How useless is sky sports f1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
MattWellsyWells

Re: How useless is sky sports f1

Swed3120 wrote:
22 May 2022, 17:20
Is there any possible way of forcing sky sports f1 out of F1 broadcasts

Some of there pundits are good , particularly Ted , but so many of them are completely biased towards both sides , and just entirely crap.

They spend 30min discussing what Hamilton did in P15 and didn’t discuss anything of the other action , just really tired of how they focus almost 99% of they’re Air time on russel, Hamilton , Norris and Mercedes. It’s a British broadcaster but sadly half of u across the world have to listen to their unprofessional crap on the worldwide broadcast
If you're in the UK you could try listening to the BBC radio commentary while watching the TV on mute. They do a countdown to help people sync it. They don't have Jolyon Palmer on it anymore which is a shame but usually have a good team on.

Zynerji

Quantum wrote:
23 May 2022, 10:46
silver wrote:
23 May 2022, 03:56
Swed3120 wrote:

Some of there pundits are good , particularly Ted , but so many of them are completely biased towards both sides , and just entirely crap.

They spend 30min discussing what Hamilton did in P15 and didn’t discuss anything of the other action , just really tired of how they focus almost 99% of they’re Air time on russel, Hamilton , Norris and Mercedes. It’s a British broadcaster but sadly half of u across the world have to listen to their unprofessional crap on the worldwide broadcast
Ted is probably the worst. He knows little and portrays like a pro. I like A Davidson, Brundle and Rachel Brooks (most measured of all). Crofty, Johnny and rest of the crew are just cringe worthy and notoriously British driver biased. Fair amount is ok but even for brits it's over the top. Naomi currently is a good addition. Is it a monopoly of Sky over F1?
Brundle measured?
I've watched races where he hasn't participated and didn't even notice. He is an identi-kit commentator. And by that I mean he will speak for 5 minutes without saying a damn thing. The other issue, is that if you pay attention to what he is saying you'll notice he he says the same thing at each GP. At many points in a GP you'll see a strategy developing and he'll be away with the fairies about how great a car looks over the kerbs or how wonderful driver x is, or the struggle Williams have (ohhh it's every race for the last 3 years).

The saving grace though, is that at least he is not Will Buxton. Prima Donna Buxton would put me off the sport completely. Always cautious so as not to upset anyone who would revoke his after-race party invite.
And I think that's an issue in general. The media circus is embedded with the teams and many of them don't say what they should, for fear of being isolated.
You should catch a F1TV replay with Palmer and Buxton. It's really very good, and I wasn't a huge Buxton fan before.

Quantum

Zynerji wrote:
23 May 2022, 11:39
Quantum wrote:
silver wrote:
23 May 2022, 03:56
Ted is probably the worst. He knows little and portrays like a pro. I like A Davidson, Brundle and Rachel Brooks (most measured of all). Crofty, Johnny and rest of the crew are just cringe worthy and notoriously British driver biased. Fair amount is ok but even for brits it's over the top. Naomi currently is a good addition. Is it a monopoly of Sky over F1?
Brundle measured?
I've watched races where he hasn't participated and didn't even notice. He is an identi-kit commentator. And by that I mean he will speak for 5 minutes without saying a damn thing. The other issue, is that if you pay attention to what he is saying you'll notice he he says the same thing at each GP. At many points in a GP you'll see a strategy developing and he'll be away with the fairies about how great a car looks over the kerbs or how wonderful driver x is, or the struggle Williams have (ohhh it's every race for the last 3 years).

The saving grace though, is that at least he is not Will Buxton. Prima Donna Buxton would put me off the sport completely. Always cautious so as not to upset anyone who would revoke his after-race party invite.
And I think that's an issue in general. The media circus is embedded with the teams and many of them don't say what they should, for fear of being isolated.
You should catch a F1TV replay with Palmer and Buxton. It's really very good, and I wasn't a huge Buxton fan before.

A friend in Belgium mentioned Palmer saying "Mercedes had the best car" in Barcelona.
With analysis like that, I'd rather no commentary at all. As for Buxton, the less I say the better :D
"Interplay of triads"

SiLo

I think their coverage, whilst biased sometimes, is worlds beyond what we used to have and people should really appreciate it more.
Felipe Baby!

Zynerji

Quantum wrote:
23 May 2022, 12:08
Zynerji wrote:
23 May 2022, 11:39
Quantum wrote:

Brundle measured?

