comes around Leclerc is 3.5+ seconds back. There's no way to defend when your tyres went off a cliff like that losing 0.7-8 per lap, he had no traction. Calling those "mistakes" is totally misunderstanding what is going on, totally laughable.

And this is so funny when I got attacked for saying that Verstappen made mistakes in Bahrain when he repeated the same nonsense move 3 times despite knowing leclerc was braking early to get DRS over him in the second straight, and 3 times in a row he got baited... Or that Perez with supposedly an ICE problem and had lost 30hp, when ICE helps with top speed, and Perez had +32kph (!!!!) advantage over Sainz in the straight to T17 for 2 laps, and still couldn't pass.

What was Leclerc supposed to do? Remove graining from the tyres by looking at them intensely? haha
You sure you want to start this sh** again, even when I proved you wrong and you started moving goal posts?

hollus

If you want to discuss the race and pace, this is a great place to do it.
If you want to pick a personal fight, please find another forum to do so?

Aimed at several posters, obviously. Really, everyone else has to read through the fight to see that they did not want to read a post about a personal fight, too late by then.
Rivals, not enemies.

dialtone

To me it's very clear that Checo simply can't keep up in the T11-16 sector. I can't see/hear any ICE weakness. Top RPM of that engine is over 12k rpm and reaches +34kph top speed difference with Sainz.

Spoutnik

dialtone wrote:
13 May 2022, 18:36

To me it's very clear that Checo simply can't keep up in the T11-16 sector. I can't see/hear any ICE weakness. Top RPM of that engine is over 12k rpm and reaches +34kph top speed difference with Sainz.

https://i.imgur.com/vG1dwEr.png
Wow Nice vid !
Sainz did a great job despite struggling with his neck

dialtone

Another interesting graph that really shows how, outside of DRS/slipstream, there was really not much between Ferrari and RedBull in terms of top speed.

hollus

Wonderful data! Thanks for this and other similar posts.
Rivals, not enemies.

chrisc90

Different line for checo? Tried to peep down the inside of Sainz meaning he would have been slower into the entry of the corner. (if im looking at the right part of the track)

Tim.Wright

Re: Cars gg diagrams

F1DataAnalysis wrote:
12 May 2022, 23:32
Thank you for your input: the lateral acceleration is calculated, and the noise could be more easy to mistake for ‘signal’ in these scatterplot than when plotted as a function of time. I’ve noticed that too, I have to check the noise level of the lateral acceleration (the longitudinal acceleration comes from the derivative of speed and its values seem closer to what I expected (even somewhat lower, considering that F1 cars reached 6.0g peaks in Australia 2017 when braking)
The speed traces are really noisy - seems like it's coming directly from GPS. You will never get a good quality acceleration from such a speed trace.

Another thing to consider when checking the feasibility of the calculated acceleration is that braking acceleration is usually 15-20% higher than cornering acceleration.

How are you calculating the lateral acceleration? I suppose you must be assuming some corner radius?
Not the engineer at Force India

F1DataAnalysis

Tim.Wright wrote:
14 May 2022, 00:09
F1DataAnalysis wrote:
Thank you for your input: the lateral acceleration is calculated, and the noise could be more easy to mistake for ‘signal’ in these scatterplot than when plotted as a function of time. I’ve noticed that too, I have to check the noise level of the lateral acceleration (the longitudinal acceleration comes from the derivative of speed and its values seem closer to what I expected (even somewhat lower, considering that F1 cars reached 6.0g peaks in Australia 2017 when braking)
The speed traces are really noisy - seems like it's coming directly from GPS. You will never get a good quality acceleration from such a speed trace.

Another thing to consider when checking the feasibility of the calculated acceleration is that braking acceleration is usually 15-20% higher than cornering acceleration.

