Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
mrluke

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

1158 wrote:
12 Apr 2022, 02:13
mrluke wrote:
12 Apr 2022, 02:02
AR3-GP wrote:
12 Apr 2022, 01:23

How does that work? If the fuel can't be above ambient plus 10 but you aren't allowed to cool it, how do you comply? I cant see that its impossible for the fuel to warm up from the engine heat, especially at hotter races. Is this to do with definition of "device" perhaps?
There is nothing about being above ambient. Only below.
Woops! Sorry you are correct

AR3-GP

Has Honda homologated a 2022 spec ERS yet?

Alexf1

AR3-GP wrote:
26 Apr 2022, 16:05
Has Honda homologated a 2022 spec ERS yet?
According to Horner they will implement any ERS improvement they will find between now and Sep. 1st.
https://racingnews365.com/horner-gratef ... ine-freeze

Roostfactor

@wazari can you/are you legally able to say anything about the previous fuel issues? Not a problem if you can't say, fully understood.

etusch

He made a comment at team thread and I looked here right away to find any news about engine.
I wonder how it is going development of ers system and I wonder if they improved the combustion system they used which was shared here as a video. Maybe new fuel helped them to step up that to next level.

Wazari

Roostfactor wrote:
18 May 2022, 02:10
@wazari can you/are you legally able to say anything about the previous fuel issues? Not a problem if you can't say, fully understood.
Just to clarify I am no longer involved with Honda's F1 program. Retirement in my opinion is overrated and I will probably get involved in a LMPh effort starting next month that plans to campaign in 2023.
That being said, hypothetically speaking, if I had a fuel pump cavitating issue I would probably move the fuel pick up to avoid future issues. Again hypothetically speaking, if vibrations caused an external fuel line union to come loose, I would probably change union types and change the brackets and/or locations to avoid future issues.

As far as the ERS, I am going to speculate a major upgrade before September 1st.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

Roostfactor

Wazari wrote:
19 May 2022, 02:02
Roostfactor wrote:
18 May 2022, 02:10
Just to clarify I am no longer involved with Honda's F1 program. Retirement in my opinion is overrated and I will probably get involved in a LMPh effort starting next month that plans to campaign in 2023.
That being said, hypothetically speaking, if I had a fuel pump cavitating issue I would probably move the fuel pick up to avoid future issues. Again hypothetically speaking, if vibrations caused an external fuel line union to come loose, I would probably change union types and change the brackets and/or locations to avoid future issues.

As far as the ERS, I am going to speculate a major upgrade before September 1st.
Thank you sir. Enjoy your new adventure!

holeindalip

Idk if it’s the newer cars or what but I’ve noticed at least the redbull main team has a weird harmonic vibration on the onboards. is this something that has been happening for awhile?

Wazari

holeindalip wrote:
23 May 2022, 14:08
Idk if it’s the newer cars or what but I’ve noticed at least the redbull main team has a weird harmonic vibration on the onboards. is this something that has been happening for awhile?
Yes it has, It is from the H-unit.

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

Alexf1

7 full weekends for PU1 and still running so it will probably go on as a friday engine for as long as possible. In this case PU2 will only have to do saturday and sunday for 7 or 8 weekends before it will become friday engine. Hopefully there's room for improvement like PU2 had last year. Would like a bit more torque low to mid rpm cause this is where Ferrari pulls the gap coming out of corners.

Wazari

It is not a torque issue. It is a suspension and gearing matter.

-- Honda Soichiro

organic

Wazari wrote:
01 Jun 2022, 03:01
It is not a torque issue. It is a suspension and gearing matter.
Very interesting. Would you say there is a significant difference in performance at certain speeds coming from the gearing of Ferrari Vs red bull? I've seen suggestions from some that it could matter but others quell that and say that gearing changes things little between the teams

etusch

I think there are many variables there. You can open throttle harder or can use one gear lower but if you don't have enough df to keep tyre at ground firmly then things can go whole wrong. Maybe Redbull's aero setting needs same amount of engine power a bit later compared to Ferrari.
The other part of this settings; I have read a comment from Sainz that he said that, he could not attack on perez after hotel section because his rear tyre were not good and could not accelerate good enough there. What I understand from this is, their high df + shorter gearing + good acceleration setting use rear tyres more and shorten rear tyre's life.

lucafo

etusch wrote:I think there are many variables there. You can open throttle harder or can use one gear lower but if you don't have enough df to keep tyre at ground firmly then things can go whole wrong. Maybe Redbull's aero setting needs same amount of engine power a bit later compared to Ferrari.
The other part of this settings; I have read a comment from Sainz that he said that, he could not attack on perez after hotel section because his rear tyre were not good and could not accelerate good enough there. What I understand from this is, their high df + shorter gearing + good acceleration setting use rear tyres more and shorten rear tyre's life.
Agreed!
And don't forget that Perez was in "clean" air!

etusch

lucafo wrote:
01 Jun 2022, 10:57
etusch wrote:I think there are many variables there. You can open throttle harder or can use one gear lower but if you don't have enough df to keep tyre at ground firmly then things can go whole wrong. Maybe Redbull's aero setting needs same amount of engine power a bit later compared to Ferrari.
Agreed!
And don't forget that Perez was in "clean" air!
In monaco I don't think that there is so much clean air + they were chasing 2 cars to lap. ( I could only watch last 30 minutes and talking about that last part )