2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Emag wrote:
22 May 2022, 16:39
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
22 May 2022, 16:33
RICs pace is the most baffling. He hasn’t been happy at all this race. The differential between NOR and RIC is huge
It's baffling how a driver who was almost matching Max back in 2018 can be humbled so badly by Lando in so many different occasions.

I mean, the dude was barely standing up during the driver's parade yet he manages to outpace his teammate so hard.

Either Lando is a generational talent being wasted away on the midfield. Or Daniel has been slowly using his edge over the last couple of years
Reluctantly I have to agree. I had mega expectations of RIC. I rated him as a potential future world champion but something isn’t clicking. He didn’t make that last step that the likes of RUS/VER/LEC did make. It also perhaps shows how good NOR is?!

blastdoman
blastdoman

Lando's magnificent race, Daniel's sadly one more

CjC
CjC

Xero wrote:
22 May 2022, 16:29
Lando is catching Ocon. I wonder...

Edit: then lost all that gained time in half a lap. Ocon pacing himself.
I thought we were in for another Jeddah but Latfi ruined that- like he’s ruined many other drivers races this season :roll:
Just a fan's point of view

Mansell89
Mansell89

Darth-Piekus wrote:
22 May 2022, 16:34
Look.It's obvious the team hasn't optimised the upgrade package yet. I am confident once we do we will leap a significant amount in front of Alfa and Alpine and close to Mercedes.
We are a long way off Mercedes on all known evidence.

They’ve made a gigantic leap with their philosophy this weekend and I’d be amazed if we got near them this season quite frankly.

Not what I want to say, but I can’t see it any other way on all known evidence.

Be good to get a brand new PU though and at least aim for Row 4

Darth-Piekus

I suppose you might be right. We are still missing that new Wind Tunnel and Simulator. Can we expect the team to be able to produce cars that are championship material if that happens? After today I simply want a better driver in the place of Daniel. He has had many chances by now.
Last edited by Darth-Piekus on 22 May 2022, 16:48, edited 1 time in total.

CjC
CjC

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
22 May 2022, 16:41
Emag wrote:
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
22 May 2022, 16:33
RICs pace is the most baffling. He hasn’t been happy at all this race. The differential between NOR and RIC is huge
It's baffling how a driver who was almost matching Max back in 2018 can be humbled so badly by Lando in so many different occasions.

I mean, the dude was barely standing up during the driver's parade yet he manages to outpace his teammate so hard.

Either Lando is a generational talent being wasted away on the midfield. Or Daniel has been slowly using his edge over the last couple of years
Reluctantly I have to agree. I had mega expectations of RIC. I rated him as a potential future world champion but something isn’t clicking. He didn’t make that last step that the likes of RUS/VER/LEC did make. It also perhaps shows how good NOR is?!
I agree with both posts.
There is no question about it now- he’s under huge pressure.
I’m resisting criticising because of Monza ‘21 BUT Lando would have picked up the win if Ric didn’t, it’s not like Ric was in another league pace wise and won by 30 seconds….

Swed3120
Swed3120

Just wondering if the Mercedes PUs are such a good idea considering the last few laps, good power gain but maybe at the cost of reliability

CjC
CjC

Swed3120 wrote:
22 May 2022, 16:49
Just wondering if the Mercedes PUs are such a good idea considering the last few laps, good power gain but maybe at the cost of reliability
What other option is there?
Also 2 Ferrari DNFs today….?

Darth-Piekus

As much as I want to give Daniel another chance I'm afraid that train has passed. He has had too many chances and it's obvious he's no longer the Daniel we all saw in Red Bull and Renault.

Emag
Emag

Mansell89 wrote:
22 May 2022, 16:46
Darth-Piekus wrote:
22 May 2022, 16:34
Look.It's obvious the team hasn't optimised the upgrade package yet. I am confident once we do we will leap a significant amount in front of Alfa and Alpine and close to Mercedes.
We are a long way off Mercedes on all known evidence.

