2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
De Jokke

Re: Mercedes W13

PhillipM wrote:
21 May 2022, 14:17
De Jokke wrote:
21 May 2022, 10:47
*has its engine only where it wants it to be from race 6 onwards
All teams do that, it's constant revision, apart from RB/Honda, who obviously went risky to start with and look what it landed them on the engine side.
best engine? (yes they broke down, but max has already reeled in leclerc, due to start finish overtakes)
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

Hazmat
Hazmat

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

No excuse? Apart from Ferrari having such a poor finish in previous years it gave them multiple amounts of wind tunnel
and CFD more than Merc

Same to a certain degree with RB they had more time and runs.

That’s indisputable fact

PhillipM
PhillipM

De Jokke wrote:
21 May 2022, 14:20

best engine? (yes they broke down, but max has already reeled in leclerc, due to start finish overtakes)
So what exactly do you think pushing the engines to the limit of reliability for another tenth or two and the odd non-finish when they went pop would have gotten Mercedes so far?

Bar less points, and less time to sort their car issues?

PlatinumZealot

De Jokke wrote:
21 May 2022, 10:47
Anybody else surprised why an 8x wcc team:

*has underestimated purpoising compared to rival teams
*could only bring a modified wing after a number of races instead after the winter tests
*has its engine only where it wants it to be from race 6 onwards

Seriously baffled by these amateurish approach to 2022, you would expect more from an 8x wcc team.

I'm not here to bash the team but it has to be said: they missed the boat by a large margin this season.

I really hope they can still compete this season with fer and rbr:
+they can now hone the setup with the modified bits
+they can now bring a raft of updates which are for performance, not for purpoising fixing anymore
-they might be done this season, if the rumour that they are close to the limit of the budget cap already, is true
What really pains me is how the 2021 WDC was stolen by Michael Masi. LH44 is getting on in age, and George is every bit a match for him in pace at the moment, and will get quicker as LH44 gets slower. Then we have the situation with the car. I don't see the 8XWDC happening again.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PhillipM
PhillipM

De Jokke wrote:
21 May 2022, 14:20
Example right there :wink:

organic

Was expecting Hamilton to beat Russell once the car was more driveable/more confidence inspiring. Still good progress but hopefully he can get his mojo back and then fight a bit further up.

rickybobbyf1
rickybobbyf1

organic wrote:
21 May 2022, 17:13
Was expecting Hamilton to beat Russell once the car was more driveable/more confidence inspiring. Still good progress but hopefully he can get his mojo back and then fight a bit further up.
Same thoughts. It’s getting hard to justify his slump. I hope he recovers…

AA_2019
AA_2019

Decent qualy result

Now need to concentrate on being clever in the race with strategy. They will need to think on their feet and not be stupid with VSC/SC situations
One day AI might be able to fix the W13 zero pod concept !

De Jokke

rickybobbyf1 wrote:
21 May 2022, 17:17
organic wrote:
It's clear he's not walking around with a clear mind. George is.

De Jokke

6 tenths down... however wolff sounded optimistic they can close it (pretty soon) now they understand the bouncing way better. Coming races will be telling.

Titles are probably gone, wins and poles perhaps still possible.
W13 didn't disappoint on the superstition subject... :(

mkay
mkay

rickybobbyf1 wrote:
organic wrote:
This is the first race weekend where the car is actually driveable and Lewis is only trailing George by 1 tenth. :roll:

Big Tea

I suppose in comparison Merc are this week where the others were at the first race. (depending on what they have altered) any 'fiddling' they have done to improve the car is probably no longer relevant as flow patterns and maybe even suspension behaviour could be different.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

wogx

Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

Hazmat
Hazmat

rickybobbyf1 wrote:
organic wrote:
There are 19 other drivers that wish they had highs in their careers as good as this “slump” so don’t go too overboard with the criticism

ringo

He still wants to sniff whos at the front.
The team just wants him to know where is relative to his teammate who drives the same car which makes sense for engineers to analyse.
But i feel Lewis is still seething from the 2021 loss and is keeping an eye on if he can at some point fight Max.

George does look more locked in this weekend. He is really attacking.
Lewis seems sure footes but dull.
Age is really a factor. The young guys really have the bit between their teeth.

But from the past Lewis tends to setup for rhe race and can give a few tenths away in qualifying to compromise. He should have good race pace.. but then track position is King in Barcelona.
For Sure!!