How useless is sky sports f1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Zynerji

Re: How useless is sky sports f1

Mr5in1 wrote:
30 May 2022, 23:20
Do you get F1TV in the UK now?

I hate the price for Sky sports F1, I would ditch everyone except Brundle, Ted and Karun.

I dont mind Nico, he calls out anyone, I also thought Danica in Miami was not bad too.

Brundle seems like Marmite for some in this forum, I've grown up listening to Brundle love his knowledge and passion for F1
I didn't know how little Brundle actually knows of modern F1 until I heard Jolyon Palmer. That man is an amazing driver-turned-commentator, and smokes Brundle at his best.

SiLo

Zynerji wrote:
30 May 2022, 23:32
Mr5in1 wrote:

I hate the price for Sky sports F1, I would ditch everyone except Brundle, Ted and Karun.

I dont mind Nico, he calls out anyone, I also thought Danica in Miami was not bad too.

Brundle seems like Marmite for some in this forum, I've grown up listening to Brundle love his knowledge and passion for F1
I didn't know how little Brundle actually knows of modern F1 until I heard Jolyon Palmer. That man is an amazing driver-turned-commentator, and smokes Brundle at his best.
I have F1TV and prefer their feed which usually has Sam Collins, Ben Edwards, Jolyon Palmer etc. It's a different take and a bit more refreshing.

Plus is worlds cheaper than paying for Sky. Sky isn't bad, it's expensive.
Felipe Baby!

Mr5in1

SiLo wrote:
31 May 2022, 11:35
Zynerji wrote:
Mr5in1 wrote:

I have F1TV and prefer their feed which usually has Sam Collins, Ben Edwards, Jolyon Palmer etc. It's a different take and a bit more refreshing.

But the pro version of F1TV is not available in the UK how quickly are races available on the non pro version?

chrisc90

Never even realised that F1 TV couldnt watch the races live in the UK. Thats mad. I guess Sky will have some sort of deal with F1 for broadcasting rights.

Theres always a VPN to say your somewhere else in Europe.

astracrazy

Quantum wrote:
30 May 2022, 18:09
So the SkyF1 commentary team got wasted at Red Bull's energy station on Friday night.

I do wonder how much is held back by commentary/journo's for fear of party passes being revoked.
Or posh dinners which happened at Miami with other SkyF1 pundits and another team - I forget which team it was.

I guess it explains why so many of them seem to have bias favourties, probably trying to ensure an invite to the next event.

SiLo

Mr5in1 wrote:
31 May 2022, 23:08
SiLo wrote:
31 May 2022, 11:35
Zynerji wrote:

But the pro version of F1TV is not available in the UK how quickly are races available on the non pro version?
No idea, I already pay for a VPN so I'm making extra use of it and paying for F1TVPro as well. £60 a year to watch all the F1 and F2, with all the other features is an absolute bargain.
Felipe Baby!

Quantum

astracrazy wrote:
31 May 2022, 23:29
Quantum wrote:
So the SkyF1 commentary team got wasted at Red Bull's energy station on Friday night.

I do wonder how much is held back by commentary/journo's for fear of party passes being revoked.
Or posh dinners which happened at Miami with other SkyF1 pundits and another team - I forget which team it was.

I guess it explains why so many of them seem to have bias favourties, probably trying to ensure an invite to the next event.
Yup, happens a lot.
I'm sure the criss-crossing of individual career paths and teams will always have some element of it, but it seems the F1 circus is fully integrated into media, both feeding off each other.
There are some standouts, but even then they still have their favourites. Joe Saward is pretty sharp tongued for example, which led to him not covering some races. Seemingly also had a giant sized Williams blindspot.
Karun too, ever so nice to the Williams squad.

After some reflection I think the whole F1 Bubble is exactly that, jetting off around the world for 9 months of the year, fraternise with certain teams and drivers, get some exclusives, go to a few parties, the bias will show naturally.
The status quo will remain. Jonathan Legard was an outsider coming in, and didn't last very long. That's not really a reflection of his ability in my view, as he never really hit it off with Brundle.
Rumours they didn't get on either, denied by Brundle of course. Yet his football commentary wasn't much of an issue for a decade. Note, I didnt rate his F1 commentary.

