[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2020 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
variante

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2020 (Grand Prix Cars)

Koldskaal wrote:
12 May 2022, 20:41
What you are seeing is as far as I got :lol:
Ah, then i'm not worried at all :lol:

Koldskaal wrote:
12 May 2022, 20:41
I saw a familiar name on reddit claiming to have performed 150 simulations on a 2022 car.
Wow, i've just read the report. Impressive.

Koldskaal

A quick preview of whats to come:

spacehead3, has graciously provided the laptime simulator we will be using. So things are almost ready for the big reboot.

We're planning for the calendar to look like this:

Race 1: Silverstone, July 3rd

Race 2: Hungary, July 31st

Race 3: Monza, Sep. 11th

Race 4: COTA, oct. 23rd

Final race: Interlagos, Nov. 20th

Now the question is, would you guys prefer to move the first race to July 10th (Austria). Or are you ok with the short development time?
MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian

CAEdevice

Hi Christian. In my opinion July 10th would be better, or even later. I think that a team starting from scratch would need much more than a month of development, also considering some days to setup the software and study the rules.

BlakjeKaas

Hey all,

It's good to see that we're going to get another season underway!
In my opinion it wouldn't really make sense to skip an MVRC season, only to rush through the next one.
I personally don't have the legality boxes, so I can't start on designing a car until those are released.
I'd prefer to have at least a month between the release of the rules & legality boxes and the first race of the season.
That way, I hope to be able to at least get a car ready which is legal and has sufficient cooling and air intake.
Within a month, I couldn't even dream of having an aerodynamically working floor or sidepods, but the front and rear wing should be doable.

So in short, I wouldn't mind a bit more time in the slightest, especially with the legality boxes & rules not yet posted.
MVRC: Tulip Racing

variante

Great news!
Seems like you want to get in sinc with the F1 calendar? Interesting.

But i agree with the other guys. No need to rush it at this point, especially since the rules are not out yet. Some people might as well put out a working car in a couple of weeks, while others might not have the free time to do it as quickly.

Koldskaal

Thanks for the input guys 👍
MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian

yinlad

Koldskaal wrote:
27 May 2022, 20:56
A quick preview of whats to come:
https://i.imgur.com/7QUxz4R.jpg

spacehead3, has graciously provided the laptime simulator we will be using. So things are almost ready for the big reboot.

We're planning for the calendar to look like this:

Race 1: Silverstone, July 3rd

Race 2: Hungary, July 31st

Race 3: Monza, Sep. 11th

Race 4: COTA, oct. 23rd

Final race: Interlagos, Nov. 20th

Now the question is, would you guys prefer to move the first race to July 10th (Austria). Or are you ok with the short development time?
10th would be better I think, but it depends when the rules get released too I suppose. If it was tomorrow, maybe the 3rd isn't too bad, it's a bit different if they come on the 1st July :D I still think the extra week would be welcomed anyway, though losing Silverstone would be a bit sad
MVRC - Panthera

etsmc

if we get the rules in the next couple of days then 3rd July would be ok.

Salamander

Should the new rules be ready, I assume a new topic will be raised called "[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2022 (new reg Grand Prix Cars)" or something like that?
Going to be tough to get a car ready within a month, would love to compete this time around.
2 years ago I just had the front-wing/rear-wing/chassis ready and was working on the first iteration of the floor.
Hopefully I can re-use some airfoil profiles to speed up the process this time around.
Looking forward to the new rules.

Hutchie.91

I would definitely be interested in taking part in this. Could someone explain to me a bit more about this? Im assuming we have to design a car in CAD that complies with a certain set of regs, we then send these models over for CFD, then plug in the downforce and drag numbers along with wheelbase and wheel track data from the CAD model into a lap sim?

Could anyone who has done an engineering degree with a generic understanding of how to use surface design in Catia or NX have a decent go at this, and could be done as a little part-time hobby on weekends? Or is it a bit more 'high end' in that it's more for power users who already have careers and solid industry experience in automotive/racecar design?

yinlad

Hutchie.91 wrote:
01 Jun 2022, 16:16
I would definitely be interested in taking part in this. Could someone explain to me a bit more about this? Im assuming we have to design a car in CAD that complies with a certain set of regs, we then send these models over for CFD, then plug in the downforce and drag numbers along with wheelbase and wheel track data from the CAD model into a lap sim?

Could anyone who has done an engineering degree with a generic understanding of how to use surface design in Catia or NX have a decent go at this, and could be done as a little part-time hobby on weekends? Or is it a bit more 'high end' in that it's more for power users who already have careers and solid industry experience in automotive/racecar design?
You got it pretty much spot on. There's a wide range of abilities, I'd never done any cad before giving it a go so definitely no prerequisites
MVRC - Panthera

variante

Hutchie.91 wrote:
You got it. You're also supposed to run some CFD yourself, if you want to have any hope of achieving good results. You can do so with a software of your choice, or with the one provided by MantiumCAE, which is super easy to use.

Hutchie.91 wrote:
Give it a go! Maybe don't set your expectations too high for the first races, but focus on having fun and enjoying the learning curve.

Over the years, many people have tried this competition. Some were newbies, some were high-end professionals.
But, in the end, that didn't matter much. The time you're willing to spend on this plays a big role. Talent may also eclipse experience. And -why not- you need some luck too.

Stu

variante wrote:
02 Jun 2022, 10:38
Hutchie.91 wrote:
You got it. You're also supposed to run some CFD yourself, if you want to have any hope of achieving good results. You can do so with a software of your choice, or with the one provided by MantiumCAE, which is super easy to use.

Hutchie.91 wrote:
Give it a go! Maybe don't set your expectations too high for the first races, but focus on having fun and enjoying the learning curve.

Over the years, many people have tried this competition. Some were newbies, some were high-end professionals.
But, in the end, that didn't matter much. The time you're willing to spend on this plays a big role. Talent may also eclipse experience. And -why not- you need some luck too.
Is there an entry fee?
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

yinlad

Stu wrote:
02 Jun 2022, 13:23
Is there an entry fee?
There never has been, so I suspect that is still the case
MVRC - Panthera

Stu

Whether I get it entered or not I think that I will have a go at designing, only got 2D CAD though
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.