A post EV era

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
lucafo

Re: A post EV era

hollus wrote:Too much politics if I remember correctly (there)
If this thread is taking the same direction, maybe the other topic should be open again.
Humans are politics and no technology advances by itself without being politic viable.

humble sabot

J.A.W. wrote:
19 May 2022, 09:25

(Funnily enough, the cops around here went nuts cracking down on kids putting ICE-motive kits on their bicycles,
yet appear to ignore the kitchen-appliance noise making E-powered idiocy shown by E-scooter/bicycle riders,
but hey, I dunno if this by Govt edict from above - or due to relevant legislation - not being as yet, promulgated?)
Have you noticed how poorly combusted and sooty those conversion kits run or do you just enjoy the idea of ICE being victimized by some mega powerful people?
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

J.A.W.

humble sabot wrote:
08 Jun 2022, 18:40
J.A.W. wrote:

(Funnily enough, the cops around here went nuts cracking down on kids putting ICE-motive kits on their bicycles,
yet appear to ignore the kitchen-appliance noise making E-powered idiocy shown by E-scooter/bicycle riders,
but hey, I dunno if this by Govt edict from above - or due to relevant legislation - not being as yet, promulgated?)
Have you noticed how poorly combusted and sooty those conversion kits run or do you just enjoy the idea of ICE being victimized by some mega powerful people?
Its only kids having a bit of cheap noisy fun, (& learning some mechanical skills) but cops want to get
all 'stand-over' with them, as 'law-breaking', while the E-bikes leave the cops non-plussed as to legality...

I still mow my lawn with an old, super-basic/very reliable 2-stroke mower, but use the same costly
low-smoke emission oil that I put in my 2-stroke motorcycles, so using it - the fumes don't annoy me.

Of course the subsidies/tax-emption status of expensive E-cars amounts to "victimizing" ICE in effect..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

Greg Locock

I must admit I did not shed a tear when the wheels metaphorically fell off my 2 stroke mower. My 22 year old Briggs and Stratton is quiet, starts first pull now (after I emptied all the clippings out of the carb), is not surrounded by blue smoke, and by sod's law will undoubtedly seize the next time I use it.

Andres125sx

J.A.W. wrote:
09 Jun 2022, 05:14

I still mow my lawn with an old, super-basic/very reliable 2-stroke mower, but use the same costly
low-smoke emission oil that I put in my 2-stroke motorcycles, so using it - the fumes don't annoy me.
So if you use low-smoke oil on your 2-stroke engines, then 2-stroke combustion becomes efficient, quiet and stop emitting toxic fumes?

J.A.W.

Andres125sx wrote:
09 Jun 2022, 08:10
J.A.W. wrote:

So if you use low-smoke oil on your 2-stroke engines, then 2-stroke combustion becomes efficient, quiet and stop emitting toxic fumes?
It always was quiet & efficient, which is why I've kept it so long, (it wont stall in longer grass like a 4T,
nor does it have an extension cord dragging along like an electric mower), but the high-tech oil allows
a lower ratio premix fuel blend (happily runs on ETOH added petrol, too), so only a pleasing smell of 2T
oil is present, which is a positive ambiance. (Not that O3, a toxic gas emitted by electrics - smells bad).

Also, the hydrocarbon emissions of cool-running S.I. 2T engines form far less toxic compounds than do
hotter-running high-compression ICE's, esp' worn units, or C.I. types burning diesel oil...

J.A.W.

Greg Locock wrote:
09 Jun 2022, 06:49
I must admit I did not shed a tear when the wheels metaphorically fell off my 2 stroke mower. My 22 year old Briggs and Stratton is quiet, starts first pull now (after I emptied all the clippings out of the carb), is not surrounded by blue smoke, and by sod's law will undoubtedly seize the next time I use it.
Mowers only draw tears of frustration in my experience, they are not really a object of desire to possess
emotive feelings about as such.

I've done a fair bit of mowing for an infirm relative with a late model Honda, & it compares unfavourably
with my ~35 year old Victa, being heavier/harder to push; heavier/harder to start; prone to stalling on heavy grass/steep slopes; needs oil-changes/disposal; both more readily clogs the catcher shute &
performs less effectively as a mulcher, & is more annoyingly noisy...