A friend in Belgium mentioned Palmer saying "Mercedes had the best car" in Barcelona.
With analysis like that, I'd rather no commentary at all. As for Buxton, the less I say the better :D
Toto and Lewis both say they could have won in spain without the first lap contact. So, there is that...

As long as Buxton is better than James Allen, and Palmer is better than Brundle, I'll continue with the F1TV coverage!

Quantum

Zynerji wrote:
23 May 2022, 17:06
Toto and Lewis both say they could have won in spain without the first lap contact. So, there is that...

As long as Buxton is better than James Allen, and Palmer is better than Brundle, I'll continue with the F1TV coverage!
And I'd disagree with Wolff and Hamilton on those counts.

If F1TV is what works for you, then all the better for you.
"Interplay of triads"

astracrazy

Sky can be good, but it really depends who they have on. They have a lot of "dinosaurs" in their team and I find their relevance deteriorates as the years go by.

Their anchors are ok with Simon, Natalie and Rebecca(?). Ted does his thing.

Their analysis team is hit and miss. When they have Jenson or Nico on then it tends to be pretty good, I thought Button doing commentary the other week worked really well. Nico brings some really good analysis, but I guess he is the most recent F1 driver. Karim, Di Resta and Davidson are a level down to them, but they are ok. I personally feel sorry for Naomi Schiff when she is on there, clearly out of her depth and just seems to be carried through any appearance. Hill and Herbert I think have had their day now, the sport has moved so far on I just don't see what they bring to the table any more.

I like Brundle, but don't miss him when he isn't on. I guess you could put him in the same catagory as Hill and Herbert, but he does get to drive some recent F1 cars and holds some legendary status I suppose. I do think there is better now though. Crofty I have never rated. He makes some glaring mistakes in his commentary. At least now you can see for yourself, but when he was on the radio I often felt sorry for those people who listened - they heard a different race to what was really happening.

I think one of the main problems with Sky is their team is pretty stale and could do with a shake up. Some new people with recent F1 experience to replace the old guard and a new commentary team.

Chuckjr

Bring back Bob Varsha.
Watching F1 since 1986.

CMSMJ1

Chuckjr wrote:
24 May 2022, 10:42
Bring back Bob Varsha.
I have a few SpeedTV races on my HDD from back in the day - Varsha and that team, Hobbs and Matcheet - they were pretty good

SiLo wrote:
23 May 2022, 14:09
I think their coverage, whilst biased sometimes, is worlds beyond what we used to have and people should really appreciate it more.
Indeed - once upon a time we had Jonathan Legard on the BBC footage...that was dire.

I find the BT Sport MotoGP coverage is the best out there of the racing I watch. it is excellent
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

PlatinumZealot

Swed3120 wrote:

No coverage in your native language?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

Chuckjr wrote:
24 May 2022, 10:42
Bring back Bob Varsha.
Speedvision was my first channel for F1 I think (and really motorsports in general). Coverage was more or less OK. Looking back it now Bob Varsha and David Hobbs were super casual... Almost too casual.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Juzh

Edwards and Palmer was peak commentary when they were both on for bahrain GP, in my opinion best commentary duo ever. A real shame they insist on buxton for most of the events, at some point this season the dude didn't know DRS doesn't open for 2 laps after SC lol:
https://www.reddit.com/r/F1TV/comments/ ... r/i46ofin/

Airshifter

Not thrilled with most of the combinations these days. I do like Palmer but I can't stand Buxton most of the time.

Varsha, Hobbs, Matchett were the best combination I remember in recent times. Not overly dramatic, had some jabs and fun with each other, but all informed enough to give good commentary.

bagajohny

I rate

Channel4 > Sky > F1TV

for commentary. Bias can be everywhere but C4 is more relevant to action on track compared to usual bullshit of crofty on Sky.

thestig84

Disagree with appreciating skyf1 just because it's not as bad as we have had before!? It's completely stagnated and some of the long running members of the team look as worn out as their opinions.
Don't get me started on Crofty!

The only way to enjoy F1 coverage for me is world feed with BBCF1 audio. It was peak with Palmer but still pretty good when he hasn't been on this year. Do miss him though. Excellent pundit/commentator
Last edited by thestig84 on 27 May 2022, 17:23, edited 1 time in total.