Button and Rosberg seem to be free of this and can speak their mind....I guess being a former world champion will allow for that.
"Interplay of triads"

astracrazy

Quantum wrote:
01 Jun 2022, 09:52
astracrazy wrote:
31 May 2022, 23:29
Quantum wrote:

Yup, happens a lot.
I'm sure the criss-crossing of individual career paths and teams will always have some element of it, but it seems the F1 circus is fully integrated into media, both feeding off each other.
There are some standouts, but even then they still have their favourites. Joe Saward is pretty sharp tongued for example, which led to him not covering some races. Seemingly also had a giant sized Williams blindspot.
Karun too, ever so nice to the Williams squad.

After some reflection I think the whole F1 Bubble is exactly that, jetting off around the world for 9 months of the year, fraternise with certain teams and drivers, get some exclusives, go to a few parties, the bias will show naturally.
The status quo will remain. Jonathan Legard was an outsider coming in, and didn't last very long. That's not really a reflection of his ability in my view, as he never really hit it off with Brundle.
Rumours they didn't get on either, denied by Brundle of course. Yet his football commentary wasn't much of an issue for a decade. Note, I didnt rate his F1 commentary.

Button and Rosberg seem to be free of this and can speak their mind....I guess being a former world champion will allow for that.
Which was conveniently followed up by him getting his mate, DC, the gig - so we make of that what we will.

Schuttelberg

Zynerji wrote:
Mr5in1 wrote:

I agree that Martin from time to time does mess up but so does Jolyon. It really sometimes depends what we feel about a certain situation as well. As much as we deny that, it does affect our own judgement. Palmer was literally having to hold on to his tongue from criticising the farce that was the start of the Monaco GP because of his employer.

Brundle and Palmer are both really good in my opinion. I think Chandokh started out fantastic and now his biased is for all to see. Croft is just a really poor version of Walker. Hill, Button are all really meh and the sight of Felipe Massa makes me want to mute any interview.

My honest opinion is that every journalist is too agenda driven. It's human nature but they're all just really too obvious. The YouTube podcasts started well but now they also seem quite biased.

My biggest pet peeve as of now is the kind of slander these so called "pundits" are dishing out to the legends/old guard of Hamilton, Ricciardo and Alonso too in some quarters. Don't even want to start out on Vettel because he's been the favourite punching bag even in his glory days. "They're finished" is just so pathetic and disrespectful. I really really want to see these 4 amazing drivers get their mojo back and fight at the front again just so these guys shut up!!!
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Big Tea

Lets face it, everyone who disagrees with me is crap
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Zynerji

Big Tea wrote:
08 Jun 2022, 13:01
*every thread on F1T* 🙄

adrianjordan

Zynerji wrote:
08 Jun 2022, 14:19
Big Tea wrote:
08 Jun 2022, 13:01
*every thread on F1T* 🙄
Every thread on any part of the Internet these days!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

adrianjordan

It's interesting how people dislike Crofty, I really like him. Cannot stand Brundle and, despite enjoying Nico's YouTube channel, find that he grates on me whenever he's on F1 coverage. Button is great (biased though, he was my favourite driver for his entire career lol) and I could listen to Ted all day!!

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Big Tea

adrianjordan wrote:
18 Jun 2022, 00:55
It's interesting how people dislike Crofty, I really like him. Cannot stand Brundle and, despite enjoying Nico's YouTube channel, find that he grates on me whenever he's on F1 coverage. Button is great (biased though, he was my favourite driver for his entire career lol) and I could listen to Ted all day!!
I just wish Crofty would not go into horse race commentary mode and shout as fast as he can. That part does annoy me.

TBH most of the Sky team is OK, to me Brundle can do no wrong, but I first met him over 30 years ago so I'm biased.
The only surplus I feel are Herbert and Naiomi. they add nothing other than repeating what others have said, but they are OK. Hill can sometimes be a 'spare' but not annoying.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

adrianjordan

I think Naiomi is still finding her feet, she'll come good. After all, she's a driver, not a media person, so she has a steep learning curve.

My biggest complaint about Sky F1 actually is just how long it takes for them to get the latest race available to stream afterwards.

I work shifts so aren't always able to watch live and I use NowTV because a) I can't have a dish on my property and b) it means I can stop paying money out during the off season so works out cheaper. But some Sundays I get home from work hours after the race finished and still can't even watch highlights on SkyF1 on demand.