They’ve made a gigantic leap with their philosophy this weekend and I’d be amazed if we got near them this season quite frankly.

Not what I want to say, but I can’t see it any other way on all known evidence.

Be good to get a brand new PU though and at least aim for Row 4
Honestly, Lewis had the leader's pace today. Amazing drive by him.

Can't see McLaren being anywhere near that level in the short term future.

Haven't really seen any glimpses of "sunshine" from the McLaren car so far. Who knows, maybe something dials in at some point in the season.

But at the moment the defficiencies are quite substantial. Gotta set a target on Alfa (well Bottas) first before looking to the top 3.

Swed3120
Swed3120

CjC wrote:
22 May 2022, 16:48
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
22 May 2022, 16:41
Emag wrote:

I agree with both posts.
There is no question about it now- he’s under huge pressure.
I’m resisting criticising because of Monza ‘21 BUT Lando would have picked up the win if Ric didn’t, it’s not like Ric was in another league pace wise and won by 30 seconds….
I think one stat shows the Inevitibility of Danny rica Situation:

Of maccas 50 points 40/50 points have come from Norris , for every 1 of Dannys points , Norris has 4

UnaF1
UnaF1

Swed3120 wrote:
22 May 2022, 16:30
Swed3120 wrote:
Norris is very slowly gaining on ocon and where in the mix against haas , Alfa and alpine , as far as im aware that’s where we want to be , tbf to bottas , he has driven exeptionally in the Alfa this weekend but they are far to incosistant
We need to remember that according to the Team , Norris nearly fainted this morning and therefore can’t be getting everything out of the macca
Also , 2 key factors being the car clearly likes cold conditions and Barcelona has always been a bad circuit for us
So, what exactly does it mean, that McLaren created another dog of a car? I mean, if it doesn't work around Catalunha, it won't work anywhere, right?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

CjC wrote:
22 May 2022, 15:59
blastdoman wrote:
22 May 2022, 15:33
Xero wrote:
22 May 2022, 15:30

Insightful input as always. I think you're in the wrong place.
Perhaps you are the one in charge in this forum and you have to say what we forum members have or do not have to talk about
Your comment isn’t going to well received in the Mclaren thread though is it?

Mclaren developed further their 2021 car than any of the current midfield runners last season.
To see Haas and Alfa ahead at this stage of the season isn’t a big suprise to me… although it’s still frustrating
Add to it that McLaren effectively had less Wind Tunnel and CFD Time because of their position in the championship and that the facilities of the other 2 teams aren’t anything to scoff at and it’s in within the expected scenarios.

Emag
Emag

UnaF1 wrote:
22 May 2022, 16:57
Swed3120 wrote:
Swed3120 wrote:
Norris is very slowly gaining on ocon and where in the mix against haas , Alfa and alpine , as far as im aware that’s where we want to be , tbf to bottas , he has driven exeptionally in the Alfa this weekend but they are far to incosistant
We need to remember that according to the Team , Norris nearly fainted this morning and therefore can’t be getting everything out of the macca
Also , 2 key factors being the car clearly likes cold conditions and Barcelona has always been a bad circuit for us
So, what exactly does it mean, that McLaren created another dog of a car? I mean, if it doesn't work around Catalunha, it won't work anywhere, right?
Spain was relatively weak in 2019, 2020 and 2021. On all of those years the car ended up being the best midfield car overall.

No need to throw the towel in race 5.

Swed3120
Swed3120

UnaF1 wrote:
22 May 2022, 16:57
Swed3120 wrote:
Swed3120 wrote:
Nope not at all
Midfield doesn’t equal dog
Still have to remember we are fighting a engine manufacture and a team with a brand new wind tunnel , neither of which we have.

Also we were pretty useless around Catalonya in 2021 and 2020 and yet where pretty good elsewhere