How are you calculating the lateral acceleration? I suppose you must be assuming some corner radius?
The speed trace is not noisy: in fact, the problem is the opposite, the low sampling rate. The speed signal is interpolated using a constant sampling time (without increasing the number of samples) before taking the derivative.
I agree on the expected braking acceleration being higher/equal than the lateral acceleration, for example, due to the drag. In fact, this is my very first attempt and is still very rough. I will try a validation by comparing my time signals with what is shown during an appropriate onboard. The lateral acceleration is calculated in polar coordinates, using the speed signals and spline-interpolated 2D coordinates of the car by GPS. So the corner radius is not assumed but is estimated for each instant from the effective trajectory. I've also seen that the results in Bahrain are much more reasonable (around 5g for both braking and lateral), while in Miami, the maximum lateral acceleration is due to two 'spikes': I will look into that to understand what generates them. Thank you!
Follow me for F1 Data and Telemetry Analyses: Support the page and request custom analyses:

Tim.Wright

F1DataAnalysis wrote:
14 May 2022, 11:50

The speed trace is not noisy: in fact, the problem is the opposite, the low sampling rate. The speed signal is interpolated using a constant sampling time (without increasing the number of samples) before taking the derivative.
I agree on the expected braking acceleration being higher/equal than the lateral acceleration, for example, due to the drag. In fact, this is my very first attempt and is still very rough. I will try a validation by comparing my time signals with what is shown during an appropriate onboard. The lateral acceleration is calculated in polar coordinates, using the speed signals and spline-interpolated 2D coordinates of the car by GPS. So the corner radius is not assumed but is estimated for each instant from the effective trajectory. I've also seen that the results in Bahrain are much more reasonable (around 5g for both braking and lateral), while in Miami, the maximum lateral acceleration is due to two 'spikes': I will look into that to understand what generates them. Thank you!
Compared to what you normally get from a data acquisition systen the speed trace is extremely noisy. This is what it should look like:
Reason is probably that you are getting an uncorrected GPS signal which cannot be used for any meaningful performance analysis due to the inadequate signal to noise ratio.

You can check this yourself - make a plot of the curvature profile calculated from the trajectory. Every corner shoud show a clean build-up of curvature to a single peak then reduction to zero. If you have a lot of curvature peaks in the trajectory then you can't use it to calculate a reliable lateral acceleration.
Not the engineer at Force India

bagajohny

dialtone wrote:
13 May 2022, 18:36

https://i.imgur.com/vG1dwEr.png
I have taken peak top speed reached by them every time they went through a DRS zone except start/finish straight for all the laps in the video. Here are the screenshots of the same,

https://imgur.com/a/VLKRgtC

The differences are as follows,
  1. 18kmph
  2. 20kmph
  3. 18kmph
  4. 19kmph
  5. 25kmph
  6. 31kmph
  7. 24kmph
  8. 32kmph
If you read this article, you have to say that Ferrari PU is clearly at a disadvantage.

https://the-race.com/formula-1/what-sto ... i-f1-blow/
“He had an issue with a sensor on one of the cylinders, so he was lost a lot of time,” Horner explained.

“The guys managed to move the sensors around but he was down probably 20kw in power as a result.”

Perez agreed: “It was never the same. I was losing too much time. It was like 10km/h down on the straights.”

“Even with the advantage of the new tyre he had, he was probably half a second off what the car was capable of in straightline speed,” said Horner.

“And I think without that, he would have probably even been P2.”

napoleon1981

Tim.Wright wrote:
14 May 2022, 00:09
F1DataAnalysis wrote:

I read somewhere it was 47 laps without DRS overlaid. Hence the noise as car have different levels of fuel and laps are at different phases of the race. Overall not much difference, contrary to what the believe is. I was quite surprised too.

Spacepace

https://www.planetf1.com/news/miami-tra ... omplaints/

Interesting interview with the designer of the track. Supposedly they used something called a FOD BOSS(electrostatic track cleaner) Saturday morning. Although track temps were 10°C difference I would imagine this could have had an effect of how the cars used there tyres