J.A.W.

Andres125sx wrote:
06 Jun 2022, 12:19
Sincerely, this thread should be locked.

Post-EV era... well, maybe some centuries ahead. But at this point this is like someone in 10th century wondering about space rockets when they´re centuries away from first ICE #-o

We might discuss electricity generation or storage, that would be a real debate, how to generate and store energy for EVs, but post EV era.... I can only think about teleportation as a replacement of EVs :mrgreen: :lol:
Rockets were in fact shooting into the sky, centuries prior to the advent of ICE machines, as it happens.
Even Sir Isaac Newton's scientific treatise on the principles involved in rocketry was, by centuries..

If you are thinking 'Star Trek' matter transmission, well frankly, more likely its a 'Soylent Green' version.

Andres125sx

J.A.W. wrote:
09 Jun 2022, 09:26
Andres125sx wrote:

Post-EV era... well, maybe some centuries ahead. But at this point this is like someone in 10th century wondering about space rockets when they´re centuries away from first ICE #-o

We might discuss electricity generation or storage, that would be a real debate, how to generate and store energy for EVs, but post EV era.... I can only think about teleportation as a replacement of EVs :mrgreen: :lol:
Rockets were in fact shooting into the sky, centuries prior to the advent of ICE machines, as it happens.
Even Sir Isaac Newton's scientific treatise on the principles involved in rocketry was, by centuries..

If you are thinking 'Star Trek' matter transmission, well frankly, more likely its a 'Soylent Green' version.
Rockets (fireworks) and space rockets, are very different things

J.A.W.

Andres125sx wrote:
10 Jun 2022, 07:31
J.A.W. wrote:
09 Jun 2022, 09:26
Andres125sx wrote:

Rockets (fireworks) and space rockets, are very different things
Principles are exactly the same, & in fact basic solid-fuel rockets (akin to the 1st rockets) are used
for space-flight launches, (it was a failure of the case-sealing of one such that caused a US shuttle crash).

Edit/Addit:

Of course almost 4 centuries ago, C. de Bergerac published a prescient 'science fiction' story with
rocket-powered space-flight, proof that even then - an awareness of the principles - were understood.
Last edited by J.A.W. on 11 Jun 2022, 02:32, edited 2 times in total.

J.A.W.

J.A.W. wrote:
humble sabot wrote:
08 Jun 2022, 18:40
J.A.W. wrote:

Its only kids having a bit of cheap noisy fun, (& learning some mechanical skills) but cops want to get
all 'stand-over' with them, as 'law-breaking', while the E-bikes leave the cops non-plussed as to legality...

Of course the subsidies/tax-emption status of expensive E-cars amounts to "victimizing" ICE in effect..
Well, well, wheel, on tonight's State news, a report that our Gov't reg's now permit cops to do a
'crack-down' on speeding/reckless-riding/non-helmet wearing E-scooter/bike riders, with limits
on speed for on pavement shared with pedestrians & on the roads proper.. just goes to show...

Greg Locock

An embarrassing study

gruntguru

The recharge must be high carbon intensity - coal fired? - the slope is almost as steep as the diesel - would be zero slope for zero-carbon recharging.

Same vehicle class compared?
je suis charlie

Andres125sx

Greg Locock wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 03:39
An embarrassing study

https://149366104.v2.pressablecdn.com/w ... 20x540.png
Source?

Gruntguru pointed out one of the reasons that might be another biased report. Looks like they´re using India or similar (worst case scenario) as if it was the average, with similar emissions per km, when reality is very different
Andres125sx wrote:
15 May 2022, 12:55
Life-cycle GNG emissions for different powertrainsin in different parts of the world, both for current cars and projected 2030 cars:

https://theicct.org/publication/a-globa ... nger-cars/

gruntguru

Interesting that GHG emissions for vehicle and battery manufacture don't decrease much over 9 years. Indicates that manufacture emissions are due to more than just electricity used. I wonder if they accounted for green steel (replacing coking coal with hydrogen) by 2030?
je suis charlie